87 Fiero AC stays on by svocal
Started on: 10-04-2019 02:19 PM
Replies: 24 (344 views)
Last post by: svocal on 10-11-2019 05:57 AM
svocal

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-04-2019 02:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for svocalSend a Private Message to svocalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Guys...
I need your help on this one. As soon as i turn on the ignition, the AC turns on. Even in the off positions, it stays on.

1. How can I disable it temporarily? fuse breaker? which one is it?
2. Where should i check to find the root of the problem?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post10-04-2019 03:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I would suspect that the relay for the clutch is stuck in the ON position.
The relay is located in the engine compartment, to the left of the driver side hinge box.
There are two relays there, the one with the ORANGE wires id for the fuel pump, the other one is for the A/C clutch.
Disconnect the plug to the relay and please report back.
svocal

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-04-2019 11:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for svocalSend a Private Message to svocalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I disconnected the relay you suggested, but the AC still turns on. I even disconnected the other relay just for giggles. The same result.
Any other suggestions?

Originally posted by olejoedad:

I would suspect that the relay for the clutch is stuck in the ON position.
The relay is located in the engine compartment, to the left of the driver side hinge box.
There are two relays there, the one with the ORANGE wires id for the fuel pump, the other one is for the A/C clutch.
Disconnect the plug to the relay and please report back.

msweldon

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-05-2019 12:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for msweldonSend a Private Message to msweldonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It may stay on but does it ever cycle on its own?

Does the ac run when the clutch connector is pulled?

svocal

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-05-2019 12:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for svocalSend a Private Message to svocalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yes..As soon as i turn the ignition key, it just starts blowing air. Even after I disconnect the relay.
[

QUOTE]Originally posted by msweldon:

It may stay on but does it ever cycle on its own?

Does the ac run when the clutch connector is pulled?

[/QUOTE]

Rexgirl

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-05-2019 03:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RexgirlSend a Private Message to RexgirlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If you mean the cabin FAN runs all the time, that is normal.
olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post10-05-2019 07:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So it blows cold air all the time?
Do you hear the compressor clutch engage and disengage? (Clicking sound and engine rpm pulls down and then recovers)
svocal

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-06-2019 07:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for svocalSend a Private Message to svocalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Update....
After reconnecting and disconnecting the relays a few times.... The AC no longer blows cold air.
However as soon as I turn the ignition key in the "on position" but with the engine off....i hear a motor sound(underneath the dash or in the front hood compartment) kick in. It stays on and i can feel air passing thru and under the dash. I check the front compartment and see that the radiator fan is on, but what else could be blowing the air?

Originally posted by olejoedad:

So it blows cold air all the time?
Do you hear the compressor clutch engage and disengage? (Clicking sound and engine rpm pulls down and then recovers)

Patrick

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post10-06-2019 08:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by svocal:

...as soon as I turn the ignition key in the "on position" but with the engine off....i hear a motor sound(underneath the dash or in the front hood compartment) kick in. It stays on and i can feel air passing thru and under the dash. I check the front compartment and see that the radiator fan is on, but what else could be blowing the air?

There's a blower of course for the heater and A/C... but as long as the OFF button has been pushed in all the way, there should be no fan blowing anywhere. (The rad fan should only turn on if the coolant temp has reached 235°F.)

svocal

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-06-2019 09:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for svocalSend a Private Message to svocalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The OFF button is pushed in all the way. Motor still kicks in.
How do I disconnect the blower motor?

Originally posted by Patrick:

There's a blower of course for the heater and A/C... but as long as the OFF button has been pushed in all the way, there should be no fan blowing anywhere. (The rad fan should only turn on if the coolant temp has reached 235°F.)

Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-06-2019 09:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

How do I disconnect the blower motor?

Open the hood... and you're looking right at the blower!

PFF
System Bot
svocal

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-06-2019 11:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for svocalSend a Private Message to svocalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Issue resolved.
Thanks to olejoedad and patrick for the suggestions.
Found that the radiator fan and poorly insulated cabin was the culprit. The radiator fan was blowing air into the cabin.
I disconnected the radiator fan to find the issue.
However....I do hear a low fan noise in the engine compartment when the key is on but engine is off.
Amy ideas?
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-07-2019 12:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

However....I do hear a low fan noise in the engine compartment when the key is on but engine is off.

This is why it's helpful to supply a few details about your Fiero. Yes, it's an '87... but what engine does it have? I'll have to assume it's a 2.8 V6... in which case you must be hearing the trunk blower. It's on the same circuit as your rad fan. You'll need to determine why that circuit is live when the engine is cold. Detach the single wire from the fan switch on the engine and see if the trunk blower stops.
msweldon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-07-2019 02:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for msweldonSend a Private Message to msweldonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:

This is why it's helpful to supply a few details about your Fiero. Yes, it's an '87... but what engine does it have? I'll have to assume it's a 2.8 V6... in which case you must be hearing the trunk blower. It's on the same circuit as your rad fan. You'll need to determine why that circuit is live when the engine is cold. Detach the single wire from the fan switch on the engine and see if the trunk blower stops.

Patrick, correct me if I'm wrong but 87 2.8's did not have a blower fan in the trunk, only the 86, and maybe prior. My 87 GT did not have a blower fan but the 86 GT did..

Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-07-2019 02:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by msweldon:

Patrick, correct me if I'm wrong...

Okay... you're wrong.

88's were the only year that 2.8 Fieros didn't come from the factory with a trunk blower.

My 87 GT did not have a blower fan...

If it was indeed an '87 with a 2.8, then either the trunk blower (and associated ductwork) was removed... or your GT started life as a 4-banger.

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 10-07-2019).]

David Hambleton

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-07-2019 10:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for David HambletonSend a Private Message to David HambletonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

The radiator fan was blowing air into the cabin.

I'm confused. How could that happen? The front trunk is in the way.

svocal

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-07-2019 11:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for svocalSend a Private Message to svocalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Apparently the trunk as modified which explained a few items.

Originally posted by David Hambleton:

I'm confused. How could that happen? The front trunk is in the way.

msweldon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-08-2019 08:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for msweldonSend a Private Message to msweldonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Patrick,

I stand corrected... I pulled the engine, front crossmember, and refreshed entire suspension on my old 87GT and never pulled back the trunk carpet to notice the fan... Just looked up the fan...87 2.8's had them indeed....
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-08-2019 08:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

...never pulled back the trunk carpet to notice the fan

Okay... but you never noticed the blower tubes?

da.slyboy

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-09-2019 12:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for da.slyboySend a Private Message to da.slyboyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Found that the radiator fan and poorly insulated cabin was the culprit. The radiator fan was blowing air into the cabin.

I think it would be interesting to post of picture of your front trunk area as I'm really confused on how the rad fan was blowing a very noticeable amount of cold air into the main cabin. Also wouldn't it start being warm air when the engine got to temp?

TXGOOD

Feedback score:    (58)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 87
Rate this member

Report this Post10-09-2019 02:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TXGOODClick Here to visit TXGOOD's HomePageSend a Private Message to TXGOODEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
As far as your radiator fan turning on with the ignition that will happen if someone
installed new switches on the AC compressor and grounded them, which is what the instructions tell you to do.
I forgot, the last time I installed new switches and now my fan is on all of the time with the ignition on.
I need to clip the ground wires going to them.
PFF
System Bot
svocal

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-09-2019 11:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for svocalSend a Private Message to svocalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the info. I personally prefer to always have the fan on.

Originally posted by TXGOOD:

As far as your radiator fan turning on with the ignition that will happen if someone
installed new switches on the AC compressor and grounded them, which is what the instructions tell you to do.
I forgot, the last time I installed new switches and now my fan is on all of the time with the ignition on.
I need to clip the ground wires going to them.

svocal

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-10-2019 12:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for svocalSend a Private Message to svocalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The previous owner did some modification to the trunk area when building the replica. Note sure how to upload pics on this forum?

Originally posted by da.slyboy:

I think it would be interesting to post of picture of your front trunk area as I'm really confused on how the rad fan was blowing a very noticeable amount of cold air into the main cabin. Also wouldn't it start being warm air when the engine got to temp?

Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-10-2019 03:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Note sure how to upload pics on this forum?

If you're running a Windows PC, download and install PIP to host and post images here. Max width - 1024 pixels. Max file size - 300 kb.
svocal

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-11-2019 05:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for svocalSend a Private Message to svocalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Here is the pic of the trunk area. As i mentioned the previous owner made some modifications to it.

The previous owner did some modification to the trunk area when building the replica. Note sure how to upload pics on this forum?

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock