Rear Hubs and half shaft noise? by cvxjet
Started on: 09-30-2019 11:44 PM
Replies: 4 (215 views)
Last post by: Kevin87FieroGT on 10-02-2019 09:02 PM
cvxjet

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-30-2019 11:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cvxjetSend a Private Message to cvxjetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have owned this 85 SE V6 since new- so I have noone but myself to blame!

Lately, I have had some rattling clunking when either going over bumps or when changing gears or throttle settings from the right rear wheel. I have gone over everything - no loose bolts on the suspension, the subframe, etc...Have recently installed new Koni struts (Did not change the noise)...Checked the brake caliper and the stabilizer bar/mount....When I kick the wheel/tire I sometimes get a clunk but can't feel any real looseness in the wheel.....

What kind of sounds do you get when the bearing/hub is going bad? And how about the CV joints/half shafts?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Mike in Sydney

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-01-2019 02:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Mike in SydneySend a Private Message to Mike in SydneyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I suspect the CV joint is going. Bearings tend to growl or whine. Sometimes you can check them by jacking the car up and grabbing the tyre and giving in a shake. Any play in wheel bearings should be felt. CV joints are more prone to "clunking" when they are failing. Are your CV joint boots split, cracked, torn or missing.?

------------------
Mike in Sydney

theogre

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post10-01-2019 01:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Front wheel bearings and OE Hubs Are Not Preloaded and have a little play normally.

Jack the rear and put in neutral.
Slowly rotate a wheel by hand and keep hand/fingers on it as much as possible to feel as you rotate. Listen carefully too.
Iffy hubs often click/pop as you rotate.
Do both sides! have help to sure both wheel don't rotate at same time.

Make sure you don't have pad dragging or other brake issues making noise. Many are missing or damage the rear inner pad clip and can alone make noise problems.

Hitting/kicking a wheel means little but not nothing...
The play can allow noise when turning or hitting when two things parts hit.
example: Rotor(s) hitting the dirt shield is common for 2 main reasons...
Some rotor replacements do this because rotor does not have proper clearance for the shield.
Someone/thing bent the shield and doesn't have clearance.
Pull rotor and look at both. Where the parts hit often have rust remove there to slow you.

See my Cave, Axle and Front Bearings

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave

cvxjet

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-02-2019 02:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cvxjetSend a Private Message to cvxjetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I may have some growling while driving- hard to hear (Jet aircraft and helos over a 35 year career).

The boots are in good shape- that is why I did not think about them so much.....I have a 3.4 F-body conversion w/Getrag 5 spd- there is more strain on the CV joints than normal....Any suggestions as far as which axle and or bearing to buy? I checked on Summit and both Raybestos and Moog make hub/bearings for the rear of the Fiero.
Kevin87FieroGT

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-02-2019 09:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Kevin87FieroGTSend a Private Message to Kevin87FieroGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Can’t help with the axles. However, Moog makes a great replacement rear hub for the 86-87’s, and probably others. I purchased some from Rock Auto at a fair price. They have run very well, no issues over 7-10,000 mi. Just install the new ones as per the instructions included or use the factory service manual. Correct torque is the key for long lasting hubs. You’ll need an approx 200 ftlb torque wrench, can be rented at parts store.

If your noticing rear noise during turns it’s most likely the hubs.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock