New ECU, car won't start by SecretMoparGuy
Started on: 10-12-2019 04:39 PM
Replies: 15 (363 views)
Last post by: SecretMoparGuy on 10-17-2019 11:05 AM
SecretMoparGuy

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-12-2019 04:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SecretMoparGuySend a Private Message to SecretMoparGuyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I had some electrical issues on my 86 auto V6 car. It would run at 800 rpm for 2 seconds. Then it jumped to 2000 rpm, CEL, and die. It threw code 12 22 33 45? Basically TPS, MAP, and Rich running. I spoke to previous owner (a flipper who didn't have the car long.) Said he replaced new TPS and good MAP and ECU. I replaced the O2 as the old one broke off. He said the same thing happened so he took the ECU back and got new one warranty. I got the new reman ecu. Now the car will not run. I did disconnect battery before I replaced new ecu. It has spark. I can hear fuel pump. It will run for 1 sec then die. No codes. Not even 12. Any thoughts?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post10-12-2019 06:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Is the check engine light on when you turn the key? You should be able to see code 12 if the ECM is working, so it is not working.
olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post10-13-2019 08:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Check ECM fuse in fuse box.
SecretMoparGuy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-13-2019 09:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SecretMoparGuySend a Private Message to SecretMoparGuyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by olejoedad:

Check ECM fuse in fuse box.

The fuses under the dash are all good.
SecretMoparGuy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-13-2019 09:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SecretMoparGuySend a Private Message to SecretMoparGuyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

SecretMoparGuy

20 posts
Member since Oct 2019

Originally posted by Gall757:

Is the check engine light on when you turn the key? You should be able to see code 12 if the ECM is working, so it is not working.

Yeah no CEL at all. I am getting a used but supposedly good ECU off a guy I bought some other parts from today. I'll let you know how that goes.
Blacktree

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
Rate this member

Report this Post10-13-2019 09:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I would suggest checking the engine grounds. The sensors ground to the engine block, by the bellhousing (firewall side). Look for broken wires, or eyelets hanging loose. Also check the ground strap. It attaches to the firewall side cylinder head (near the battery), and goes to the chassis.
Gall757

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-13-2019 10:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Is the Connector tight?

SecretMoparGuy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-13-2019 01:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SecretMoparGuySend a Private Message to SecretMoparGuyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by SecretMoparGuy:

Yeah no CEL at all. I am getting a used but supposedly good ECU off a guy I bought some other parts from today. I'll let you know how that goes.

Used ECU has CEL and starts car. So new reman ecu was not working. Still has the problems but throw only code 33.

There are two broken ground wires I think I will upload pictures.
SecretMoparGuy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-13-2019 01:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SecretMoparGuySend a Private Message to SecretMoparGuyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

SecretMoparGuy

20 posts
Member since Oct 2019

Used ECU has CEL and starts car. So new reman ecu was not working. Still has the problems but throw only code 33.

There are two broken ground wires I think I will upload pictures.

Here are the pictures of the two broken ground wires. The first is on the right side of the car near the trans. The second is on the left behind battery. Does anyone know what these go to?

https://imgur.com/a/VudHFUR

[This message has been edited by SecretMoparGuy (edited 10-13-2019).]

olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post10-13-2019 04:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The ground wire by the battery provides grounding from the terminal to the space frame.
The ground wire by the transmission connects to the drivetrain and the lower frame rail on the driver side of the car.
Both are crucial to proper operation.
Repair them.
While you are at it, there.is a ground strap from the front head to the passenger side hingebox stud.
Clean both attachment points.
Clean the ground wires from the engine harness to the transmission to engine bolts, and also the ground wire from the harness to the driver side hinge box.

You car will like you for the effort.
SecretMoparGuy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-13-2019 07:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SecretMoparGuySend a Private Message to SecretMoparGuyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by olejoedad:

The ground wire by the battery provides grounding from the terminal to the space frame.
The ground wire by the transmission connects to the drivetrain and the lower frame rail on the driver side of the car.
Both are crucial to proper operation.
Repair them.
While you are at it, there.is a ground strap from the front head to the passenger side hingebox stud.
Clean both attachment points.
Clean the ground wires from the engine harness to the transmission to engine bolts, and also the ground wire from the harness to the driver side hinge box.

You car will like you for the effort.

I will repair these. I have solved the problem. The tube just before the MAP sensor had a crack and caused a vacuum leak.

PFF
System Bot
Gall757

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-13-2019 08:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I will repair these. I have solved the problem. The tube just before the MAP sensor had a crack and caused a vacuum leak.

vacuum leaks don't cause CEL lights to not work. Something else is loose.
SecretMoparGuy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-14-2019 11:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SecretMoparGuySend a Private Message to SecretMoparGuyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Gall757:

vacuum leaks don't cause CEL lights to not work. Something else is loose.

The new/used ECU works with CEL.

Rodrv6

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 76
Rate this member

Report this Post10-15-2019 09:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Rodrv6Send a Private Message to Rodrv6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just curious, when you installed the remanufactured ECM, did you remove the PROM chip from your original ECM and put it in the remanufactured one?? Most reman ECMs do not come with the PROM, it must be swapped over....

------------------
Rod Schneider, Ball Ground, Ga.
"You can't have too many toys!"
1988 Fiero GT
1988 Porsche 928S4
1987 Corvette
2016 Mustang EcoBoost
Van's RV-6 airplane

[This message has been edited by Rodrv6 (edited 10-15-2019).]

Camel

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-16-2019 09:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CamelClick Here to visit Camel's HomePageSend a Private Message to CamelEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Rodrv6:

Just curious, when you installed the remanufactured ECM, did you remove the PROM chip from your original ECM and put it in the remanufactured one?? Most reman ECMs do not come with the PROM, it must be swapped over....

My first thought as well.

Is the vehicle running fine now?
SecretMoparGuy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-17-2019 11:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SecretMoparGuySend a Private Message to SecretMoparGuyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Camel:

My first thought as well.

Is the vehicle running fine now?

Yup runs like a top.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay