Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  1985 2.5 EGR hole/washer/orifice dimensions? Can someone measure theirs?

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
1985 2.5 EGR hole/washer/orifice dimensions? Can someone measure theirs? by cebix
Started on: 10-27-2019 06:21 AM
Replies: 11 (329 views)
Last post by: cebix on 11-18-2019 01:11 PM
cebix

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-27-2019 06:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cebixSend a Private Message to cebixEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I found a problem with my EGR in my other topic so posting a new thread so more people will see.

I don't know which size orifice washer should I install in my new universal EGR since I don't have an original one to compare to. If anybody has theirs lying around could you measure the orifice and post the dimensions here? Many thanks.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post10-27-2019 07:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If it has a number on it, it's 11.

I couldn't find a number on mine, but the opening of the one that goes underneath the manifold is 0.230 inches.

Edit: I retract that. I didn't pay attention to the 2.5 engine. My reference is for the 2.8.

[This message has been edited by fierofool (edited 10-27-2019).]

theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post10-27-2019 10:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
direction should has OEM EGR # = Washer #
If so See my Cave, Emissions for OEM #.

Don't count others saying Washer # because different packs directions may have different numbers.

Must install the washers right or can leak or worse fall into engine.
See same page.

not sure if still have a bad valve to measure size of hole. I'll look later.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave

theogre

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-27-2019 03:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

theogre

32246 posts
Member since Mar 99
I put 17/64in drill to measure in hole that quick measures 0.265in diameter if your missing directions.
Might be metric but should get you close number to match.
cebix

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-28-2019 01:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cebixSend a Private Message to cebixEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thank you very much. I'll fabricate a washer and see if it helps with the stumble and hunting idle. Will let you guys know in a week or two for future reference.
cebix

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-05-2019 03:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cebixSend a Private Message to cebixEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I bought a 6.5mm orifice washer and seems to work great now. No stumble though still a little hunting idle though much better than before. The originally installed office had a 10mm orifice...

I wonder if I can dial it even better for the hunting idle or is there not going to be any noticable difference or is the hunting idle caused by something else... Could the orifice be too small now?

[This message has been edited by cebix (edited 11-05-2019).]

pmbrunelle

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post11-05-2019 08:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for pmbrunelleSend a Private Message to pmbrunelleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You should have no EGR flow at idle, so the orifice size should have no effect at idle.
cebix

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-05-2019 01:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cebixSend a Private Message to cebixEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks. Guess it's something simple, it must be. I'm still having the issue from my previous thread and I guess it's possible it's linked to that.

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/140526.html
cebix

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-06-2019 10:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cebixSend a Private Message to cebixEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Acutally now I notice a little stumble/misfire at certain RPMs part throttle, say 1800-1900. It's slight but it is there.
cebix

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-18-2019 12:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cebixSend a Private Message to cebixEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Okay, decided to buy a new EGR from AC Delco without the shimming orifice stuff. Well a Made in China one came in and it has a different orifice then what theogre measured by quite a margin and seems to run the best so far of all my EGRs. Too bad I though it would be an OEM part but it turned out to be Chinese but what can you do... Here are some photos for future reference, the orifice seems to be 10.5mm wide. There's like a washer inside you can see in the photo where the caliper touches and it is loose inside there - wonder if that's how it should be? Car seems to run better, no stumble at any RPMs other than my cooling issue in the other thread. This is for an 1985 2.5 duke automatic w/AC.

[This message has been edited by cebix (edited 11-18-2019).]

theogre

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-18-2019 01:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Washers are for universal types because fits hundreds or more engines.

ACdelco, Standard and other units like above isn't same and you likely measure the wrong place. This type is gas metered farther in the unit and can't measure w/o taking apart. Or the opening work w/ the inside valve part that move down in the orifice IOW you might measure total opening but doesn't mean much.

When possible, this type work better because can't leak like loose washers in universal ones.
PFF
System Bot
cebix

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-18-2019 01:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cebixSend a Private Message to cebixEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I thought that might be the issue and measuring like I did means probably not much. However the universal one with my washer that matched your measurement was running pretty good but with a little stumble at some RPMs. This one however seems to run good all through the RPM range. Conclusion: don't buy universal EGRs as it's a hit or miss thing especially if you don't know if yours is original.

To not be misunderstood I'm thankful for your measurement since it let me pinpoint what the issue was.

[This message has been edited by cebix (edited 11-18-2019).]

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock