2.8 88 Surging by ChuckR
Started on: 10-27-2019 06:37 PM
Replies: 13 (370 views)
Last post by: ChuckR on 03-28-2020 08:59 AM
ChuckR

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-27-2019 06:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ChuckRSend a Private Message to ChuckREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My 88 2.8 will start and run pretty decently. It will drive and be fine for about the first 15-20 minutes of driving. After about 20 min, the car will start dropping on its face then bucking at steady throttle. If you WOT it will stutter then take off. Sitting in park idle is good at about 800-900 RPM. in park once this starts a steady increase on the pedal will result in erratic raise in rpm. Also the tach will start to go nuts as well if held at any RPM over idle.

------------------
"HICCUPP" 1988 2.8 GT Ocelot SS exhaust

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post10-27-2019 06:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by ChuckR:
Also the tach will start to go nuts as well if held at any RPM over idle.

Ogre always wants you to remove the tach filter to rule it out.
Something is changing when the component gets hot....so I am thinking it would be the pick-up coil or the ICM. The pick-up coil can be tested on the car.
ChuckR

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-27-2019 08:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ChuckRSend a Private Message to ChuckREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
There isnt a tach filter on it, so it will be more likely to have an erratic gauge, but it only happens after it has been running for a while and after the erratic throttle. I tested the coil it tests good but that was also at cold and not hot. The coil only has about 200 miles on it. They are cheap enough i will try replacing it again. I was thinking it was in the ignition myself but I wanted to see if anyone else knew what it could be from experience. That or somehow TPS once it is hot it is going bad, kind of has that feel to it when you have a bad TPS. Lurches about. Happened on a 90 degree day and on a 65 degree day so it is not climate related. But I agree that there is a thermal dynamic to this issue once the car is at 220 or higher. But since I do not have a tach filter on the coil and since it does go nuts with this issue I am leaning to coil or ICM. I only drive the car about a tank of gas a month or less. Mainly because I do not feel like it is dependable yet, only had it since July.
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post10-27-2019 08:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I tested the coil it tests good but that was also at cold and not hot. The coil only has about 200 miles on it.

Are you referring to the ignition coil or the pick-up coil? These are two different components.
ChuckR

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-28-2019 09:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ChuckRSend a Private Message to ChuckREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Good call, this is what I get for checking thread right before I go to bed. I was thinking ignition coil when I said I checked it with the ohmmeter... Even with the pick up it is cheap enough that just changing it out makes sense.

More on the behavior, when it starts to act up at a steady cruise it will start backfiring and stuttering. Again though car idles perfectly. just only on throttle is there issue, and only after about 20 min so once the car is up to full temp. I will try changing the pick up coil. Any other suggestions on causes?
ChuckR

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2020 05:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ChuckRSend a Private Message to ChuckREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ok new season same problem.... I started it up for the first time this year, it ran good then when hot it sputters along. I know we have discussed a pick up coil possibility, but this feels just like it did right before I changed out the ignition coil. So i went to take off the one I have in it and it was burning hot. Could I possibly be experiencing heat soak on the ignition coil? it is mounted in the stock location,. However the previous owner had done an EGR delete so the EGR is no longer there nor the heat shield. the Coil seems to be only about an inch or 2 from the exhaust manifold. I did heat wrap the manifold but i dont think that is doing much. Should I attempt to relocate? Thank you in advance for any feedback. Also I have a used known good distributor I can put in I just havent yet.
fierogt28

Feedback score:    (14)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-26-2020 09:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierogt28Send a Private Message to fierogt28Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Replace the ICM with an AC Delco brand part. You can buy a tach filter from TFS or Rodney for piece of mind.

If you wanna go hog wild, replace the ignition coil at the same time. No harm there.

BTW, does this fiero have an old cat. convertor on it?

I personally found that running the fiero without a cat. convertor was the best mod you can do without having problems.

------------------
fierogt28

88 GT, Loaded, 5-speed.
88 GT, 5-speed. Beechwood interior, All original.

fierogt28

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-26-2020 09:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierogt28Send a Private Message to fierogt28Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

fierogt28

2937 posts
Member since Feb 2005
I'd get that EGR valve and EGR tube up running again.

The engine is designed to work with the anti-pollution EGR system.

Its all has to work, not just 50% connected.

------------------
fierogt28

88 GT, Loaded, 5-speed.
88 GT, 5-speed. Beechwood interior, All original.

fierogt28

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-26-2020 09:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierogt28Send a Private Message to fierogt28Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

fierogt28

2937 posts
Member since Feb 2005

[This message has been edited by fierogt28 (edited 03-26-2020).]

ChuckR

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-27-2020 10:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ChuckRSend a Private Message to ChuckREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thank you, the whole system is removed and I believe it has been in the ECU as well. If my main goal was to keep this engine then I would put the money back into that aspect, however I am planning a swap. I just want to be able to enjoy the car until I have all the swap details ironed out and I have to pull the current engine.

I am down to ignition coil, pickup coil, ICM, or fuel pump for causing this issue. The Ignition coil is new but it could have gone bad again so I will replace that under warranty. If it continues to happen I will change the distributor out with a used known good, if it still continues I will drop the gas tank and replace the fuel pump. I tried relocating the ignition coil last night and it did not fix the problem. The only other thing I can think of is alternator since my voltage is fluctuating by turning on the turn signal. the AC fan, headlights. I am also replacing grounds and adding new ones for this same reason.
Rexgirl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-27-2020 02:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RexgirlSend a Private Message to RexgirlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Backfiring is a timing issue, ignition or valve. Yes, try your other distributor first.
PFF
System Bot
ChuckR

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-27-2020 04:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ChuckRSend a Private Message to ChuckREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierogt28:

Replace the ICM with an AC Delco brand part. You can buy a tach filter from TFS or Rodney for piece of mind.

If you wanna go hog wild, replace the ignition coil at the same time. No harm there.

BTW, does this fiero have an old cat. convertor on it?

I personally found that running the fiero without a cat. convertor was the best mod you can do without having problems.

Also PO removed the cat so it is emission system free. The coil is mostly new. I will swap the distributor out with the known good. The one on it is the new star style the know good used is a stock style with the "ears". I guess I should just do it. I am a bit nervous swapping the dizzy since I dont want to wreck my timing. I have never messed with a dizzy like that before. I will also warranty the coil I just bought in case it is also bad again. The tach filter i am not that concerned with.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post03-27-2020 08:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I am a bit nervous swapping the dizzy since I dont want to wreck my timing.

You need to use a timing light. It's not optional.

ChuckR

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-28-2020 08:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ChuckRSend a Private Message to ChuckREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:

You need to use a timing light. It's not optional.

I bought one just for this, I also have a yellow paint marker I am going to use to highlight the damper mark and 10* mark on the scale. i also know to set timing I need to jump pins 1-2 to set diagnostic mode to stop the ECU from adjusting timing once I am ready to set timing.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock