Where is the wiper motor pulse module board 1984 Indy Fiero by David Riedle
Started on: 10-09-2019 02:21 PM
Replies: 9 (398 views)
Last post by: longjonsilver on 10-12-2019 06:07 PM
David Riedle

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-09-2019 02:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for David RiedleSend a Private Message to David RiedleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm confused...which is not a surprise to anyone who knows me.

My Indy Fiero has 12,300 actual miles, and I am slowly fixing things that occur when a car is only driven a few miles in 34 years.

Most everything is fixed, but my cruise control and wipers do not work.

I went looking for my wiper motor pulse module board, which is supposed to be ether to the left or right of the steering column under the dash. According to my research, it should be a module with an aluminum heat sink on it. I can't find it at all under there. Found other things, like the clutch pedal return spring being attached by a nut and bolt, but I can't find the module board to save my life.

Even worse, when I look at the modules on line, they don't look anything like photos of the module from someplace like Rock Auto, they don't look anything like module photo for the '84.

I'm also wondering if I should have the wiper switch in the steering column replaced. I have a new ACDelco cruise/wiper stalk to install, and I wonder if I should just have the wiper switch in the column replaced to insure that the car is trouble free (at least for the wipers) in the future.

Right now, wipers are more important than the cruise...

David Riedle
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
USMUCL

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-09-2019 06:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for USMUCLSend a Private Message to USMUCLEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
[img][/img]You sure you're not talking about the board under the front deck led?

This is from Rodney's website, and it is a solution for the phantom wipe . . . but you get the point on what I am talking about if you look at the pictures.

http://rodneydickman.com/ca....php?products_id=139

[This message has been edited by USMUCL (edited 10-09-2019).]

Mike in Sydney

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-09-2019 06:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mike in SydneySend a Private Message to Mike in SydneyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The pulse board in in the front compartment to the left of brake booster (looking from the front to the rear). You can get them from TFS. I believe they are also interchangeable with other GM models.

Does the washer work? Mine stopped and I traced the problem to a faulty switch in the the column but it could be the combination switch (turn, cruise, wipers). Replacements are available .

------------------
Mike in Sydney

David Riedle

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-09-2019 08:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for David RiedleSend a Private Message to David RiedleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well, that certainly would explain why I could not find it under the dashboard...

A friend of mine is an automotive journalist, and he is doing an article on touch up paint called "Chipex". I will look under the front compartment tomorrow before I go.

David Riedle
fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post10-09-2019 09:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
There is a single screw that holds the cover on the wiper motor. Remove that screw and cover and the board is exposed.
Rodrv6

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 76
Rate this member

Report this Post10-10-2019 09:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Rodrv6Send a Private Message to Rodrv6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierofool:

There is a single screw that holds the cover on the wiper motor. Remove that screw and cover and the board is exposed.

Except, this is an 84 model, and it's different. There is no delay circuit board in the wiper motor on the 84's. It is a module located on a bracket to the right of the steering column under the dash. If the wipers are not working, the plugs can be removed from the module and plugged together, which bypasses the module. This is one of a number of "84 only" items on these cars. (Another one is the cruise control electronics--on the 84 only, they are integrated into the instrument cluster, not a separate module like the 86-88's.....)

------------------
Rod Schneider, Ball Ground, Ga.
"You can't have too many toys!"
1988 Fiero GT
1988 Porsche 928S4
1987 Corvette
2016 Mustang EcoBoost
Van's RV-6 airplane

fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post10-10-2019 10:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks, Rod. Obviously I never knew that. I did know the cruise on the 84 was different but didn't know how.

I don't want to hijack the thread so just a Yes or No will suffice, but is there any difference in the 84 motor that's controlled by a remote module and the later year motors that didn't have intermittent wipers? I have several I'd like to dispose of.
USMUCL

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-10-2019 11:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for USMUCLSend a Private Message to USMUCLEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Rodrv6:

Except, this is an 84 model, and it's different. There is no delay circuit board in the wiper motor on the 84's. It is a module located on a bracket to the right of the steering column under the dash. If the wipers are not working, the plugs can be removed from the module and plugged together, which bypasses the module. This is one of a number of "84 only" items on these cars. (Another one is the cruise control electronics--on the 84 only, they are integrated into the instrument cluster, not a separate module like the 86-88's.....)

This is outstanding info. Thanks for the school'in'

Rodrv6

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 76
Rate this member

Report this Post10-10-2019 12:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rodrv6Send a Private Message to Rodrv6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierofool:

I don't want to hijack the thread so just a Yes or No will suffice, but is there any difference in the 84 motor that's controlled by a remote module and the later year motors that didn't have intermittent wipers? I have several I'd like to dispose of.

To be honest, I don't know........

------------------
Rod Schneider, Ball Ground, Ga.
"You can't have too many toys!"
1988 Fiero GT
1988 Porsche 928S4
1987 Corvette
2016 Mustang EcoBoost
Van's RV-6 airplane

longjonsilver

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-12-2019 06:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for longjonsilverClick Here to visit longjonsilver's HomePageSend a Private Message to longjonsilverEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Rodrv6:

This is correct. i have an 84 and my intermittent wipers don't work, so i pulled a board out of another 84 in the scrap and its intermittent wipers don't work either. i have been told that the problems is the condensers, and do i bot condensers for both modules, and plan on soldering them in this winter. And yes, they have a heat sink in the board.
Remember guys, lots of stuff is different in the 84s for better or worse.
jon

------------------
Astronomy says we will find a coded signal from outer space. Then we'll KNOW that life exists there, for coded signals aren't by chance.

Biology says there are coded genetic signals in every cell, but we KNOW that no intelligence created life.

I'm the original owner of a white ' 84 2M4 purchased Dec 10, 1983 from Pontiac. Always garaged, no rust, 4-wheel drifts are fun!

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock