Started on: 10-07-2019 05:51 PM
Replies: 5 (133 views)
Last post by: theogre on 10-16-2019 12:15 PM
Mickey_Moose

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 141
Rate this member

Report this Post10-07-2019 05:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mickey_MooseClick Here to visit Mickey_Moose's HomePageClick Here to Email Mickey_MooseSend a Private Message to Mickey_MooseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Ok, this is odd:

I can drive it all day long without the code popping up, but as soon as I turn the AC on it will throw the code within a minute or 2.

Only started doing that this year, no vacuum leaks I can find, EGR valve is working (put a new on on just in case), EGR solenoid also working as it should (bench tested - vacuum applied switch closes).

Any ideals?

(88GT, 3.4l crate engine swap several years ago, auto, AC switched over to 134A 4 years ago).

Edit to add: I will on occasion get a code 44 as well, but I am sure it is related.

[This message has been edited by Mickey_Moose (edited 10-07-2019).]

IP: Logged

82-T/A [At Work]

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 182
Rate this member

Report this Post10-09-2019 11:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Mickey_Moose:

Ok, this is odd:

I can drive it all day long without the code popping up, but as soon as I turn the AC on it will throw the code within a minute or 2.

Only started doing that this year, no vacuum leaks I can find, EGR valve is working (put a new on on just in case), EGR solenoid also working as it should (bench tested - vacuum applied switch closes).

Any ideals?

(88GT, 3.4l crate engine swap several years ago, auto, AC switched over to 134A 4 years ago).

Edit to add: I will on occasion get a code 44 as well, but I am sure it is related.

So, for those who haven't memorized it, 32 is EGR, and 44 is Lean Exhaust.

It IS possible for the O2 sensor to begin to fail, and not /also/ get a Code 13; however, my thought could be the Vacuum Solenoid. For the life of me, I can't remember where that's located as it's been a decade since I last looked at my Fiero's motor... but I know that typically caused some of the problems for me that you're experiencing now.

Mickey_Moose

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 141
Rate this member

Report this Post10-15-2019 03:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mickey_MooseClick Here to visit Mickey_Moose's HomePageClick Here to Email Mickey_MooseSend a Private Message to Mickey_MooseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 82-T/A [At Work]:
So, for those who haven't memorized it, 32 is EGR, and 44 is Lean Exhaust.

It IS possible for the O2 sensor to begin to fail, and not /also/ get a Code 13; however, my thought could be the Vacuum Solenoid. For the life of me, I can't remember where that's located as it's been a decade since I last looked at my Fiero's motor... but I know that typically caused some of the problems for me that you're experiencing now.

Ok, my bad for not including what the codes are for, thank you for adding that.

Vacuum solenoid - are you referring to the one that controls the EGR valve? What has me stumped is why it only throws the code when the AC is turned on (unless I have a short in the wiring that is drawing down the power to the solenoid)?

Gall757

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 86
Rate this member

Report this Post10-15-2019 04:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

You don't have a short, but I bet you have corrosion in a connector. The added load of the A/C may be enough to lower your system voltage. How old is your battery?

Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 435
Rate this member

Report this Post10-15-2019 04:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickClick Here to Email PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 82-T/A [At Work]:

So, for those who haven't memorized it...

Heh heh, it always irks me when people post just the code number(s)... and then all the rest of us reading the post are forced to go Here to look up what the heck the numbers mean. Such a time waster!

Originally posted by Mickey_Moose:

Ok, my bad for not including what the codes are for, thank you for adding that.

Just don't do it again, eh!

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 10-15-2019).]

theogre

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 543
Rate this member

Report this Post10-16-2019 12:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

AC is a heavy amp draw when the compressor in on.
I would check most wiring in the engine bay including clean/fix all ground points.
See my Cave, Wire Service and rest of section.

Check volts out from alt when engine runs at output on alt AND red wire to Alt side plug then at batter and + block under C500. All should be very =.
Turn on AC, Headlight, etc, and check again. One at a time then more at a time turned on.
Good alt should be ~ 14.7v but iffy wiring can cut that volts big time in a lot of places.
Example: Most Fiero have wiring problems to front then wonder why HL are dim, cooked relays, slow/dead motors, etc. Why? See my Cave, Electric Motors
Front wiring often drops ~ 1v even when everything is good. Just 1 crap connection can easily eat 1-3V more so might get 14.6v in the rear and front only gets 10v or less. Big ones are HL and HL Dimmer switches have crap connection(s) and even they get hot, even cooked, because of contact resistance.

Yes, Check all parts getting vacuum and EGR parts.
Then check O2 sensor and wiring.
Then check exhaust for leaks upstream of O2 sensor.
44 is ECM is ADDING fuel to the max and still have problems trying to get fuel right. (45 does exact opposite Cutting fuel and still think is too rich.)
Vac leaks, exhaust leaks and/or O2 can cause 44.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock