Started on: 10-07-2019 09:10 AM
Replies: 10 (534 views)
Last post by: lou_dias on 10-10-2019 10:30 AM
lou_dias

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 67
Rate this member

Report this Post10-07-2019 09:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for lou_diasSend a Private Message to lou_diasEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Does anyone have any pics of these? I'm looking for a more heavy duty rear spindle that will allow me to use a larger wheel bear.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
fierosound

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post10-07-2019 10:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
From: https://www.fiero.nl/cgi-bin...ad=20040710-2-047965

Left is 6000 knuckle, right is Fiero...

------------------
My World of Wheels Winners (Click on links below)

3.4L Supercharged 87 GT and Super Duty 4 Indy #163

lou_dias

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-07-2019 01:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lou_diasSend a Private Message to lou_diasEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I haven't studied the spindles but are 88 and 87 spindles the same? Also what year 6000?
olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post10-07-2019 02:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
No, 87 and 88 knuckles are quite different.
lou_dias

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-07-2019 02:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lou_diasSend a Private Message to lou_diasEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by olejoedad:

No, 87 and 88 knuckles are quite different.

Is there anything compatible with pre-88? Or close at least...
Will

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 237
Rate this member

Report this Post10-08-2019 09:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Pontiac 6000 (and Chevy Celebrity, Olds Ciera & Buick Century) with JA2 brake package have 5x115 hub cartridges and are a bolt-in swap for '84-'87 Fiero parts. The rotors are ~10.25 x 1 vented.
They include larger 27 spline outer CV joints that plug right onto the stock Fiero manual transmission axles. They use the same ball joint and tie rod end as the '84-'87 Fiero.

Pontiac TransSport (and the other dustbuster minivans: Chevy Lumina APV, Olds Silhouette) with the 3.8 V6 in the '94-'95 years have similar knuckles, but use larger 33 spline outer CV joints as well as larger ball joints which still bolt to the Fiero control arms. The rotors are 11x1.25. This hub/brake/CV combo was used extensively across GM's large front wheel drive car line. These applications use the same front brakes as the '90's LT1 Camaro.
Because of the 33 spline outer CV's, C7 Corvette wheel bearings will fit these knuckles, although the threads have to be drilled out of the hub cartridge mounting holes and the backs of the holes spot-faced for bolt heads.

[This message has been edited by Will (edited 10-08-2019).]

olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post10-08-2019 01:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the information Will, it is very good!
82-T/A [At Work]

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 198
Rate this member

Report this Post10-09-2019 03:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Will:

Pontiac 6000 (and Chevy Celebrity, Olds Ciera & Buick Century) with JA2 brake package have 5x115 hub cartridges and are a bolt-in swap for '84-'87 Fiero parts. The rotors are ~10.25 x 1 vented.
They include larger 27 spline outer CV joints that plug right onto the stock Fiero manual transmission axles. They use the same ball joint and tie rod end as the '84-'87 Fiero.

Oh **** ... glad I clicked this link. This is excellent information.

I want to make sure I understand correctly. Since the rear suspension of the Fiero is actually the front suspension (more or less) of other cars, I can get the JA2 (I recall hearing about this years ago) package from say, an Olds Cutlass Sierra, and install that in the rear on my 87 Fiero?

Before I put my Fiero away in storage, I rebuilt the entire front end and went with the Grand Am slotted / cross-drilled rotor package with the larger calipers, and even the so called "big bore" brake master cyl that everyone was doing back in the day. It's all rebuilt, sitting in storage.

I haven't done the rear of the car yet, but I am collecting the parts. I was planning on just re-using the old rear disk brake configuration (though, everything is new). What "parts" do I need to get for the whole swap? As a reference, the car will be a 5-Speed manual.

So, is all I need from a JA2 is:
- Steering Knuckle (front of Cutlass Ciera for my rear)
- Wheel Hub + Bearing
- Brake Rotor
- Special Half-shaft? (can you explain this? Do I need one side from the Fiero, and another side from the Cutlass Ciera?)
- Anything else?

Thanks!!!
Will

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 237
Rate this member

Report this Post10-09-2019 04:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 82-T/A [At Work]:

Oh **** ... glad I clicked this link. This is excellent information.

I want to make sure I understand correctly. Since the rear suspension of the Fiero is actually the front suspension (more or less) of other cars, I can get the JA2 (I recall hearing about this years ago) package from say, an Olds Cutlass Sierra, and install that in the rear on my 87 Fiero?

Before I put my Fiero away in storage, I rebuilt the entire front end and went with the Grand Am slotted / cross-drilled rotor package with the larger calipers, and even the so called "big bore" brake master cyl that everyone was doing back in the day. It's all rebuilt, sitting in storage.

I haven't done the rear of the car yet, but I am collecting the parts. I was planning on just re-using the old rear disk brake configuration (though, everything is new). What "parts" do I need to get for the whole swap? As a reference, the car will be a 5-Speed manual.

So, is all I need from a JA2 is:
- Steering Knuckle (front of Cutlass Ciera for my rear)
- Wheel Hub + Bearing
- Brake Rotor
- Special Half-shaft? (can you explain this? Do I need one side from the Fiero, and another side from the Cutlass Ciera?)
- Anything else?

http://www.pontiacperforman...ont_Finished_lrg.jpg

Thanks!!!

You'll need to grab the axles and calipers from the donor car (or get new calipers). You'll need to swap the outer CV joints from the donor axles onto your Fiero stickshift axles. The Fiero automatic axles are smaller; I don't know what combo makes them work.

I can tell you from experience that the Beretta front brakes with A-body rear brakes is a bad combo. You *CAN* swap ends by stabbing the brakes hard in the wet. If you do the A-body swap in the rear, go all the way to 11.25" front brakes as well.
I haven't run the numbers, but the 11.25" fronts should be reasonably close to the Dustbuster minivan 11" brakes on the rear as well.

Actually, I just looked it up on RockAuto... The calipers used with the 11.25" front rotors have 63.5mm pistons, and the Dustbuster minivan calipers also have 63.5mm pistons. The Dustbuster front brakes in the rear with the usual 11.25" brakes on the front means a "square" brake setup, which is great for the Fiero.

Caveat: Using front brakes on the rear means you lose your parking brake.

[This message has been edited by Will (edited 10-09-2019).]

82-T/A [At Work]

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 198
Rate this member

Report this Post10-09-2019 11:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Will:

You'll need to grab the axles and calipers from the donor car (or get new calipers). You'll need to swap the outer CV joints from the donor axles onto your Fiero stickshift axles. The Fiero automatic axles are smaller; I don't know what combo makes them work.

I can tell you from experience that the Beretta front brakes with A-body rear brakes is a bad combo. You *CAN* swap ends by stabbing the brakes hard in the wet. If you do the A-body swap in the rear, go all the way to 11.25" front brakes as well.
I haven't run the numbers, but the 11.25" fronts should be reasonably close to the Dustbuster minivan 11" brakes on the rear as well.

Actually, I just looked it up on RockAuto... The calipers used with the 11.25" front rotors have 63.5mm pistons, and the Dustbuster minivan calipers also have 63.5mm pistons. The Dustbuster front brakes in the rear with the usual 11.25" brakes on the front means a "square" brake setup, which is great for the Fiero.

Caveat: Using front brakes on the rear means you lose your parking brake.

Ahh.... ok, thank you for mentioning that. I failed to ask that, but it was a concern of mine. I've always preferred substantially more forward-brake bias (more so than stock). So I'll stick with the factory rear brakes. I do have the Beretta / Grand Am brakes in the front, so I definitely don't want a situation where the rears have too much bias. I'm not sure the rears experience any real brake fade anyway. It was an issue for me on the fronts, which is why I went with the larger brake kit in the first place.

Thanks!
lou_dias

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-10-2019 10:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for lou_diasSend a Private Message to lou_diasEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks Will !!!

Luckily for me this is for my race car and I don't have a park brake.
PFF
System Bot

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock