wiring polarity of temp gauge sending unit by sledcaddie
Started on: 10-19-2019 07:55 PM
Replies: 3 (205 views)
Last post by: sledcaddie on 10-21-2019 03:28 PM
sledcaddie

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-19-2019 07:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sledcaddieSend a Private Message to sledcaddieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
1985 2.8L 4 speed - temp gauge was functioning. The wiring harness plastic connector to the sending unit was cracked and crumbling, so I soldered on a new connector. Now, the gauge doesn't read anything, sitting on "cold" after warming up. It does move to one side when you turn the key to start it. Does the polarity of the wires into the connector matter? Any other solutions are welcomed.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 567
Rate this member

Report this Post10-20-2019 03:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
likely have switch gauge and light wires to the sender.
1 pin is temp light, other is for the gauge.
Sender case to head/block is ground.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave

sledcaddie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-20-2019 03:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sledcaddieSend a Private Message to sledcaddieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This wire connector that I replaced is on the sending unit, on the driver's side of the engine block, closest to the trunk. I see only 2 narrow terminals coming out of the sending unit. How could one of these be for the gauge light? Maybe I'm not understanding your description.

I'll try swapping the wires.

[This message has been edited by sledcaddie (edited 10-20-2019).]

sledcaddie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-21-2019 03:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sledcaddieSend a Private Message to sledcaddieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks, Ogre. Luckily for me, the plastic terminal on that end opens up, so I could release the wire terminals and switch their locations, without having to re-solder the wires.
Now the temp gauge works again.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock