4.9 with MSD 6AL spark plug gap by falcon_ca
Started on: 09-23-2019 09:29 AM
Replies: 18 (391 views)
Last post by: fierosound on 09-25-2019 12:10 PM
falcon_ca

Feedback score:    (26)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-23-2019 09:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for falcon_caSend a Private Message to falcon_caEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I read somewhere that for better performance when a MSD 6AL module is installed in a 4.9 setup, the gap of the the spark plugs better be readjusted.

Can't remember the thread.

Anybody knows ?

------------------
"I'm not driving too fast, . . . I'm just flying too low."

Work done 07-08 | Work done 08-09 | Work done 09-10 | Work done 10-11 | Work done 11-12 | Work done 12-13 | Work done 13-14 | Work done 15-16 | Work done 16-17 |4.9 Swap |

[This message has been edited by falcon_ca (edited 09-24-2019).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Johns 4.9

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-23-2019 12:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Johns 4.9Click Here to visit Johns 4.9's HomePageSend a Private Message to Johns 4.9Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Doesn't the ECM control the distributor functions of the 4.9 Cadillac engine?
Cheers
falcon_ca

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-23-2019 01:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for falcon_caSend a Private Message to falcon_caEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Johns 4.9:

Doesn't the ECM control the distributor functions of the 4.9 Cadillac engine?
Cheers

Yes, but the MSD manage the multiple spark things

------------------

Work done 07-08 | Work done 08-09 | Work done 09-10 | Work done 10-11 | Work done 11-12 | Work done 12-13 | Work done 13-14 | Work done 15-16 | Work done 16-17 |4.9 Swap |

claude dalpe

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-23-2019 01:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for claude dalpeSend a Private Message to claude dalpeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Spark plugs of a 4.9L Cadillac already have a gap to .060 "/1.5mm.

Even if the MSD gives a multiple spark and More ignition power

I do not think it needs to go over the Gap of .060 "/1.5mm
falcon_ca

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-23-2019 01:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for falcon_caSend a Private Message to falcon_caEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by claude dalpe:

Spark plugs of a 4.9L Cadillac already have a gap to .060 "/1.5mm.

Even if the MSD gives a multiple spark and More ignition power

I do not think it needs to go over the Gap of .060 "/1.5mm

This is not what I read in the the thread I am looking for.
Spadesluck

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-23-2019 06:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SpadesluckSend a Private Message to SpadesluckEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
First, just run the car with the gap set to what the manual says. See what it does after a few hundred miles. Then check the plugs and re-gap if needed.

Additionally let us know how the MSD 6AL works for this motor. See any improvement in its driving characteristics?
claude dalpe

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-23-2019 06:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for claude dalpeSend a Private Message to claude dalpeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Explain what you read in this thread Share with us it can be useful.
falcon_ca

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-23-2019 07:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for falcon_caSend a Private Message to falcon_caEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Spadesluck:

First, just run the car with the gap set to what the manual says. See what it does after a few hundred miles. Then check the plugs and re-gap if needed.

Additionally let us know how the MSD 6AL works for this motor. See any improvement in its driving characteristics?

There is a thread somewhere in PFF where somebody already done that. This is what I am trying to find,

------------------

falcon_ca

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-23-2019 07:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for falcon_caSend a Private Message to falcon_caEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

falcon_ca

1291 posts
Member since Dec 2007

Explain what you read in this thread Share with us it can be useful.

Somebody already made tests and identify what is the best spark plugs gap when you install a MSD 6A or 6AL module on a 4.9 swap.

This is documented somewhere in a thread here in PFF and I can't recall the thread name. If I am looking for that thread to find back the correct information.

------------------

pmbrunelle

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post09-23-2019 09:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pmbrunelleSend a Private Message to pmbrunelleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Here is my understanding of the effects of wrong spark plug gaps:

If a spark plug gap is too small, the electrical spark can fail to ignite the mixture if the spark happens to be in a locally fuel-lean zone. Also, the metal mass of the electrodes surrounding the flame kernel can quench the fire and prevent the fire from spreading in the cylinder. These problems are more likely to occur at low load / idle.

If a spark plug gap is too large, the voltage available from the ignition system may not be sufficient to cause an electrical breakdown in the compressed air/fuel mixture. If there is no breakdown, there is no spark, and you have a misfire. This problem is most apparent at high load / WOT.

If you have no misfires, then your ignition system is doing its job, and there is no room to improve the engine's performance.

There is no need to modify the gaps if your engine runs OK the way it is now.
falcon_ca

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-23-2019 09:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for falcon_caSend a Private Message to falcon_caEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by pmbrunelle:

Here is my understanding of the effects of wrong spark plug gaps:

If a spark plug gap is too small, the electrical spark can fail to ignite the mixture if the spark happens to be in a locally fuel-lean zone. Also, the metal mass of the electrodes surrounding the flame kernel can quench the fire and prevent the fire from spreading in the cylinder. These problems are more likely to occur at low load / idle.

If a spark plug gap is too large, the voltage available from the ignition system may not be sufficient to cause an electrical breakdown in the compressed air/fuel mixture. If there is no breakdown, there is no spark, and you have a misfire. This problem is most apparent at high load / WOT.

If you have no misfires, then your ignition system is doing its job, and there is no room to improve the engine's performance.

There is no need to modify the gaps if your engine runs OK the way it is now.

What is your experience with MSD 6AL and Cadillac 4.9 swap? As far as I know you don't have any.

The guy who wrote the thread I am trying to find back have the experience and have done the tests to determine the optimum spark plugs gap for this setup.

I have never complained about misfire or any other problem , I just simply want to retreive a old thread.

------------------

[This message has been edited by falcon_ca (edited 09-23-2019).]

PFF
System Bot
pmbrunelle

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post09-23-2019 09:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pmbrunelleSend a Private Message to pmbrunelleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by falcon_ca:
What is your experience with MSD 6AL and Cadillac 4.9 swap? As far as I know you don't have any.

Zero experience with that setup.

When I do problem-solving, I like to return to first principles. In this case, you are asking about the required gap for a spark plug.

The application-specific details (4.9 engine, MSD box) become unimportant when the first principles are understood.
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post09-24-2019 01:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have used MSD 6A ignition boxes on two different cars. I do not believe that an increase or decrease in the spark plug gap provided any benefit. While I have yet to install on one my 4.9L swap, my experience shows that the engine runs smoother with more economy below 3000 RPM's. Above that RPM I can't say that we saw any benefit as the unit could not generate multiple sparks as there was not sufficient time to fire them. The item that is holding me back from installing the MSD 6A on my 4.9L is that those boxes need to be put in a cool location with good air flow over them. With a 4.9L swap there aren't many cool places in the engine compartment.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Spintech/Hedman Exhaust, P-log Manifold, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, Champion Radiator, S10 Brake Booster, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

falcon_ca

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-24-2019 02:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for falcon_caSend a Private Message to falcon_caEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by pmbrunelle:

...When I do problem-solving, I like to return to first principles. In this case, you are asking about the required gap for a spark plug....

Please read what I wrote before. I am not looking to solve any problem, and I did not ask about any required gap.

I am just trying to find an old thread where the author was talking about his experience with that setup.

claude dalpe

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-24-2019 03:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for claude dalpeSend a Private Message to claude dalpeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

This is not what I read in the the thread I am looking for.

You said this is not what I read in the thread
Me I said : Explain what you read in this thread Share with us it can be useful.
Where is your answer !
if you can't say nothing on your memory thread. How you can affirm what we say is no good
We try to help you
falcon_ca

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-24-2019 04:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for falcon_caSend a Private Message to falcon_caEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

You said this is not what I read in the thread
Me I said : Explain what you read in this thread Share with us it can be useful.
Where is your answer !
if you can't say nothing on your memory thread. How you can affirm what we say is no good
We try to help you

Claude, my answer is in the thread I am looking for. The thing I remember is what I am writing since the beginning of my thread, after installing a MSD module, done many tests, he adjust the spark plug gap, and had better performance. I am looking for that thread to re-read all that and review in details what have bee tested.
You wrote that changing the gap will not help in anything, and yes, this is not what I read in that thread

pmbrunelle is talking about solving problems. I am not looking to solve problems, I am trying to retreive a specific thread that I can't easily found with the search engine

claude dalpe

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-24-2019 04:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for claude dalpeSend a Private Message to claude dalpeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Let us know when you find it
Good luck
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post09-24-2019 11:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
IMO anything more than the GM recommended .060" will not give a positive result. With the compression and RPM range that this engine is operated at, GM specified a wide gap that is designed for this engine. Too wide or too narrow a gap and the plug wont fire correctly. GM HEI ignitions already provide a hot spark The MSG will just fire the plug about three times but only up to 3000 RPM's. Beyond that the time is not there to complete multiple firing cycles and you get only one spark, especially so as it not a DEI system.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Spintech/Hedman Exhaust, P-log Manifold, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, Champion Radiator, S10 Brake Booster, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

fierosound

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post09-25-2019 12:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I am just trying to find an old thread where the author was talking about his experience with that setup.

Maybe this one?
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/A...100421-2-098555.html

------------------
My World of Wheels Winners (Click on links below)

3.4L Supercharged 87 GT and Super Duty 4 Indy #163

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock