Yet another oil pressure post.... by Mct2green
Started on: 11-07-2019 08:42 PM
Replies: 4 (150 views)
Last post by: Spadesluck on 11-08-2019 12:03 AM
Mct2green

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-07-2019 08:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mct2greenSend a Private Message to Mct2greenEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So I have a 86 GT, stock with 35,500 original miles. Oil sender went out a few weeks ago (came home to fuel pump running while car was parked in garage). Replaced sender and the next day oil pressure dropped to 20 psi at hot idle and never went above 50psi. Old sender showed 35ish at hot idle, 55-70 cold. Figured the BWD sender was bad. Replaced it again and Oil pressure read 60ish cold, but dropped to 20 at hot idle. Oil only has 350 miles, on 5w-30. Put on a mechanical gauge, 62 cold, dropped to 18 hot idle. Had to replace oil pan gasket anyway, and both transmission output seals, so I figured I would throw in a new oil pump (standard volume). Filled with 10w-40 because it was still pretty hot here at the time. Oil pressure is 65 cold, and 25 hot on manual gauge. Dash oil pressure gauge appears to match pretty close. Pressure jumps to 35-40 by adding a few rpms (from 900 to 1200) and takes a long time to drop to 25 hot. If I am driving with no stop and go traffic, it holds 60 with no issues and stays around 35 at idle. Only when engine reaches around 220 and the fan kicks on does it come all the way down to 25. I understand this is typical worn bearings but I don’t know how they could be worn at 35k miles. The engine purrs and I hear no ticking at all. Not burning oil and not leaking at all. I filled with 4.5 qts and a standard size filter. Anyone seen worn bearings on such a low mileage engine or have any other input?

[This message has been edited by Mct2green (edited 11-08-2019).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Gall757

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post11-07-2019 09:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Those sound like numbers for a new engine.
olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post11-07-2019 11:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Stop stressing, you are in great shape!

15.psi idle, 10 psi for every 1000 rpm.....
Blacktree

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
Rate this member

Report this Post11-07-2019 11:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Like mentioned above, those numbers are perfectly normal for that engine.
Spadesluck

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-08-2019 12:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SpadesluckSend a Private Message to SpadesluckEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You may be worried about it because the newer vehicles have a higher oil pressure. I know my LS1 Camaro at idle is right around 40psi. So it was an adjustment to see the Fiero oil pressure. Like others have mentioned, you are good to go.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock