Started on: 11-20-2019 05:45 PM
Replies: 1 (356 views)
Last post by: msweldon on 11-20-2019 10:12 PM
RandomTask

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 150
Rate this member

Report this Post11-20-2019 05:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RandomTaskSend a Private Message to RandomTaskEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Rebuilding my suspension. (Haven't delved into the rear yet). Without going to coilovers, I was looking at a good quality replacement for the stock units. I've been through numerous shocks on numerous vehicles for anything from track to daily driver. Monroe and KYB are OK for DD duties, but are absolute garbage when you take them to the track; they're valved too soft, overheat and turn to mush. I've had a lot of luck with bilsteins and was hoping to go that route.

In continuing to research, rock auto lists an acceptable OE replacement as the KYB 343127. When I went to KYB's website, they have the applications of this specific shock. Looking for a common one, this shock is used on '67-'69 Camaro's.
https://www.kyb.com/catalog...=Pontiac&model=Fiero (Tab over to buyers guide).

Looking for Bilsteins for this car, you can find PN:24-029728 . (Side note: also found Koni's PN: 80-1914.)
https://www.bilstein.com/us...=7994988089736278849

I started going through the Bilstein catalog. I noticed they have PN: AK1051 which are very close to the stock spec's. (although unsure on the damping ratio).
https://www.summitracing.co...=GSAPI+5ba1146a7c6f2

So am I going to guinea pig this or has anyone done this as a valid replacement?

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
msweldon

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-20-2019 10:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for msweldonSend a Private Message to msweldonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm going to channel Steven Snyder here...

What spring rates are you running or what spring rates 'will' you be running? What is your suspension frequency goal?

Do you want adjustable? Are you prepared rebuild/revalve yourself?

The bilsteins for the C3 corvette 24-009461 should fit with ~1/2" (10mm) spacers... Bilstein can put a snap ring groove into the shock for coil overs for 50-100$/shock. C3 corvette owners complain they are a little soft compared to the equivalent C3 Koni's.

Koni 8040-1019 or 1087 will fit with ~10mm spacers, have the same stroke as the 1988 front Konis and the 1019's have almost the exact same force velocity numbers. Koni sells coil over sleeves for the 8040s but the shock body has to have a retainer ring welded to the shock body.

If you want to go SN2 Bilsteins, available in nonadjustable, single, and double and are user rebuildable you'll have to drop the shock through LCA a few inches as the extended length is 15-16" and 11" compressed.

WCF sells Koni 30 Series shocks with mounts that drop them a few inches below the LCA ( I have a set of these and brackets I am selling if your interested currently listed here and on ebay.. )
IP: Logged

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock