Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  Aftermarket air conditioning... is that hard to do?

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Aftermarket air conditioning... is that hard to do? by branger
Started on: 11-13-2019 09:32 AM
Replies: 12 (271 views)
Last post by: branger on 11-13-2019 09:27 PM
branger

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-13-2019 09:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for brangerSend a Private Message to brangerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey gang: Just wondering if you can add air conditioning to a Fiero that doesn’t have AC? If that is a thing, is it hard to do?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Will

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 237
Rate this member

Report this Post11-13-2019 10:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Your best bet is to find a donor car with air conditioning and take all the hardware from it. The Fiero's A/C system is complicated by the fact that the compressor is back at the engine and the evaporator and condenser are at the front. There's a lot of plumbing involved.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post11-13-2019 11:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by branger:

Just wondering if you can add air conditioning to a Fiero that doesn’t have AC? If that is a thing, is it hard to do?

Seriously, you don't want to go there. That would be a lot of work. When I removed the A/C from my Formula (to get rid of the weight for autocross), I was amazed at the number of components.

Besides, you live in Victoria BC... not Arizona. How many days a year would you actually need it?
olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post11-13-2019 11:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It would be less expensive to buy another Fiero with air conditioning.....
Will

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-13-2019 12:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:

Seriously, you don't want to go there. That would be a lot of work. When I removed the A/C from my Formula (to get rid of the weight for autocross), I was amazed at the number of components.

Besides, you live in Victoria BC... not Arizona. How many days a year would you actually need it?

And it's not just the basic system components... Coming from a non-A/C car, the control head, engine wiring, and maybe interior wiring harness are different as well.

I agree that it would likely be cheaper/easier to buy a Fiero with A/C, but some people like pain.
olejoedad

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-13-2019 12:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The interior wiring harness would need to be changed, or an extensive add-on harness created.....
pmbrunelle

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post11-13-2019 01:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pmbrunelleSend a Private Message to pmbrunelleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I don't think any harnesses would have to be changed... the donor car will have the required wires.

Simply remove said wires from the donor car, untape the target car's harnesses, install the wires (with the donor car terminals), and retape / reloom the target harnesses.
branger

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-13-2019 01:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for brangerSend a Private Message to brangerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm hearing that it would be difficult job. Good to get feedback, its just idea I had, not a necessity, like getting rid of my squeaky clutch pedal!!! (I think I need to replace clutch pedal with steel aftermarket and replace bushings)... lol
David Hambleton

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-13-2019 01:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for David HambletonSend a Private Message to David HambletonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by branger:

like getting rid of my squeaky clutch pedal!!! (I think I need to replace clutch pedal with steel aftermarket and replace bushings)... lol

A drop of oil in the right place might fix that...

olejoedad

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-13-2019 02:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by pmbrunelle:

I don't think any harnesses would have to be changed... the donor car will have the required wires.

Simply remove said wires from the donor car, untape the target car's harnesses, install the wires (with the donor car terminals), and retape / reloom the target harnesses.

Simply?

Hahaha
Will

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-13-2019 02:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by pmbrunelle:

Originally posted by olejoedad:

Simply?

Hahaha

Originally posted by Will:

but some people like pain.

PFF
System Bot
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post11-13-2019 06:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
AC vs Non AC affects a lot of things. Main highlights are mostly covered above.
For wiring... Affects 100 in front, 200 cabin, and 500 engine zones. AC wiring is tied to ECM too. You would basically need a whole car harness w/ most of same options plus AC. Or plan to switch more parts or splice w/ old harness. Splicing affect C100 and C500 connectors and many others.

That alone is Not easy to do and can take most DIYers Days to Weeks to gut both cars and reassemble.

Even if you find a doner w/ working AC... Doesn't mean it will work transfer to another car.
Used AC compressor often doesn't like having joints and mount hardware taken apart.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave

branger

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-13-2019 09:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for brangerSend a Private Message to brangerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Omg! I’ll just stick my head out the window! Thanks guys!!!

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock