Trunk release switch relocation/swap by N0ctrnl
Started on: 11-04-2019 04:54 PM
Replies: 4 (315 views)
Last post by: Spoon on 11-05-2019 10:22 AM
N0ctrnl

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-04-2019 04:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for N0ctrnlSend a Private Message to N0ctrnlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have hated the stock trunk release button for 25 years. So I finally decided to do something about it. Nothing too advanced here, just thought I'd share

This switch is from an '02 Nissan of some kind, or so the writing on it says.

And with it installed in the rear console. (Note: This was a trashed old console. I'll do it a tad more precise on my good one)

Pretty simple install. Just cut a hole all the way through the vinyl, padding, plastic and pop it in.

To connect it, I just jacked into the stock plug's grey/blk & orange/black wires with brass terminals and taped it off.

The wire then runs behind the dash and down the center of the car under the console skeleton.

So yeah, that's about it. Way better in my opinion!

------------------
88 Formula

[This message has been edited by N0ctrnl (edited 11-04-2019).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
theogre

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 567
Rate this member

Report this Post11-04-2019 06:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Your idea is old idea for many cars. They had Trunk PL button in the glove box but in many cases they could lock the box too.

How old? I've seen Caddies using vacuum operated TPL button in the glove box for 1960's models. Still have button and vac motor from one of those because was kind of weird even then.

If people just want Trunk Safety... See my Cave. I had wired so need key turn on to pop the latch 15+ years ago.
It stops kids etc push the button any time and steal things or worse climb in and close the lid.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave

Spoon

Feedback score:    (16)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 61
Rate this member

Report this Post11-04-2019 11:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SpoonSend a Private Message to SpoonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'll back theogre up on this one. I have a 60 Pontiac Catalina with this option. Vacuum operated with button in the glove box which is lockable.
Here's what the kit looks like. Comes with vac hose to reach the trunk.

Old school and it still works. Push, No you pull the vac button and the trunk torsion rods actually raise the lid at a decent rate like you had a modern day SUV power gate. Way ahead of it's time.

Spoon

------------------
"Kilgore Trout once wrote a short story which was a dialogue between two pieces of yeast. They were discussing the possible purposes of life as they ate sugar and suffocated in their own excrement. Because of their limited intelligence, they never came close to guessing that they were making champagne." - Kurt Vonnegut

[This message has been edited by Spoon (edited 11-05-2019).]

theogre

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 567
Rate this member

Report this Post11-05-2019 09:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks, Better then a picture just a button and motor. Was trying to find mine.

For others, the "motor" often goes between the lock and latch and won't fit most other cars because needs a lot of space. This version seem to mount lock, latch, motor, but still needs space.
my motor is approx 2" x 3.5" x 4.5" just to mount w/o the case shown above then add more so more line won't pinch. Is not heavy only weighs a few ounces as cylinder is aluminum or something light.

It works same as key to turn the link. (The Vac Can shown above is way over kill just for this. That reserve could open the latch Many times w/ engine off.) Not like Fiero and others that works on back of latch and pulls the part inside that locks the part hitting the loop. IE Fiero solenoid doesn't rotate any part.

I think my motor was on frame side to get room and not flex/stress the vac line.

Is funny that they work like a key. I think Latch itself work same way as Fiero so could likely made it simpler smaller and many other was to mount. Even remote mount so doesn't need space at the latch.
Spoon

Feedback score:    (16)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 61
Rate this member

Report this Post11-05-2019 10:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SpoonSend a Private Message to SpoonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by theogre:

(The Vac Can shown above is way over kill just for this. That reserve could open the latch Many times w/ engine off.)

I actually used my original power brake vac-can (same size) and drilled and taped a hole then screwed in a male x thread adapter for the trunk vac hose. Non power brake cars had no need for the can. So this option would definitely be over-kill for just a trunk release. I just added a pic of my 60 in above post.

Spoon

------------------
"Kilgore Trout once wrote a short story which was a dialogue between two pieces of yeast. They were discussing the possible purposes of life as they ate sugar and suffocated in their own excrement. Because of their limited intelligence, they never came close to guessing that they were making champagne." - Kurt Vonnegut

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock