Fiero Headlight Door on Hood by Zoeyroni
Started on: 10-21-2019 01:23 PM
Replies: 11 (514 views)
Last post by: 2.5 on 10-24-2019 01:40 PM
Zoeyroni

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-21-2019 01:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ZoeyroniSend a Private Message to ZoeyroniEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
For the headlight door for the Headlights on the hood, is there a way to loosen it or allow it to not be as tight. My headlight is having a hard time pushing through it due to how tight it is and it's making the motor get very hot.
I was thinking just putting WD40 on the rotating parts but I wasn't sure if maybe there was something there making it tight that could be loosened.
Thank you!
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post10-21-2019 02:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Do not loosen anything. The motors are probably not getting the Amperage they used to. Disconnect the battery and clean the electrical connections at the motor.
cvxjet

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-21-2019 03:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cvxjetSend a Private Message to cvxjetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
A) Do not put any grease/lub on the nyliner bushings- you can clean them tho. B) Cleaning the wiring connections may help, but C) I just had both motors on my 85 try to run on/catch fire, so I swapped out the harness/control/motors for 87-88 2nd gen system...Much better and the motors are safer. Watch for an 87-88 in the junkyards in your area and grab the harness and controller- the motors are available new or rebuilt on Amazon, Summit, etc.

Check JYs on "Row 52" using your zip code...I already checked and there are 85-86s but no later ones at the moment...

I am also doing a mod article for on Pennock's about placing a relay in the power wire to the motors- they would only have power when the key was on, so you don't have to worry after you park in your garage and go in for the night- if you hear sirens and you look out and the garage is on fire, it won't be because of the headlight motors!
Zoeyroni

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-21-2019 03:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ZoeyroniSend a Private Message to ZoeyroniEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I know for certain it is not the motor itself because when the hood is up it works perfectly fine. If it was the connection to the motor it would still be having troubles if the hood was up if I'm not mistaken. I'll try cleaning all the connection points in a little bit and will update the thread later. Thank you both very much!
fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post10-21-2019 03:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
There are two places the headlight mechanism contacts the headlight door. Two teflon strips are in those areas. Be sure both rub points are equally spaced from the headlight door. If the headlight mechanism isn't square to the door, it may bind. Square up the mechanism. You can use a dry silicone spray on the nylon bushings without harming them but any other lube that's wet or petroleum based can create more problems to include attracting dust and debris and deterioration.

Some people have reported removing one of the springs on the headlight door, but I suspect that may cause other issues, like air pressure lifting the doors at normal highway speeds.

[This message has been edited by fierofool (edited 10-21-2019).]

Patrick

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post10-21-2019 03:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Zoeyroni:

I know for certain it is not the motor itself because when the hood is up it works perfectly fine.

"works perfectly fine" with absolutely no load on the motor doesn't mean much.
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post10-22-2019 02:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The motor(s) get hot is NOT a door problem.
The motors should be shutting down for any "jamming" problem and Not heat the Motor(s).
Lift motors that won't do this can burn the system to the whole car.

There are two versions of HL motors.
See my Cave, Gen 1 HL Motor and Gen 2 HL Motor
Put Year etc Every Time you post a problem.
We aren't mind readers and do not wast to wast time.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave

Zoeyroni

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-22-2019 07:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ZoeyroniSend a Private Message to ZoeyroniEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Update:
I did some testing last night after work and it is most definitely an electrical problem. Thank you to you guys for the help in deducting that for me. There is something there that is just not getting enough power so the motor can't break through properly. It's a Gen 1 passenger side motor that was rebuilt from a dealer. That being said I may need some guidance in trying to fix this. Has anyone else had the issue of the Headlight motor not getting enough power? If so how do you go about checking for where the problem is/fixing it.
I'm sorry for my lack of understanding for all of this, I'm fairly new to Cars and Car Fourms so I'm still learning.
Thank you!
cvxjet

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-22-2019 11:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cvxjetSend a Private Message to cvxjetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I found that my new hood was missing a spring from each side because I was leaving a Tonda-boy behind thru a turn and then got up to 80 mph and the HL doors flipped up. (I replaced the extra springs) You could remove one spring from each side- and then not exceed 75 mph (AIR speed!)....
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post10-22-2019 04:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
"bad power" is often iffy ground(s).
Clean/fix them near HL assem then coat w/ brake or silicone grease.
See my Cave, Wire Service
Mickey_Moose

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 143
Rate this member

Report this Post10-23-2019 03:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mickey_MooseClick Here to visit Mickey_Moose's HomePageSend a Private Message to Mickey_MooseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You can also swap the relay from the passenger side with the driver side - you could have a relay that is burnt and not making proper contact inside allowing full current to pass.
PFF
System Bot

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post10-24-2019 01:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What year Fiero? It could be mechanical in the motor and not electrical, in issue.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock