Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  87 e-brake cable attached to cradle - how to remove?

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
87 e-brake cable attached to cradle - how to remove? by fierobear
Started on: 10-23-2019 12:21 PM
Replies: 8 (246 views)
Last post by: fierofool on 10-27-2019 03:37 PM
fierobear

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 383
Rate this member

Report this Post10-23-2019 12:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierobearSend a Private Message to fierobearEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
How in the heck do you disconnect the driver's side segment of the emergency brake cable from the cradle?

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Blacktree

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
Rate this member

Report this Post10-23-2019 01:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The e-brake cables have 3 tabs that anchor the cable into the cradle. You have to push in the tabs, so they can pass through the hole. You can try to push them in one-by-one with a screwdriver (which is annoying). Or if you're replacing the cable, you can cut the end off and slip an appropriately sized socket over it, and use the socket the depress the tabs.
fierobear

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-23-2019 02:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierobearSend a Private Message to fierobearEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Blacktree:

The e-brake cables have 3 tabs that anchor the cable into the cradle. You have to push in the tabs, so they can pass through the hole. You can try to push them in one-by-one with a screwdriver (which is annoying). Or if you're replacing the cable, you can cut the end off and slip an appropriately sized socket over it, and use the socket the depress the tabs.

I’m aware of the three tab things. The 88 cables have them (this is an 87 I’m working on), but don’t attach to the cradle the same way and route differently. The other side has that, this side looks like a solid piece. I don’t see or feel any tabs.
Mickey_Moose

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 143
Rate this member

Report this Post10-23-2019 02:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mickey_MooseClick Here to visit Mickey_Moose's HomePageSend a Private Message to Mickey_MooseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierobear:

I’m aware of the three tab things. The 88 cables have them (this is an 87 I’m working on), but don’t attach to the cradle the same way and route differently. The other side has that, this side looks like a solid piece. I don’t see or feel any tabs.

The 87 should also have them, my 86 brake cables had them and they should be the same on the 87. Can you post a picture of the cable on the other side of the cradle? Either way I just use a deep socket to remove the cables. No need to cut the end off, you can pull the cable all the way back so the end is tight up against the 3-tab thing. Worst case the cable comes through the hole in the socket.
theogre

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post10-23-2019 02:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It has 3 ears like he said above. Same as the caliper end.
Look in the frame in next hole to see them.

If you replace them just put small flat screwdriver under each ear and open to break them. Ears are harder steel and doesn't bend much before breaking.

To save them small worm hose clamp to compress the ears. Is a pain but might work better then trying to compress then rotate each ear thru hole.
Clamp has to be all the way open to try and a big pain to install and try to close. Plus likely have clean the ears and inside frame there too.

Caliper end ears are easy to compress or break. Do that end first so have more slack for frame ends.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave

fierobear

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-23-2019 07:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierobearSend a Private Message to fierobearEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I gave this another close look, and felt around with my bare finger instead of with the heavy nitrile gloves on and found the tabs. I should be able to work it out now. Thanks.
Spoon

Feedback score:    (16)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 61
Rate this member

Report this Post10-26-2019 10:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SpoonSend a Private Message to SpoonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierobear:

I gave this another close look, and felt around with my bare finger instead of with the heavy nitrile gloves on and found the tabs. I should be able to work it out now. Thanks.

Good luck. I did this job twice and the second time around was no easier than the first. You will be amazed at how difficult it is to depress 3 simple fingers just to release a simple brake cable end. Hint... break 1 finger off and you'll find that the other 2 will depress enough to work it free. I think theogre and I are on the same page with this.

The hand brake cable is also quite a venture. I won't spoil the surprise but you'll find out if or when you pull the old one out!!

Spoon

------------------
"Kilgore Trout once wrote a short story which was a dialogue between two pieces of yeast. They were discussing the possible purposes of life as they ate sugar and suffocated in their own excrement. Because of their limited intelligence, they never came close to guessing that they were making champagne." - Kurt Vonnegut

fierobear

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-27-2019 02:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierobearSend a Private Message to fierobearEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Spoon:

Good luck. I did this job twice and the second time around was no easier than the first. You will be amazed at how difficult it is to depress 3 simple fingers just to release a simple brake cable end. Hint... break 1 finger off and you'll find that the other 2 will depress enough to work it free. I think theogre and I are on the same page with this.

The hand brake cable is also quite a venture. I won't spoil the surprise but you'll find out if or when you pull the old one out!!

Spoon

I finally got it done. I figured out that using an angled pry bar to put pressure on one tab at a time while pulling the cable outward did the trick. Also tapped on each tab with a hammer to flatten them. Worked my way around, then POP it came out.

I recently had to reinstall an e-brake handle on one of my dead Fieros so that I could relocate it but be able to stop it from rolling at the right time. With less than sufficient slack in the cable, it was an adventure in creative vice gripping, pry barring and curse words. But I got it done.
fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post10-27-2019 03:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I believe there's a hole in the bottom of the cradle directly underneath the latches. Your cradle is sitting on the pallet so the hole is hidden. The hole is there for 2 purposes. Drains water and debris from the cable and gives access to the latches.

You can also take a thin wall 12 point 3/8 drive 10 mm socket and slide it over the cable end. Press it against the latches and they will release. The same socket will work to release the latches on the cable at the e-brake lever where it passes through the mount on the control arm.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock