Fuel Filler Neck Hose Removal by nero
Started on: 10-20-2019 07:30 PM
Replies: 15 (448 views)
Last post by: Spoon on 10-25-2019 09:30 PM
nero

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-20-2019 07:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for neroSend a Private Message to neroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hi, I am planning on dropping my fuel tank to replace some fuel lines on the top of the tank that are getting a bit rusty. I read through all of the posts on dropping the fuel tank (at least I think I did, there are quite a few of them). So I am basically stuck at step 1.....so its a good start. I want to drain out the fuel. Against what I read in all the post I tried to syphon it out through the filler neck, and that failed as I could not get around all the bends to make it to the tank. So I read on what my other options were. I see that disconnecting the fuel line at the fuel filter and running the pump using the ALDL connector. I do not really want to do it that way on fear of burning out the pump as its almost a full tank. So my next option was directly through the tank where the rubber hose from the fuel filler neck connects to the tank......So that was fail #2. I have the heat shield removed and I can get the hose almost to the end of the fuel tank connection but I am always just short of getting it off as the rubber hose is too stiff. I fought with that for a few hours. Is their any trick to getting the hose off without cutting it? If not I am looking at option 3 which is to use the vent connection at the fuel tank. Will this work? I found a post on another site mentioning they used this but I did not find a post here mentioning to use the vent connection.

Thanks.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post10-20-2019 08:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by nero:
I see that disconnecting the fuel line at the fuel filter and running the pump using the ALDL connector. I do not really want to do it that way on fear of burning out the pump as its almost a full tank.

Have no fear.....the pump will not burn out. This is normal operation for the pump. Just make sure to shut it off when the fuel stops flowing.

[This message has been edited by Gall757 (edited 10-20-2019).]

nero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-21-2019 08:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for neroSend a Private Message to neroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Gall757:

Have no fear.....the pump will not burn out. This is normal operation for the pump. Just make sure to shut it off when the fuel stops flowing.

Ok, thanks. I will try it out tomorrow.
michfiero1

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-21-2019 09:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for michfiero1Send a Private Message to michfiero1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
thumbs up for the pump route. I did manage to pull the hose off but it was a mother of an effort and if I were to do it again...definitely the pump option

[This message has been edited by michfiero1 (edited 10-21-2019).]

nero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-22-2019 05:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for neroSend a Private Message to neroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ok, so apparently I suck at this. So I found the connector, making sure the key on the connector was facing down and ran 12v from the battery to pin G on the ALDL connector and the pump did not kick on. Does the key need to be on or do one of the other pins need to be grounded?
nero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-22-2019 05:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for neroSend a Private Message to neroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

nero

72 posts
Member since Aug 2008
Nevermind, it was just my test leads I was using. The pump kicked on when I ran a jumper wire straight to the battery. So just need to get an alligator clip so I am not holding a wire sparking all over the place while pumping out fuel.

michfiero1, I completely agree, I have no idea how you got that rubber connector hose off at the tank without dropping it a bit or cutting the hose, hats off to you. The fuel pump method is much easier.
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post10-23-2019 01:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

The fuel pump method is much easier.

Sure, that's great when it's an option... but not so great when the whole reason for dropping the tank is because the fuel pump has failed.

olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post10-23-2019 02:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Two tools.....
A hook shaped hose tool, used to slip between the hose and the metal nipple to break the hose loose.
A short pry bar to remove the hose. The chime on the tank is a good fulcrum when using the pry bar as a lever.
nero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-23-2019 05:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for neroSend a Private Message to neroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:

Sure, that's great when it's an option... but not so great when the whole reason for dropping the tank is because the fuel pump has failed.

Yep, luckily my pump is working.
nero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-23-2019 05:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for neroSend a Private Message to neroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

nero

72 posts
Member since Aug 2008

Originally posted by olejoedad:

Two tools.....
A hook shaped hose tool, used to slip between the hose and the metal nipple to break the hose loose.
A short pry bar to remove the hose. The chime on the tank is a good fulcrum when using the pry bar as a lever.

Doh, i was so close, never thought on using my small prybar, I was doing the exact same as you described but using my largest screwdriver I had which did not quite give me enough to pop it off the end.

olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post10-24-2019 08:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I very seldom empty a full tank to drop it.
A full tank isnt all that heavy.
PFF
System Bot
nero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-24-2019 08:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for neroSend a Private Message to neroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Maybe if I had dropped one before I may try it with a full tank but since I barely know what I am doing, I would rather have it empty if it drops on my head.
Anyway, got it all drained out, thanks for everyone's help.
Camel

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-24-2019 09:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CamelClick Here to visit Camel's HomePageSend a Private Message to CamelEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Maybe if I had dropped one before I may try it with a full tank but since I barely know what I am doing, I would rather have it empty if it drops on my head.
Anyway, got it all drained out, thanks for everyone's help.

You should take some pics while you're at it and post em! :-D

I'm about to do mine in a few weeks after the last car show to replace the lines/pump/filters etc and paint the tank as some PM. I got some new stainless lines from The Fiero Store, and I am eager to put them on.
nero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-25-2019 05:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for neroSend a Private Message to neroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Camel:

You should take some pics while you're at it and post em! :-D

I'm about to do mine in a few weeks after the last car show to replace the lines/pump/filters etc and paint the tank as some PM. I got some new stainless lines from The Fiero Store, and I am eager to put them on.

I will for sure, but its going to be slow progress for me. I am just got the Fiero so I am making a list of what I want / need to do. Its going to be blocked up for at least 8 months while I pick away at things. I did end up getting a set of Quickjacks. I will post a picture of that in another thread I had started. It should work out for dropping the tank and access to most other tasks I want to do.

nero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-25-2019 06:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for neroSend a Private Message to neroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

nero

72 posts
Member since Aug 2008
One tip I can give you, is before you start tackling the tank is to remove the heat shield that is above the catalytic converter. There are only 4 small screws to take it off. In my pick below is a glass pack muffler where the catalytic converter should be (on my list to replace).

Also, just for context, this is a picture of the fuel fill rubber connector going into the gas tank (which I failed to remove). If you leave the heat shield on it blocks some access as well as being a good spot to cut up your arm on. The wet spots on the rubber connector is silicone spray.

Spoon

Feedback score:    (16)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 61
Rate this member

Report this Post10-25-2019 09:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SpoonSend a Private Message to SpoonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by olejoedad:

I very seldom empty a full tank to drop it.
A full tank isnt all that heavy.

Your more brave then me. That's 6 lb per gallon x 9 gal. =54 lb plus weight of tank. Since the tank is tapered that would be like bench pressing over 60 lb of unbalanced weight from underneath the car. I did do it once but the second time I had a car lift. Much easier.

Spoon

------------------
"Kilgore Trout once wrote a short story which was a dialogue between two pieces of yeast. They were discussing the possible purposes of life as they ate sugar and suffocated in their own excrement. Because of their limited intelligence, they never came close to guessing that they were making champagne." - Kurt Vonnegut

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock