AGM vs Sealed Lead Acid Batteries by longjonsilver
Started on: 11-03-2019 03:40 PM
Replies: 9 (561 views)
Last post by: longjonsilver on 11-04-2019 12:33 PM
longjonsilver

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-03-2019 03:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for longjonsilverClick Here to visit longjonsilver's HomePageSend a Private Message to longjonsilverEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
i moved my battery under the passenger headlight. i noticed that there was rust forming from the battery acid on my battery box and horn. i need a new battery anyway, and i want one that absolutely won't leak. Do i need to spend for an AGM or is a sealed lead acid battery leakproof?

thanks
jon

------------------
Astronomy says we will find a coded signal from outer space. Then we'll KNOW that life exists there, for coded signals aren't by chance.

Biology says there are coded genetic signals in every cell, but we KNOW that no intelligence created life.

I'm the original owner of a white ' 84 2M4 purchased Dec 10, 1983 from Pontiac. Always garaged, no rust, 4-wheel drifts are fun!

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post11-03-2019 04:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
No battery is "Leak Proof" but AGM units are much more leak resistance then any Wet types.

AGM, unlike "Jell Cells," uses same liquid electrolyte as wet but absorbed by "sponges."

They don't make a JCell for automotive use.

⚠️Warning: Leaking battery is often a Symptom and if you don't find the real root cause then a new battery of either type won't last long.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave

Spoon

Feedback score:    (16)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 61
Rate this member

Report this Post11-03-2019 07:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SpoonSend a Private Message to SpoonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by longjonsilver:

i moved my battery under the passenger headlight. i noticed that there was rust forming from the battery acid on my battery box and horn. i need a new battery anyway, and i want one that absolutely won't leak. Do i need to spend for an AGM or is a sealed lead acid battery leakproof?

thanks
jon

How long did it take for the rust to form? I also moved my battery up front under P-side headlight about a year ago. I built my box out of aluminum so it wouldn't rust and I painted the surrounding body metal in that area with rust-preventive paint. No sign of rust anywhere yet. I'm also keeping an eye on the wire harness in that area for corrosion at the terminals.

Spoon

------------------
"Kilgore Trout once wrote a short story which was a dialogue between two pieces of yeast. They were discussing the possible purposes of life as they ate sugar and suffocated in their own excrement. Because of their limited intelligence, they never came close to guessing that they were making champagne." - Kurt Vonnegut

Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post11-03-2019 07:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I use AGM batteries and they last longer and do not leak. As a matter of fact Optima says its AGM batteries can be mounted upside down, I read Optima's quality (now 100% made n Mexico) has fallen so I'll be checking out other brands of AGM batteries to use next time

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Spintech/Hedman Exhaust, P-log Manifold, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, Champion Radiator, S10 Brake Booster, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

longjonsilver

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-04-2019 07:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for longjonsilverClick Here to visit longjonsilver's HomePageSend a Private Message to longjonsilverEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So what BCI group number batteries do you guys use that are available in AGM? The 84 is speced as a 70 and the rest are 75 BCI group number. Who makes a 75 group number AGM?

------------------
Astronomy says we will find a coded signal from outer space. Then we'll KNOW that life exists there, for coded signals aren't by chance.

Biology says there are coded genetic signals in every cell, but we KNOW that no intelligence created life.

I'm the original owner of a white ' 84 2M4 purchased Dec 10, 1983 from Pontiac. Always garaged, no rust, 4-wheel drifts are fun!

olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post11-04-2019 07:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I will never buy another Optima battery.
Larryinkc

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-04-2019 08:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for LarryinkcSend a Private Message to LarryinkcEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Odyssey makes a Group 75 AGM battery, I have one in my Mera. I have used Odyssey batteries in several cars and motorcycles with excellent results. They all lasted at least 6 years or longer and no leakage. I charge them once a month if the vehicle isn't driven frequently with an Odyssey brand charger.

[This message has been edited by Larryinkc (edited 11-04-2019).]

rlndhill

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-04-2019 10:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rlndhillSend a Private Message to rlndhillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Interstate MTZ-75DT is a great AGM battery with a great warranty.
seq

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-04-2019 11:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for seqSend a Private Message to seqEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm happy with my Optimas Red Tops in both of our Fieros.

Since OP is in NS, it might be worth checking Canadian Tire. We're running their Motomaster AGM battery in my wife's Hyindai Accent, and have been pretty happy with it. Not sure if they make the correct group though (considering you relocated the battery, I'm not sure you're running the same group in the first place).

------------------
--
Seq

1987 Fiero GT : Information | Gallery

NOTE: If you re-host any of my images on PIP, send me the Image URL and link to this post, and I'll update it.

[This message has been edited by seq (edited 11-04-2019).]

longjonsilver

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-04-2019 12:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for longjonsilverClick Here to visit longjonsilver's HomePageSend a Private Message to longjonsilverEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by seq:
Not sure if they make the correct group though (considering you relocated the battery, I'm not sure you're running the same group in the first place).

i have 9 inches and change in my battery box. The original batteries for the duke and V6 85-88 will fit. So will the 84 duke battery, but it has a LOT few CCAs

jon

------------------

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock