Opinion on Clutch Life by Notorio
Started on: 11-07-2019 08:02 PM
Replies: 15 (347 views)
Last post by: Patrick on 11-10-2019 03:50 PM
Notorio

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-07-2019 08:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NotorioSend a Private Message to NotorioEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You are looking at a picture taken from a mirror held in the starter opening on a 5 spd transmission. The Red Arrow is pointing at the clutch material remaining and you can just make out about 1 mm or so of the 'slot' that is on the surface. Am I correct in taking that to mean there is some life left? This is pretty much a stock 2.8 and I don't do clutch dumps or hammer the tranny in any way. What's your opinion, totally ballpark, can I get another few thousand miles out of this? When the car is on the road I put less than a thousand miles per year.

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Blacktree

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
Rate this member

Report this Post11-07-2019 08:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It's hard to tell from the photo. That said, slipping the clutch (aka riding the clutch) can wear it out pretty fast.
Gall757

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post11-07-2019 09:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
A clutch starts slipping when the rivets are exposed. I don't know if you can assume anything by looking at that gap.
olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post11-07-2019 11:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If you are in high gear, at low rpm and you punch the throttle, does it slip?

If not, you're good to go.
wftb

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-08-2019 08:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for wftbSend a Private Message to wftbEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Any time I have had a clutch fail, it started to chatter engaging from a stop. After about 100 miles of doing this total clutch failure happened.
Notorio

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-08-2019 11:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for NotorioSend a Private Message to NotorioEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've never observed any of these signs of slippage. Since I only drive this maybe a 1,000 miles/year if that seems like I'm should be OK for a while. My plan is to leave the short-block alone until I can switch it out for a 3.4, at which point I'd do the clutch as well. Appreciate all the feedback.
FX

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-08-2019 01:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FXSend a Private Message to FXEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
A way to preserve clutch life is to start off from dead stop at the lowest RPM you can. This is where most clutch ware happens...And don't slip it between shifts...

[This message has been edited by FX (edited 11-08-2019).]

Notorio

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-08-2019 05:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NotorioSend a Private Message to NotorioEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by FX:
A way to preserve clutch life is to start off from dead stop at the lowest RPM you can. This is where most clutch ware happens...And don't slip it between shifts...

Too true. Another way is to loiter over repairs and upgrades, leaving the car in the garage for 18 months
Kevin87FieroGT

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-08-2019 09:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Kevin87FieroGTSend a Private Message to Kevin87FieroGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
We nursed a slightly slipping clutch on a V-6 Getrag combo for a couple years of summer driving. A clutch that slips a little probably will not fail over night on you, but as you notice the slipping starts in the lower gears you time is running short.
cmechmann

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-09-2019 09:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cmechmannSend a Private Message to cmechmannEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You need to see if you can get a better look at the disc on the flywheel side. If you have the same amount of space in the material "gaps" on the flywheel side then you are OK. If the gaps are gone then you are near the rivets. Clutch disc have much less material thickness then brakes. Only about 3/32 on each side new over rivets.
Spoon

Feedback score:    (16)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 61
Rate this member

Report this Post11-09-2019 11:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SpoonSend a Private Message to SpoonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If you feel brave you can do a 1st to 2nd power-shift and watch the tach. If it doesn't drop before going higher you definitely have a slipping clutch.
Also don't overlook a weak pressure plate.

Spoon

------------------
"Kilgore Trout once wrote a short story which was a dialogue between two pieces of yeast. They were discussing the possible purposes of life as they ate sugar and suffocated in their own excrement. Because of their limited intelligence, they never came close to guessing that they were making champagne." - Kurt Vonnegut

PFF
System Bot
Notorio

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-09-2019 11:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NotorioSend a Private Message to NotorioEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by cmechmann:
You need to see if you can get a better look at the disc on the flywheel side. If you have the same amount of space in the material "gaps" on the flywheel side then you are OK. If the gaps are gone then you are near the rivets. Clutch disc have much less material thickness then brakes. Only about 3/32 on each side new over rivets.

Can you (or someone) please post a side view of a 'good' clutch? I can't visualize what you mean here.
wftb

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-10-2019 08:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for wftbSend a Private Message to wftbEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Personally I would not even worry about it. GM OEM clutches last a long time. If it seems to work fine it is a good clutch. 8 years ago I installed my built 2.2 ecotec so I ordered in a new clutch. When I got it in I sent it back because it looked the same as the old one. It is a lot of work to take every thing apart just to look at it. Better just to wait for it to start to go and then replace it. It isnt life or death like losing your brakes. The car will just stop moving, then tow it home. I drive old cars, I am a CAA member for that reason.

------------------
86 GT built 2.2 ecotec turbo
rear SLA suspension
QA1 coilovers on tube arms

Tony Kania

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 305
User Banned

Report this Post11-10-2019 10:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony KaniaSend a Private Message to Tony KaniaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I would file this under enjoy it until it breaks.
Notorio

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-10-2019 03:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NotorioSend a Private Message to NotorioEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
OK, good points. I'll stop worrying about this and just pay more attention to signs of slippage.
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post11-10-2019 03:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by olejoedad:

If you are in high gear, at low rpm and you punch the throttle, does it slip? If not, you're good to go.

I agree with this assessment. Only thing I would add is to perhaps do this test while going up a slight incline.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock