Transmission leak by str8maxn
Started on: 11-04-2019 11:24 AM
Replies: 5 (139 views)
Last post by: str8maxn on 11-04-2019 09:12 PM
str8maxn

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-04-2019 11:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for str8maxnSend a Private Message to str8maxnEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hello All,

Over the weekend my transmission sprung a bad leak. A mounting tab \ screw broke off causing a bad leak. It appears this was an on going issue as the piece that broke off was covered in silicon and the screw appears to have been stripped. The mounting point that broke off is located just above the rear transmission mount. It's the highlighted part of the pic below. I think this is it because the piece that broke off is barrel shaped.
Can anyone tell me what this mounts too?

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
cvxjet

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-04-2019 02:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cvxjetSend a Private Message to cvxjetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
looking in my 85 GM manual, it would appear that the fitting you are having problems with is used for a maintenance/Disassembly mount- It attaches with two bolts thru the bellhousing up high and then one down at that spot...Then you lift the trans & bracket assembly and mount it on secondary bracket on the edge of a work bench.

The tool/bracket is PN J-28664 and the other bracket is J-3289-20....I would suspect that someone rebuilt your trans and somehow damaged that fixture on the case in the process....
str8maxn

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-04-2019 02:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for str8maxnSend a Private Message to str8maxnEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That's looks correct.. Thank you for the clarification.

Do you have any recommendations for a fix without having to drop the trans?
I was thinking of using JB weld and welding it shut. It will no longer be attached to any bracket.

cvxjet

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-04-2019 06:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cvxjetSend a Private Message to cvxjetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I am not sure what would work- because of the oily nature of that location, it will be hard to get anything to adhere...especially permanently. Whoever originally broke that should be held liable for replacing the trans case.

Maybe someone else on here has more experience with this type of situation......
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post11-04-2019 07:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Seems is one of several mounting points for bracket(s) to trans mount(s) to the frame/cradle in the car.
Most brackets use 2 or 3 bolts to trans case.

Depending how bad the damage there and what's right behind...
Could weld the part to get another trans.

Most Epoxies doesn't work well or at all w/ aluminum. Might seem to stick but many fails days to months later and more so when used on high stress areas.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave

str8maxn

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-04-2019 09:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for str8maxnSend a Private Message to str8maxnEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ok , I found the source of the leak its the upper mounting point of the bracket for the rear trans mount. It faces the rear drives side tire.

Option 1: Use JB weld do weld a bolt that I cut the head from and then JB weld the broken piece to the transmission. I will not longer use this mounting point to mount to the bracket.

Option 2: Use gasket maker and fill in as much as I can to cover the hole that's on the transmission.

What do you think?

Here is the broken piece.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock