88 Steering rack options/swaps by 4thfiero
Started on: 11-21-2019 10:52 AM
Replies: 11 (734 views)
Last post by: olejoedad on 12-10-2019 10:48 AM
4thfiero

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-21-2019 10:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 4thfieroSend a Private Message to 4thfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey guys, im looking to replace or rebuild my 88 fiero steering rack. I am told it has some slop in it and it did seize up on me once (before it was removed and cleaned up) since its not a sealed unit.

Im checking to see what advancements have been made in the Fiero community in regards to steering rack swaps/rebuild. Im looking for an option that works well obv, if not better than stock. Ive seen the F body swaps, and the corvette zr1 swaps...however the zr1 racks are also discontinued and hard to find if anything were to happen to it. I really want an option that is fixable or replaceable. And companies like Flaming River do not offer Fiero or Corvette options that WORK with Fiero.

So my questions to sum up are as follows:

1) Can the 88 Fiero steering rack be rebuilt to the point whee its basically brand new again? If so where can i find the parts to rebuild it?

2) Does anyone know of a good rack and pinion (power or manual) swap option to replace the stock 88 Fiero steering rack?

Thanks in advance everyone
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
fierosound

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post11-21-2019 11:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 4thfiero:

Can the 88 Fiero steering rack be rebuilt to the point whee its basically brand new again? If so where can i find the parts to rebuild it?

Yes. Rodney Dickman has all the parts including pinion bearings.
//www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum9/HTML/000045.html

------------------
My World of Wheels Winners (Click on links below)

3.4L Supercharged 87 GT and Super Duty 4 Indy #163

4thfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-21-2019 12:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 4thfieroSend a Private Message to 4thfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So Rodneys kit here should be good enough to basically FULLY restore functionality to an 88 fiero steering rack?? making it like brand new again?
fierosound

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post11-21-2019 02:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 4thfiero:

So Rodneys kit here should be good enough to basically FULLY restore functionality to an 88 fiero steering rack?? making it like brand new again?

Provided it isn't the pinion gear, rack teeth and housing that are damaged - YES.

Rodney Dickman has ALL the parts listed.
http://rodneydickman.com/ca...ts_sort_order&page=2

From the How To Thread...

Originally posted by fierosound:

NOTE: a "rebuild kit" for the 88 steering rack would be:
1 - passenger side rack bushing (see Dickman's site)
1 - 6200 Series pinion shaft ball bearing (lower end)
1 - Timken DB53313 pinion shaft roller bearing (upper end)
1 - pinion shaft seal GM part# 26006299 or National part# 222028
... and of course, inner/outer tie-rod ends as needed

PS - what do you mean the rack isn't sealed? Are you wading through deep pools of water?
There's boots at both ends, a dust cover pressed in the bottom of the pinion area, and boot over the top.

[This message has been edited by fierosound (edited 11-21-2019).]

4thfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-08-2019 12:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 4thfieroSend a Private Message to 4thfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So i was having issues turning with my current rack...(stock 88 rack) so i took it to my mechanic and he found the rack was like full of rust on the inside...he cleaned it all out and got rid of all the rust, and it works good again...but i was told this happened bcc the rack isnt a "sealed unit" where as a lot if not all POWER steering racks are sealed units. So thats where that comes from.

Im really trying to find a good solution for us Fiero guys when we have to replace steering racks...im currently talking to Flaming River in hopes they might consider making a replacement rack for the Fiero...but im not holding my breath.

------------------
88 GT Built 2.4 Ecotec Turbo
Custom JRZ Suspension

wftb

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-08-2019 01:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for wftbSend a Private Message to wftbEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
A power steering rack has extra seals inside to hold pressure. Maybe thats what he meant. I rebuilt my rack with Rodney's parts about 10 years ago and no problems since then. There was no corrosion inside of mine when I took it apart though.

------------------
86 GT built 2.2 ecotec turbo
rear SLA suspension
QA1 coilovers on tube arms

4thfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-08-2019 02:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 4thfieroSend a Private Message to 4thfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yeah that must be what he meant...those extra seals. Mines working good so far as well, but im worried it might fail again...and it would really be nice to have a nice new option to simply bolt in and replace our stock racks with a new manual rack from flaming river. Ima keep bugging them about making one for the Fiero. *fingers crossed*
wftb

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-08-2019 05:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for wftbSend a Private Message to wftbEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You can get rebuilt racks from Canadian Tire or a parts store. I think they are around 400.00 though, thats why I got Rodney's kit...

------------------
86 GT built 2.2 ecotec turbo
rear SLA suspension
QA1 coilovers on tube arms

cam-a-lot

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 99
Rate this member

Report this Post12-08-2019 06:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cam-a-lotSend a Private Message to cam-a-lotEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by wftb:

You can get rebuilt racks from Canadian Tire or a parts store. I think they are around 400.00 though, thats why I got Rodney's kit...

Pretty sure that nobody sells rebuilt 88 racks anymore...

Shho13

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-10-2019 06:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Shho13Send a Private Message to Shho13Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Rebuilt my 88's rack with Rodney's parts about two years ago now. Worth the effort. New brass bushing to replace the failure prone plastic one, new roller and ball bearings and seal for the input shaft, grease, inner and outer tie rods, and a nice coat of paint. Make sure you have the shop manual when doing it, you need to "clock" it right or your steering wheel will be off.

The rack isn't "sealed" like a modern power steering rack. The inner tie rod boots need to be in good shape or water will get in.

------------------
"Discord"
Red 1988 GT under restoration!

Let's Go Mets!

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

[This message has been edited by Shho13 (edited 12-10-2019).]

4thfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-10-2019 10:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 4thfieroSend a Private Message to 4thfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
i feel like mine has some play right in the middle of the actual rack and pinion...that cant be replaced as far as i know...which is unfortunate. i also used rodneys kit and bushing which was great...but eventually these racks get old and some things u cant fix...im worried my rack will need to be replaced, and getting a good condition 88 rack is hard
PFF
System Bot
olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post12-10-2019 10:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Some of the play is normal, some of the excess can be adjusted out.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock