vss shaft broke by Mct2green
Started on: 11-13-2019 01:55 PM
Replies: 8 (155 views)
Last post by: fierofool on 11-14-2019 08:03 AM
Mct2green

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-13-2019 01:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mct2greenSend a Private Message to Mct2greenEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have a 86gt. Replaced transmission seals a few weeks ago. Today the speedo quit working. Drove fine till a mile from home. I can year a whirring when in gear. shifts fine and clutch engages fine. Pulled VSS and the shaft is completely broken off. The gear is nowhere to be seen. Very little metal shards in the fluid. Does this mean I need to pull the transmission apart to find the gear? I would think the plastic gear would have been chewed up, but I don't see any plastic in the oil. The white gear in the transmission that the VSS engages has no visible damage. I could have reinserted the VSS wrong when filling with fluid I guess.... But it has been working fine for weeks. I took a picture looking into the transmission, I don't know if its normal but there is a wear spot directly under the sensor. Could be normal but I don't remember what it looked like originally. Thanks for any advice
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Mct2green

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-13-2019 01:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mct2greenSend a Private Message to Mct2greenEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Mct2green

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-13-2019 05:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mct2greenSend a Private Message to Mct2greenEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Mct2green

64 posts
Member since Aug 2019
Either way, transmission rebuild or not, I need a new vss and gear. Does anyone know where to buy the gear? I found the sensor online, but it doesn't come with a gear. 1986 gt 4 speed with 215/60/r15 tires. I believe the original gear was white or natural colored.
fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post11-13-2019 05:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The problem isn't with the plastic gear, but the metal shaft. The gear can get chewed up and possibly not cause any damage, but the metal shaft will probably destroy the transmission. I had an 85 4-speed do the same thing.

You might be able to use a very small magnet to fish around through the drain plug and maybe pull the metal shaft out but otherwise, the transmission may need to come apart. Or do as I did. Replace it with an Isuzu transmission. All you would need is the shifter, Isuzu throwout bearing, cables and transmission and transmission mounting brackets. The slave cylinder is the same for both transmissions.
fierofool

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-13-2019 05:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

fierofool

12808 posts
Member since Jan 2002
BTW, if you had the VSS fully inserted and held down by it's tab, it wasn't installed wrongly.
Mct2green

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-13-2019 06:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mct2greenSend a Private Message to Mct2greenEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the info. I believe I have the Isuzu transmission per Chilton manual. Is there a easy way to tell the difference?
fierofool

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-13-2019 06:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The Isuzu only came in the 85-88 Dukes. If you have a 5-speed in the 86 GT, it's probably a Getrag. It will have a steel end plate on the transmission. The Isuzu doesn't. The Getrag has one cable which approaches the transmission from the bottom. Both the Isuzu cables approach the transmission from the top.
Mct2green

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-13-2019 07:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mct2greenSend a Private Message to Mct2greenEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have a 4 speed. Sorry for not posting that previously. And both cables are on the top.

[This message has been edited by Mct2green (edited 11-13-2019).]

fierofool

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-14-2019 08:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The Isuzu 5-speed and Muncie 4-speed both had cables that came in at the top but the cables aren't interchangeable between transmissions. My previous listing of parts for installing an Isuzu trans was with the assumption that it was a 4-speed.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock