Driver Door Latch issue by Mjpalze
Started on: 09-22-2019 02:26 PM
Replies: 4 (149 views)
Last post by: Mjpalze on 09-24-2019 06:47 PM
Mjpalze

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-22-2019 02:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MjpalzeSend a Private Message to MjpalzeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey all.
I recently purchased a 1984 Fiero, to restore. I'm having an issue with the driver door latch. The driver door can be locked/unlocked from inside the car, and by the key outside. The driver door can be opened from the inside, but NOT the outside. I have the inner door panel off, and everything looks good-all rods are attached, the mechanism appears to be working the same way when I pull the inner or outer handle. I have the passenger door inner panel off also, and compared to the driver, everything looks to be working the same. Except the driver door just won't open from the outside. Any ideas?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Mike in Sydney

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-24-2019 01:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Mike in SydneySend a Private Message to Mike in SydneyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Check the rod from the latch to the handle again. It's hard to see where the rod fits into the outside handle. Also, there is a clip that hold the rod in the handle. I'm pretty sure its nylon and that there's a good chance that the rod has come out of the handle.

------------------
Mike in Sydney

Mjpalze

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-24-2019 03:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MjpalzeSend a Private Message to MjpalzeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'll check again. Thanks!!
Mike in Sydney

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-24-2019 06:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mike in SydneySend a Private Message to Mike in SydneyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Another thing you can try is to take the door panel off , get in the car and shut the door. Have someone operate the exterior handle while you watch the rod to see if it is moving. If it is, then check the end at the latch to see if it is connected there. Good luck. I know how frustrating these little issues can be.

------------------
Mike in Sydney

Mjpalze

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-24-2019 06:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MjpalzeSend a Private Message to MjpalzeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have the inside of the door taken off, so I can view what's going on when pulling on the handle. From what I can see, pulling the outside handle engages the mechanism the exact same way pulling the inside one does. I pulled the inside panel off the passenger door, and watched the mechanism while operating the outside handle, and it's doing the same thing as the driver's door, only it actually opens.

I'm thinking I should just remove the latch mechanism from the driver's door, and see if there's anything broken on it. I shouldn't be messing around with the door right now anyways, i'm in the process of stripping the car down. Too much other stuff to do first.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock