Almost impossible to shift by Achimasi
Started on: 10-12-2019 02:28 PM
Replies: 7 (254 views)
Last post by: Oregon88 on 10-20-2019 09:44 PM
Achimasi

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-12-2019 02:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AchimasiSend a Private Message to AchimasiEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey everyone,

Very recently ive started having issues shifting. It's EXTREMELY difficult to put my fiero into any gear. I can move it left or right, but when it comes to putting it into any gear I have to force it with all i've got to get it in.

I honestly dont know too much about trannys, so I'm a little lost. It's an 86 with a Muncie 4 speed.

The furthest I've gone is checking the fluids, which are good. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated. I would like to get a little more driving in before it gets too cold.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post10-12-2019 02:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

There are about a million posts here on this topic.

First question... can you put the transmission into gear when the motor isn't running?
Achimasi

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-12-2019 02:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AchimasiSend a Private Message to AchimasiEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My apologies, this site is honestly hard to navigate, I looked for a search bar to search for this topic.

I didn't think about that. Just tried it. I can change gears just fine with it turned off.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post10-12-2019 03:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Achimasi:

...this site is honestly hard to navigate, I looked for a search bar to search for this topic.

Sounds like you need to bleed the clutch hydraulics.
Achimasi

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-12-2019 03:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AchimasiSend a Private Message to AchimasiEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yeah I found it shortly after I read your reply. Found a few posts that was kind of similar but not close enough. I'll try the bleeding idea. Thanks.

This site layout is still really weird. Lol

Thanks for your artwork.
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post10-13-2019 03:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You can try bleeding but if either the clutch master or slave cylinder are worn, they will not bleed correctly. I would try Rodney Dickman for new parts that work or you can take a chance on Rock Auto. Since your Fiero is 30+ years old I would just replace both and then bleed the system using a Mityvac (vacuum bleeder) . For the trans to shift smoothly, the clutch hydraulic system is very dependent on a proper bleed. If done properly the clutch will release fine

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Spintech/Hedman Exhaust, P-log Manifold, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, Champion Radiator, S10 Brake Booster, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

JMTUT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-13-2019 01:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JMTUTSend a Private Message to JMTUTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Honestly, I find more by doing a google search and then choosing (more results on Pennocks fiero forum)
Oregon88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-20-2019 09:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Oregon88Send a Private Message to Oregon88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I started having the same issue while driving down the road the other day.

Did you solve the issue?

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock