transmission options for a 2.8 by Mct2green
Started on: 11-15-2019 08:14 PM
Replies: 3 (186 views)
Last post by: fierofool on 11-16-2019 08:05 AM
Mct2green

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-15-2019 08:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mct2greenSend a Private Message to Mct2greenEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have a 86 gt with a 4 speed manual. The vss gear and shaft broke off in the transmission. I cant find the gear. The transmission shifts fine but now makes a whirring sound.
How can i identify which transmission I have? Which transmissions can bolt onto this engine? I dont know if it would be cheaper to have mine pulled and opened to get the gear out and rebuild if needed, or to buy a used one. Looks like the only used ones I can find are from the 2.5l. My car has 35k miles on it and transmission was working great before the vss broke. If I do rebuild, does anyone know where to find a vss with a gear and the proper gear color for a gt with 215/60/r15 tires? I believe the gear was "natural" colored or white, but I'm not sure. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post11-15-2019 09:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Your transmission is called a Muncie M-17, and is really the best choice for your car, esp. if it has only 35K miles of wear. You should have no problem finding all the parts you need from people on this forum.
Mct2green

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-15-2019 09:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mct2greenSend a Private Message to Mct2greenEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
thanks for the help. It looks like I need gm part 25519846 (natural) gear with 31 teeth. I can find the vss no problem, cant find this gear anywhere. Anyone got a spare for sale?
fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post11-16-2019 08:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
https://www.fierostore.com/...20%20%20%20%20PURPLE

This should probably be confined to just 1 thread on the subject.

[This message has been edited by fierofool (edited 11-16-2019).]

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock