Click here to visit the donation page | View all sponsors
  Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  Awww!!! Crankshaft balancer removal... is there really no tool for this

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Awww!!! Crankshaft balancer removal... is there really no tool for this by ttt123
Started on: 10-07-2019 02:03 PM
Replies: 9 (118 views)
Last post by: ttt123 on 10-07-2019 05:25 PM
ttt123

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-07-2019 02:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ttt123Click Here to visit ttt123's HomePageClick Here to Email ttt123Send a Private Message to ttt123Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Trying not to throw the hammer. Only vid or help i seen on youtube was two pry bars... is that really the only way to get the harmonic balancer off? Does anyone know of a less destructive way ?

Please advise

Thanks guys

IP: Logged

olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 181
Rate this member

Report this Post10-07-2019 02:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadClick Here to Email olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Gee, how about a harmonic balancer puller?

The GM P/N for what they recommend is J23523

Be sure when using a puller to NOT pull on the outside ring.

Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 315
Rate this member

Report this Post10-07-2019 02:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaClick Here to Email Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Do not use pry bars. Use only a harmonic balancer puller that is specially designed for the job. Many national auto chains like Autozone loan the tools for free..

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Spintech/Hedman Exhaust, P-log Manifold, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, Champion Radiator, S10 Brake Booster, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

fierosound

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 276
Rate this member

Report this Post10-07-2019 02:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageClick Here to Email fierosoundSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Dennis LaGrua:

Many national auto chains like Autozone loan the tools for free..

------------------
My World of Wheels Winners (Click on links below)

3.4L Supercharged 87 GT and Super Duty 4 Indy #163

ttt123

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-07-2019 02:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ttt123Click Here to visit ttt123's HomePageClick Here to Email ttt123Send a Private Message to ttt123Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I will buy the tool if i can find it. I have two pullers and neither of them work. Parts store said they didnt have one or know of that one... what am i missing? Don’t doubt its me but what lol

Im an idiot!! Forgot to mention this is for the 3800sc series 2 motor

Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 435
Rate this member

Report this Post10-07-2019 02:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickClick Here to Email PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by ttt123:

Only vid or help i seen on youtube was two pry bars...

Found this image online which is similar to the type of puller I use/have.

ttt123

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-07-2019 02:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ttt123Click Here to visit ttt123's HomePageClick Here to Email ttt123Send a Private Message to ttt123Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

3800sc series 2

cvxjet

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-07-2019 04:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cvxjetClick Here to Email cvxjetSend a Private Message to cvxjetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

The O'Reilly's in your area should have them- order/Buy them for $22(PN; W151P) or possibly rent one from them (They actually only charge a deposit- them you get it back)

You may have to get a short bolt to fit between the frame and the balancer- You can use a washer or two to adapt it.

I would call the different O'Reilly's to see which one has one for loan.....

Fiero38SC

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-07-2019 05:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero38SCClick Here to Email Fiero38SCSend a Private Message to Fiero38SCEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Also, a good dose of penetrating oil between the pulley and crank (after you remove the center bolt) will work wonders. PB Blaster or equal.

ttt123

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-07-2019 05:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ttt123Click Here to visit ttt123's HomePageClick Here to Email ttt123Send a Private Message to ttt123Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Yay!! I just got it off. So those tiny little holes lead to some 6mm screw holes way down deep. Went up and bought some and used my puller. Thanks guys and sorry for the pointless thread. I do appreciate the input, these forums make backyard wrenching so much easier now.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock