F23 Taller Gear Ratio Options by T4Turtle
Started on: 11-20-2019 01:41 PM
Replies: 19 (1567 views)
Last post by: ericjon262 on 04-15-2020 02:58 AM
T4Turtle

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-20-2019 01:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for T4TurtleSend a Private Message to T4TurtleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I can find all of the gearing options for US sold vehicles with F23 and see that 3.84 is the tallest. Are gear sets interchangeable from other vehicles sold outside US/Canada that are any taller?

------------------
1987 GT TPI

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Will

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 237
Rate this member

Report this Post11-20-2019 03:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Check out the Cobalt XFE model. That had first 3.72 then 3.63 FD's.
T4Turtle

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-20-2019 05:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for T4TurtleSend a Private Message to T4TurtleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks Will! Much better, do you know the rest of the gear ratios? I see this RPO FY1 now searching but just states final drive. Also can I just run the metric 60 degree bellhousing on this transmission?
msweldon

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-20-2019 10:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for msweldonSend a Private Message to msweldonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by T4Turtle:

Thanks Will! Much better, do you know the rest of the gear ratios? I see this RPO FY1 now searching but just states final drive. Also can I just run the metric 60 degree bellhousing on this transmission?

No, the cobalt 3.63/3.72 FDs only came with a ecotec housing. You will have to purchase a 60deg F23 and swap bellhousings or swap the guts... You can get F23 rebuild and shim selector tools on ebay for great prices....
T4Turtle

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-21-2019 07:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for T4TurtleSend a Private Message to T4TurtleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That’s what I was thinking. So get an F23 bell housing or complete out of a 2000-2002 Cavalier/Sunfire and use this bell housing on the Ecotec version F23 or put gear set from Ecotec in non Ecotec case. Is there an advantage doing one way over the other?
msweldon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-21-2019 09:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for msweldonSend a Private Message to msweldonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

That’s what I was thinking. So get an F23 bell housing or complete out of a 2000-2002 Cavalier/Sunfire and use this bell housing on the Ecotec version F23 or put gear set from Ecotec in non Ecotec case. Is there an advantage doing one way over the other?

The ecotec case is a bit harder to fabricate mounts due to the location of the mounting bosses on the cobalt trans case with the cavalier being more easily adaptable with mounts made by thelin.. then again swapping the guts is a measure more involved over swapping just the bellhousing. If you swap the guts do try to obtain the shaft holder tray(sp?) that holds all the shafts together when you remove the casing. you can purchase a DVD or search youtube for a step by step guide to disassembling and reassembling the F23.

See JustinBart's thread on installing a 3.63 bellhousing swap F23 onto his turbo 3800

I have enough respect for the power holding ability of the F23 I have one in storage in case I can't get the F40 to hold behind my LF3/LF4 swap as Justin ran ~780hp through his with a quaife and OEM axles....granted no version of the F23 bolts up to any HFV6, mender has adapted it to an LFX with a quad 4 bellhousing and custom trans to block brackets.
Will

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-21-2019 11:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by msweldon:

The ecotec case is a bit harder to fabricate mounts due to the location of the mounting bosses on the cobalt trans case with the cavalier being more easily adaptable with mounts made by thelin.. then again swapping the guts is a measure more involved over swapping just the bellhousing. If you swap the guts do try to obtain the shaft holder tray(sp?) that holds all the shafts together when you remove the casing. you can purchase a DVD or search youtube for a step by step guide to disassembling and reassembling the F23.

See JustinBart's thread on installing a 3.63 bellhousing swap F23 onto his turbo 3800

I have enough respect for the power holding ability of the F23 I have one in storage in case I can't get the F40 to hold behind my LF3/LF4 swap as Justin ran ~780hp through his with a quaife and OEM axles....granted no version of the F23 bolts up to any HFV6, mender has adapted it to an LFX with a quad 4 bellhousing and custom trans to block brackets.

It's actually the other way around with regard to bellhousings and mounts. Thelin's mounts are designed for the Ecotec transmissions. Thelin's rear mount looks like it will be ok with the 2.2 transmission, but the "metric" bellhousing lacks the bosses that the forward mount bolts to on the Ecotec housing.

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/140904.html

Also, the Ecotec bellhousing is 3/8" deeper than the metric bellhousing, and the accompanying input shaft is 3/8" longer. Justin Bart's thread shows that he had to modify the longer Ecotec input shaft to clear the 3800 crank pilot when used with the metric bellhousing.

[This message has been edited by Will (edited 12-02-2019).]

Will

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-21-2019 11:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Will

14226 posts
Member since Jun 2000

All the F23's have the same shifted gears EXCEPT the Saturn Vue transmissions, which have a shorter 5th (as well as 4.40 FD).
msweldon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-21-2019 05:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for msweldonSend a Private Message to msweldonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Will:

It's actually the other way around with regard to bellhousings and mounts. Thelin's mounts are designed for the Ecotec transmissions. The rear mount looks like it will be ok with the 2.2 transmission, but the "metric" bellhousing lacks the bosses that the forward mount bolts to on the Ecotec housing.

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/140904.html

Yes indeed Will, thanks for the correction... been in the F40 world too long... and don't want to send the OP off in the wrong direction....

T4Turtle

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-21-2019 07:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for T4TurtleSend a Private Message to T4TurtleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

All the F23's have the same shifted gears EXCEPT the Saturn Vue transmissions, which have a shorter 5th (as well as 4.40 FD).

Got it, thanks. When you said first i was thinking first gear not first version.
T4Turtle

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-22-2019 10:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for T4TurtleSend a Private Message to T4TurtleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It sounds like fabricating a proper front mount might be difficult if swapping bell housings. Also is appears either way the input shaft will need to be turned down as well. So swapping all internals then just getting mounts from WCF for the F23 should be it for mounting the F23. Then cables/brackets/shifter parts all appear to be available.

Thanks for the help!
PFF
System Bot
Will

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-22-2019 09:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Can you rephrase that? Not clear what you're aiming to do.

[This message has been edited by Will (edited 11-22-2019).]

T4Turtle

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-27-2019 08:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for T4TurtleSend a Private Message to T4TurtleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
For mounting and getting taller gears best to swap the internals as you can buy mounts for the early F23 and a sbc vs trying to mount the Ecotec version.

[This message has been edited by T4Turtle (edited 11-27-2019).]

Will

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-02-2019 08:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

For mounting and getting taller gears best to swap the internals as you can buy mounts for the early F23 and a sbc vs trying to mount the Ecotec version.

It's actually the other way around with regard to bellhousings and mounts. Thelin's mounts are designed for the Ecotec transmissions. The [Thelin's] rear mount looks like it will be ok with the 2.2 transmission, but the "metric" bellhousing lacks the bosses that the forward mount bolts to on the Ecotec housing.

Is there a WCF offering for F23 mount brackets?
stickpony

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-02-2019 06:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for stickponyClick Here to visit stickpony's HomePageSend a Private Message to stickponyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
FieroGuru has added the 3.05:1 final drive gear to an F40 transmission, i believe its available in Opels and sabbs in europe. Would doing the F40 6 speed be a viable option for you?
Will

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-03-2019 07:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The Pontiac G6 F40's had a 3.55 final... no need to even open the transmission.
fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 258
Rate this member

Report this Post12-03-2019 01:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

The Pontiac G6 F40's had a 3.55 final... no need to even open the transmission.

Unless you "want" a 3.09 final drive for a larger higher torque engine.
Will

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-09-2019 03:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fieroguru:

Unless you "want" a 3.09 final drive for a larger higher torque engine.

Doesn't change the fact that a 3.55 can be had without opening the transmission.
Monstertone

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-14-2020 06:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MonstertoneSend a Private Message to MonstertoneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Not to hijack this thread but, since you are all here....
This is a long shot but....
Does anyone have the F23 metric bell housing gathering dust, & willing to part with it?
Salvage yards seem reluctant to split the case & sell only the bell housing. They seem to think people are willing to pay to have someone to swap a used tranny into a twenty year old car. At $100/hour labor cost? I don't think so. Even so, where does the old tranny go? It's guts are of questionable use. But I sure could use it's bell housing. LOL
It's not that I wouldn't mind stumbling over a spare tranny I'll probably never have to use. It's the shipping cost of a whole tranny vs just a bell housing that is driving me nuts.
I'm in southern Oregon. txt me @ 541-941-6545 if you have anything.
Thanx everyone,
JD

[This message has been edited by Monstertone (edited 04-14-2020).]

ericjon262

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 66
Rate this member

Report this Post04-15-2020 02:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ericjon262Send a Private Message to ericjon262Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Monstertone:

Not to hijack this thread but, since you are all here....
This is a long shot but....
Does anyone have the F23 metric bell housing gathering dust, & willing to part with it?
Salvage yards seem reluctant to split the case & sell only the bell housing. They seem to think people are willing to pay to have someone to swap a used tranny into a twenty year old car. At $100/hour labor cost? I don't think so. Even so, where does the old tranny go? It's guts are of questionable use. But I sure could use it's bell housing. LOL
It's not that I wouldn't mind stumbling over a spare tranny I'll probably never have to use. It's the shipping cost of a whole tranny vs just a bell housing that is driving me nuts.
I'm in southern Oregon. txt me @ 541-941-6545 if you have anything.
Thanx everyone,
JD

I have one, but it's not perfect, I'm in Washington, near Seattle.

------------------
"I am not what you so glibly call to be a civilized man. I have broken with society for reasons which I alone am able to appreciate. I am therefore not subject to it's stupid laws, and I ask you to never allude to them in my presence again."

cognita semper

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/119122.html

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock