LHU Ecotec cradle mounts - obtaining / fabricating / welding by SteveMushynsky
Started on: 11-20-2019 07:47 PM
Replies: 16 (607 views)
Last post by: Daryl M on 07-21-2020 06:14 PM
SteveMushynsky

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-20-2019 07:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SteveMushynskySend a Private Message to SteveMushynskyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I am researching what I need to accomplish installation of a LHU Ecotec into my 1984 4-cyl Fiero.

I am in no hurry to get this done as I realize my need to research information and learn skills new to me, one of those necessary skills being welding. I have a son who is new welder and has accomplished this in an MR2 engine swap and also a long-time professional welder in my family, so I am confident I can get to where I need to be.

As a starting point, I am looking around online and found this...

What could possibly go wrong?

Any guidance for a determined noob at welding would be greatly appreciated.

------------------
Steve Mushynsky

1984 Fiero 2M4
34K miles

1986 Fiero SE I4 (donor now)
Lots of good miles. One very bad mile.

1987 Fiero
Tried to kill me (gone to a 'better place')
Prior owner failed to tighten a bolt. Trailing arm separated at 70 mph

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
pmbrunelle

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post11-20-2019 08:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pmbrunelleSend a Private Message to pmbrunelleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'd suggest that most of your weldments be bolted onto the spaceframe / cradle of your Fiero.

As your skills develop, it will then be possible to remove and remake the beginner-grade horrors you did.

Start with the simpler weldments if you can; get scrap to simulate the parts to be welded, do a practice run, then go work on the real parts.

Doing endless practise parts is pointless; at least for me, I am most motivated to learn and do well when I'm working on the real McCoy.
SteveMushynsky

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-21-2019 01:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SteveMushynskySend a Private Message to SteveMushynskyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by pmbrunelle:
I'd suggest that most of your weldments be bolted onto the spaceframe / cradle of your Fiero.

I like that. It sounds like good advice.

------------------
Steve Mushynsky

1984 Fiero 2M4
34K miles

1987 Fiero

Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post11-22-2019 02:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I do not believe that this version of the Ecotec has been successfully installed in a Fiero so far. The engine features direct injection, VVT, and drive by wire. You can be successful mounting it but the PCM control and engine management aspects may be an issue.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Spintech/Hedman Exhaust, P-log Manifold, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, Champion Radiator, S10 Brake Booster, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

SteveMushynsky

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-23-2019 05:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SteveMushynskySend a Private Message to SteveMushynskyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Dennis LaGrua:
... but the PCM control and engine management aspects may be an issue.

Thank you, Dennis.

LHU uses the E39 (2012) or E39A (2013) ECU in the Buick Regal GS.

I have read a GM recall notice that the E39 had some manner of 'issue' and that parts sale of replacement E39's may have been "frozen" at for some time, reason unknown. On the other hand, I've read that some have pulled their E39A's in favor of using an E39. Apparently this was due to some tuning issues. I understand that this was during the time that GM was transitioning to a torque-demand basis in their powertrain controls. Perhaps this was involved in the recall notice and/or there were learning curve issues on the part of tune modifiers? I understand that tunes have been accomplished on the E39 / E39A and are available for use with the Regals, at least.

In any case, my understanding is that if I can obtain a complete set of ECU, BCM, harness, DBW pedal, instrument cluster, possibly ignition relay, etc from one 2012 0r 2013 Buick Regal GS in its entirety, I should be able to get up & running without additional tuning initially necessary as I won't be doing engine modifications at first. Hopefully, I can deal with tuning afterward to optimize the engine in a Fiero installation.

Might anyone have any advice on this scenario?

------------------
Steve Mushynsky

1984 Fiero 2M4
34K miles

1987 Fiero

wftb

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-23-2019 08:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for wftbSend a Private Message to wftbEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I was lucky enough to find a wreckers that was willing to give me the entire wiring harness with the ecm bcm and the steering column with the key in it. This allowed me to get the car running initially and then later I added the donor car fuel pump and instrument cluster. HP tuners came later so I could get rid of the ignition switch I had in the glove box. Drive by wire just means you need the pedal assembly. DI controls will be in your harness etc and the high pressure pump is mounted on the engine. It has all been done before just not in a Fiero.

------------------
86 GT built 2.2 ecotec turbo
rear SLA suspension
QA1 coilovers on tube arms

[This message has been edited by wftb (edited 11-23-2019).]

Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post11-23-2019 10:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by SteveMushynsky:

Thank you, Dennis.

LHU uses the E39 (2012) or E39A (2013) ECU in the Buick Regal GS.

I have read a GM recall notice that the E39 had some manner of 'issue' and that parts sale of replacement E39's may have been "frozen" at for some time, reason unknown. On the other hand, I've read that some have pulled their E39A's in favor of using an E39. Apparently this was due to some tuning issues. I understand that this was during the time that GM was transitioning to a torque-demand basis in their powertrain controls. Perhaps this was involved in the recall notice and/or there were learning curve issues on the part of tune modifiers? I understand that tunes have been accomplished on the E39 / E39A and are available for use with the Regals, at least.

In any case, my understanding is that if I can obtain a complete set of ECU, BCM, harness, DBW pedal, instrument cluster, possibly ignition relay, etc from one 2012 0r 2013 Buick Regal GS in its entirety, I should be able to get up & running without additional tuning initially necessary as I won't be doing engine modifications at first. Hopefully, I can deal with tuning afterward to optimize the engine in a Fiero installation.

Might anyone have any advice on this scenario?

Sounds like you are on the right track as that PCM is expecting many of the inputs from the devices that you named.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Spintech/Hedman Exhaust, P-log Manifold, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, Champion Radiator, S10 Brake Booster, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

SteveMushynsky

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-23-2019 06:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SteveMushynskySend a Private Message to SteveMushynskyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by wftb:
... It has all been done before just not in a Fiero.

Thanks, wtfb.

That's what I've read and hope to do, yes.

------------------
Steve Mushynsky

1984 Fiero 2M4
34K miles

1987 Fiero

SteveMushynsky

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-23-2019 06:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SteveMushynskySend a Private Message to SteveMushynskyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

SteveMushynsky

56 posts
Member since Sep 2018

Originally posted by Dennis LaGrua:
... Sounds like you are on the right track as that PCM is expecting many of the inputs from the devices that you named.

Thank you, Dennis.

Am I missing anything I need to include or pay attention to?

------------------
Steve Mushynsky

1984 Fiero 2M4
34K miles

1987 Fiero

wftb

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-25-2019 09:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for wftbSend a Private Message to wftbEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Here is a thread about putting an LNF in a Volvo P1800
http://www.locostusa.com/fo...pic.php?f=36&t=16309

------------------
rear SLA suspension

theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post11-25-2019 01:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
2 types of engine mounts for Fiero L4.
Liquid filled, Very real item, is/was for absorbing engine vibration. It works but often don't last long and liquid leaks out and rubber is dead.
Solid rubber. Looks about same but Much harder and won't go bad like the above.
See my Cave, Engine Mounts

If you have bad engine mount then very likely was liquid unit.

If Trans mount(s) are bad... is a different problem.
Most times have a bad Dog Bone or have a "new style" one. Ether will break trans mounts, exhaust, and intake parts.
See my Cave, Torque Strut

Can replace trans mounts w/ rubber and new one may or not have a torque limit feature in it.
If not or wants more control them short cable/chain across front mount to keep from torque tearing front mount.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave

PFF
System Bot
SteveMushynsky

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-15-2019 02:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SteveMushynskySend a Private Message to SteveMushynskyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thank you wftb and theogre for your wisdom and information. It is much appreciated

SteveMushynsky

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-20-2020 05:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SteveMushynskySend a Private Message to SteveMushynskyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My crappy health (heart) reared its ugly head again since posting the above.

In the meantime, I serendipitously came upon and bought an '84 Duke engine, transmission and exhaust mounted on a cradle from a Fiero restoration guy who had maintained it meticulously.

As my '84 SE has 33K miles and is in excellent original condition inside & out except for a busted connecting rod and the usual 1980s GM paint orange peel decay, I am going to install it in my '84, get it nicely painted and get 'historical' plates for it.

This way, I can have a decent Fiero to show and drive while I accumulate components to do the LHU conversion I planned, above. Along the way, I can accommodate my crappy health better, learn my way around Fiero engine handling and wiring and extend my investments in 'hot' Fiero components, so I can afford the fourteen GD medications I take every day, now.

It's still a fun journey, just a different path. I'll get there.
wftb

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-20-2020 10:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for wftbSend a Private Message to wftbEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I wish you well Steve hopefully your medication helps you get better.

------------------
rear SLA suspension

olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post07-21-2020 12:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Good luck Steve, keep plugging away at it.
Hope your health improves.
SteveMushynsky

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-21-2020 03:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SteveMushynskySend a Private Message to SteveMushynskyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the kind words, folks.
I'll get where I want to with this. It'll just take longer, but I will.

Daryl M

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-21-2020 06:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Daryl MSend a Private Message to Daryl MEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This sounds like a great project. What transmission are you planning on using? I imagine your accelerator pedal will look similar to mine. It is from a 2013 impala, my donor car.

[This message has been edited by Daryl M (edited 07-21-2020).]

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock