Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  Any tips for replacing the coolant temperature switch on a V6?

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Any tips for replacing the coolant temperature switch on a V6? by sjmaye
Started on: 11-20-2019 05:23 AM
Replies: 7 (193 views)
Last post by: sjmaye on 11-20-2019 04:57 PM
sjmaye

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-20-2019 05:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sjmayeSend a Private Message to sjmayeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I already troubleshot it and determined the switch to be bad. I think I can use a socket and extension to replace the switch itself.

The problem is getting the connector off. It is down buried beneath a host of tubes. Anyone have a tip or trick for getting this connector off without breaking it?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Dennis LaGrua

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post11-20-2019 07:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
To remove the connector you must lift the catch tab up as you pull it out to clear removal. A long nose pliers and a screwdriver can be used to lift the tab and pull the connector away. Then a deep socket with an extension bar can be used to removethe sensor. You will lose coolant. When you replace the sensor do not over tighten as you can strip the threads and or break off the sensor.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Spintech/Hedman Exhaust, P-log Manifold, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, Champion Radiator, S10 Brake Booster, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

sjmaye

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-20-2019 07:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sjmayeSend a Private Message to sjmayeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hi Dennis,

It has been a while. I am not totally understanding how to remove the plastic connector. The connector has catches on the narrow side. It appears I have to squeeze the wide sides to allow removal. Is this incorrect?

[This message has been edited by sjmaye (edited 11-20-2019).]

sjmaye

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-20-2019 08:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sjmayeSend a Private Message to sjmayeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

sjmaye

2468 posts
Member since Jun 2003
Deleted

[This message has been edited by sjmaye (edited 11-20-2019).]

Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post11-20-2019 03:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by sjmaye:

I am not totally understanding how to remove the plastic connector. The connector has catches on the narrow side. It appears I have to squeeze the wide sides to allow removal.

That's correct. This connector confused me as well at first, but once you learn the removal technique it's easy. I use a set of "slip-joint" pliers in the wide position.

sjmaye

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-20-2019 04:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sjmayeSend a Private Message to sjmayeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ah. The one tool I hadn't thought of. Thanks.

Now, any idea how I can easily empty the gas tank? Had no luck siphoning. Idling is too slow.
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post11-20-2019 04:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by sjmaye:

...any idea how I can easily empty the gas tank?

If your fuel pump is functional, it's easy. Disconnect the gas line wherever you find it convenient, and then supply 12v to the fuel pump terminal on the ALDL panel.

sjmaye

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-20-2019 04:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sjmayeSend a Private Message to sjmayeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Cool. Thanks!

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock