4.9 low mount alternator by dear1700
Started on: 10-22-2019 01:44 AM
Replies: 12 (375 views)
Last post by: Dennis LaGrua on 10-26-2019 03:14 PM
dear1700

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-22-2019 01:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for dear1700Send a Private Message to dear1700Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I was curious how some users, like john4.9, mounted the alternator down low where the ac compressor normally sits. I tried googling and using search for a close up picture but can’t find one. Thanks in advance!
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post10-22-2019 11:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Assume that you want deck clearance.. No need to mount the 4.9L alternator down low. We just mount a smaller GM alternator from a 87 Grand Am in the same spot above. It is a C130 design that puts out over 100 amps. All thats needed is a spacer and a 3" piece of steel for a straight bracket to pick up the outer bolt hole. There are no clearance issues and the unit plugs right in. .

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Spintech/Hedman Exhaust, P-log Manifold, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, Champion Radiator, S10 Brake Booster, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

[This message has been edited by Dennis LaGrua (edited 10-22-2019).]

Neils88

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 56
Rate this member

Report this Post10-22-2019 12:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Neils88Send a Private Message to Neils88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Actually, this is a good question. I have to move my 4.9 alternator down low as well. I'll also be adding the AC compressor so the two will need to be positioned in the same area. Unfortunately, I can't use a smaller alternator above as it will interfere with the engine trim that I'm using (Aventador replica). I remember seeing some pics of the low alternator configuration when I was doing my 4.9 build... but couldn't find them when I looked for them recently.

[This message has been edited by Neils88 (edited 10-22-2019).]

Johns 4.9

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-22-2019 01:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Johns 4.9Click Here to visit Johns 4.9's HomePageSend a Private Message to Johns 4.9Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
dear1700,
Here is a close up pic. PM me if interested.
Cheers,
John

Neils88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-22-2019 01:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Neils88Send a Private Message to Neils88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Johns 4.9:

dear1700,
Cheers,
John

That's looks good, John. Any thoughts on how to integrate the AC compressor with that setup?

Johns 4.9

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-22-2019 01:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Johns 4.9Click Here to visit Johns 4.9's HomePageSend a Private Message to Johns 4.9Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Neils88,
Thank you. I am moving my shop to Arizona at the end of the year and opening back up early next year. I am working on another mounting system to accommodate the a/c compressor. Custom a/c lines will need to be made to clear the headers. I am open minded to suggestion.
Cheers,
John
Mickey_Moose

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 143
Rate this member

Report this Post10-22-2019 02:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mickey_MooseClick Here to visit Mickey_Moose's HomePageSend a Private Message to Mickey_MooseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Johns 4.9:

dear1700,
Cheers,
John

That is a nice setup.

others: for the record, I had my stock 4.9l alternator in the stock location without any issue with the stock decklid. If yours is interfering with the decklid, then your engine is sitting too high. Of course if you are doing it for aesthetics that is different.
Neils88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-22-2019 06:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Neils88Send a Private Message to Neils88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Mickey_Moose:

That is a nice setup.

others: for the record, I had my stock 4.9l alternator in the stock location without any issue with the stock decklid. If yours is interfering with the decklid, then your engine is sitting too high. Of course if you are doing it for aesthetics that is different.

Mine fit perfectly in the OEM location... until I started the replica build. I guess it would ultimately count as a required move for aesthetics. However, it is a necessary move so I'll plug away at it. I do have a fair bit of room in my engine bay due to an 11" stretch. I suspect I'll end up starting with John's layout, then add the compressor forward of the alternator with a tensioner between/ above them to ensure the necessary belt wrap.

This is my current wrap layout... pretty standard.

dear1700

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-22-2019 07:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dear1700Send a Private Message to dear1700Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My Eaton m90 supercharger is currently occupying the stock alternator location. John, that is clever use of the adjustable turnbuckle from the backside of the alternator. And thanks for the pic, exactly what I needed!
Johns 4.9

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-22-2019 08:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Johns 4.9Click Here to visit Johns 4.9's HomePageSend a Private Message to Johns 4.9Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
dear1700,
Thanks for the compliment. I'm glad the pic could be helpful. Good luck with your build.
Cheers,
John
fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 257
Rate this member

Report this Post10-22-2019 09:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Here is the one I did way back when...

PFF
System Bot
olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post10-23-2019 08:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The idler between the crank and the alternator is a good idea, really helps with belt wrap on the alternator.
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post10-26-2019 03:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Here is the way we did it. Its a simple approach No brackets need to be fabricated. The 87 Grand Am C-130 alternator provides plenty of clearance and only a spacer and a small 1" W piece of metal joins the other end.

The tensioner is from a 93-95 Camaro w the 3.4L engine.
-----------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Spintech/Hedman Exhaust, P-log Manifold, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, Champion Radiator, S10 Brake Booster, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

[This message has been edited by Dennis LaGrua (edited 10-26-2019).]

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock