Click here to visit The FieroStore | View all sponsors
  Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  Overheating but not really? Air in system or other problem? Need help diagnosing (Page 3)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 3 pages long:  1   2   3 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
Overheating but not really? Air in system or other problem? Need help diagnosing by cebix
Started on: 10-31-2019 03:34 PM
Replies: 94 (1094 views)
Last post by: cebix on 12-05-2019 11:40 AM
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 438
Rate this member

Report this Post11-23-2019 02:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickClick Here to Email PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by cebix:

Got a feeling I got lucky with the reservoir crap as it probably was added to that tank and never got sucked into the system.

It would make absolutely no sense for "stop-leak" to have been added to the coolant reservoir... but I suppose some people are capable of doing anything.

IP: Logged
fierobear

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 382
Rate this member

Report this Post11-23-2019 02:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierobearClick Here to Email fierobearSend a Private Message to fierobearReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierobear:
The gauges, especially at their age now, are notoriously inaccurate. I’ve changed senders and temperature gauges in my 88GT more than once and it still goes nuts. The way I test the real temperature in the system is I put a scanner on the ALDL and see what the ECM is seeing. Do you know anyone with a real time data scanner?

Edit, remove scanner link.

Any time I’m reviving a long dead car or I need to be sure everything is working properly, I put the scanner on and see what the ECM is seeing.

Sorry, dude, I messed up. The link I gave you was for my OBD2 scanner for my Escalade. I use an AutoXRay OBD1 scanner for Fieros. They don’t make them any more, the company looks like it went out of business. I recommend getting a real time/live data scanner. Just this morning, I got another long dead Fiero running, and when I got it running well I put my scanner on it and it showed the coolant temp sensor is reporting to the ECM a temperature of -37 dF, which will cause all sorts of running issues. I now know to replace that sensor. Scanners are highly recommended .
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-23-2019 02:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickClick Here to Email PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierobear:

Scanners are highly recommended...

...and/or software such as WinALDL used with a laptop and appropriate cable.

Yeah, without knowing what the sensors and ECU actually "see", it's awfully difficult to properly troubleshoot an issue.
fierobear

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-24-2019 11:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierobearClick Here to Email fierobearSend a Private Message to fierobearReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:

...and/or software such as WinALDL used with a laptop and appropriate cable.

Yeah, without knowing what the sensors and ECU actually "see", it's awfully difficult to properly troubleshoot an issue.

That’s true, WinALDL should work as well. I’d forgotten about that program.
cebix

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-26-2019 12:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cebixSend a Private Message to cebixReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Been driving around just to see what it does and it is kind of more civilized now I guess. Only shoots up some above 220 and then goes down quickly even without hitting the throttle. Then it still kind of oscillates but it looks a lot better. Also there's no rad cap hissing so I guess that was indeed the overflow hose sucking in air. Maybe _now_ it's just time until it burps itself?

Got a multimeter with a thermocouple and measured the temperature where the gauge sensor goes into the block and it pretty much confirms what the gauge says. It's not as fast as the gauge but it settles at what the gauge says. On hot shutdown it soaks to about 220 which is what the gauge shows when after shutdown I turn on the ignition. Hot engine running seconds before shutdown it was at the second mark. Couldn't really get to measure it where it was shooting up days before due to traffic and the gauge not pegging that high anymore... for now at least.

No reservoir overflowing, level changes hot/cold good so the hose is flowing. No rad cap hissing. However I noticed after shutdown my thermostat cap now is hissing a little bit... Is that normal? Or should I replace it? It has been opened up and closed a lot of times this past month so I guess it can wear down.

EDIT: I did mention before that my thermostat was loose in the housing. The Stant new one is snug so I guess the Gates one was a little less in gasket diameter.

[This message has been edited by cebix (edited 11-26-2019).]

olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 181
Rate this member

Report this Post11-26-2019 03:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadClick Here to Email olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The hose between the radiator and the expansion tank could well be the cause of your problem.
Sounds like your issues are resolved.
Good deal!
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-26-2019 03:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickClick Here to Email PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I noticed after shutdown my thermostat cap now is hissing a little bit... Is that normal?

No.

Originally posted by Patrick:

The top of the thermostat housing can get bent from improper removal of the cap (ie using a big honkin' pipe wrench to remove it), so you need to make sure it's flat. I've used sandpaper on a flat surface (when the housing was off the engine) to see where the high points were, but something similar can probably be done while the housing is still on the engine. You want the top edge of the housing to eventually be corrosion free and flat, otherwise even a new cap won't be able to seal. And when the cap is put on, push down while turning to make sure it's turned all the way (past the first click and to the end).

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 11-26-2019).]

cebix

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-27-2019 07:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cebixSend a Private Message to cebixReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Noticed today that the thermostat cap started leaking, so yeah. The hissing was a sign.
fierobear

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-28-2019 02:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierobearClick Here to Email fierobearSend a Private Message to fierobearReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Noticed today that the thermostat cap started leaking, so yeah. The hissing was a sign.

Any loss of pressure will cause problems.
cebix

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-04-2019 12:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cebixSend a Private Message to cebixReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Still fighting with it, driving around, no change. Made a rubber gasket to seal the thermostat cap. Now the thermostat housing is leaking where it attaches to the block... Guess now it's a leak hunt.

Anyways another question - how much should the reservoir tank level move? It's at "ADD" level at cold and goes up about half an inch maybe when hot. Should it go all the way up to "FULL"? That's about a 3 inch difference I guess. I'm wondering if my leaks are excessive pressure related since they weren't there before and if my rad cap is actually opening or has the little hose clogged itself... Many thanks.

EDIT: Then again I think because of a leak there might never be enough pressure to push the rad cap open? I guess I'll post again when I get rid of the leak(s).

[This message has been edited by cebix (edited 12-04-2019).]

Mike in Sydney

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-04-2019 04:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mike in SydneySend a Private Message to Mike in SydneyReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If your t'stat housing needs replacing, check the PFF Mall. I think I saw a therrmostat housing on offer by PFF member Villain.

------------------
Mike in Sydney

cebix

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-05-2019 03:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cebixSend a Private Message to cebixReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks. I'm pretty sure that's a V6 housing, it faces the other way around. I'm going to try to fix my housing for now and see where that gets me.
cebix

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-05-2019 11:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cebixSend a Private Message to cebixReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looking for leaks and found this too. This is the hose that connects to the passenger side coolant tube in the rear (under the water pump).

Looking for a side of the road fix - I don't have the means to flush the coolant again right now since it's a pretty low point in the system. Is there a way to fix this without taking the hose off? Maybe just try to tighten the clamp, maybe move it further a little or is there no point in doing that? The same thing is on the water pump outlet... Many thanks.

Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-05-2019 11:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickClick Here to Email PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Looking for a side of the road fix ... Is there a way to fix this without taking the hose off? Maybe just try to tighten the clamp...

Tightening the existing clamp is step one. If that doesn't stop the leak, double-clamping isn't an uncommon next step.

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 12-05-2019).]

cebix

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-05-2019 11:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cebixSend a Private Message to cebixReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Didn't think of that! Double clamping here we go. Hope that doesn't ruin the hoses.
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 3 pages long:  1   2   3 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock