Rear Coil Overs - How Low by michfiero1
Started on: 10-21-2019 06:41 PM
Replies: 15 (380 views)
Last post by: 2.5 on 10-24-2019 01:38 PM
michfiero1

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-21-2019 06:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for michfiero1Send a Private Message to michfiero1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hi All, have looked around but haven't found the answer. Is there a "don't go lower than" recommendation for the rear when doing coil-overs (besides the obvious ground clearance issue)?

Many Thanks
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 257
Rate this member

Report this Post10-21-2019 08:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If you plan on driving the car, you need to keep at least 2" of suspension travel in compression. Even then you will be on the strut bump stops all the time, so ride will be compromised.
Spadesluck

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-21-2019 09:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SpadesluckSend a Private Message to SpadesluckEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What pound springs are you going to use? That will also play into how low you go with limited suspension travel.
michfiero1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-22-2019 05:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for michfiero1Send a Private Message to michfiero1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the responses so far. Let me flip the question around a bit. If I went with 12" springs, 325pds and lowered the rear 2 inches...what else do I have to worry about? Oh...this is an 86

Thanks again!

[This message has been edited by michfiero1 (edited 10-22-2019).]

olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post10-22-2019 10:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I ran 2"drop Eibachs on the rear of my 86 with no issues - 300# rating.
michfiero1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-22-2019 04:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for michfiero1Send a Private Message to michfiero1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks Joe...that was 2" drop springs or a coil over setup?
Spadesluck

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-22-2019 05:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SpadesluckSend a Private Message to SpadesluckEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by michfiero1:

Thanks for the responses so far. Let me flip the question around a bit. If I went with 12" springs, 325pds and lowered the rear 2 inches...what else do I have to worry about? Oh...this is an 86

Thanks again!

I think that would be a great combo honestly. The 12 inch springs will have less chance for coil bind as well. Not sure there would be much to worry about. There is a lot of room for 2" drop. I lowered mine a lot lower than that.

[This message has been edited by Spadesluck (edited 10-22-2019).]

La fiera

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-22-2019 08:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for La fieraSend a Private Message to La fieraEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Mine is very low because it is a dedicated race car. Comfort or ride quiality are not my necesities, performance is.
My spring rates are #900 front and #700 rears. I know, too stiff. But it serves the purpose of my set up.
The front of the car is higher than the rear as you can see and that is to take away front grip and add it to the rear by
raising the front a bit and lowering the rear. I will tune it at the track, meantime it drives like a slot car with these sticky Toyos!
fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 257
Rate this member

Report this Post10-22-2019 10:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Thanks again!

2" would be fine, as most people are in the 1" to 2" lowering range. Now going for 4", that is a little extreme.
olejoedad

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-22-2019 11:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Thanks Joe...that was 2" drop springs or a coil over setup?

Drop springs on KYB struts. Never saw a need for coilovers.....
michfiero1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-23-2019 06:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for michfiero1Send a Private Message to michfiero1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks everyone....appreciate the advice!
PFF
System Bot
pmbrunelle

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post10-23-2019 08:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pmbrunelleSend a Private Message to pmbrunelleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by olejoedad:

Drop springs on KYB struts. Never saw a need for coilovers.....

If you want to install big fat tires, the spring perches may get in the way. The coilover sleeves will give some breathing room.

I also like the use of standard interchangeable springs on these coilover sleeves; if you're not happy with the result, it's easy to swap springs vs. something adapted to the Fiero perches.
olejoedad

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-23-2019 11:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Never needed big fat tires.
pmbrunelle

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post10-23-2019 11:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pmbrunelleSend a Private Message to pmbrunelleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Auto modification is rarely a need... more of a "want".
olejoedad

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-24-2019 08:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Have always been about handling, not style or stance.
Big tires dont always equal better handling.

But a Lambo rebody would look kind of goofy with skinny tires.

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post10-24-2019 01:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Thanks again!

Stock engine weight?

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock