Power Window Clunks by CookesForChrist
Started on: 09-21-2019 09:38 PM
Replies: 3 (134 views)
Last post by: fierofool on 09-26-2019 09:12 AM
CookesForChrist

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-21-2019 09:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CookesForChristClick Here to visit CookesForChrist's HomePageSend a Private Message to CookesForChristEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
86 Fiero SE 2.8

I just replaced the inner and outer window seals (dew wipes) on both doors. (I only lost one bolt into the abyss!) I also greased the tracks for the windows. It took me a day to do it (I went slowly), but it was a fairly smooth and easy operation. (I followed this process: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kiRvvZNDw7Q)

Before I put the inner door panels back on, I tested the windows, and everything was A-OK. However, now that the inner door panels are back on nice and snug, the windows make a "clunking" noise as they go down (at about 95% down), and then another clunk back on the way up from bottom. I am not sure why they should do this only when the door is fully assembled. It does not seem to be negatively affecting the operation of the windows, but it is quite a noise.

Any explanation? Why was there no "clunk" when I had the door opened up? Should I expect it to go away as the grease works into the tracks?

Thanks and God Bless.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
shemdogg

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-22-2019 01:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for shemdoggSend a Private Message to shemdoggEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Maybe one of the bolts that holds the window guides/tracks is loose. Lower it down slowly till u hear the clunk, then look inside and see whats touching.

shem
fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post09-22-2019 03:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Remove or pop loose the inner door panel again and look at the umbrella fastener at the lower rear corner of the door. The stock umbrella fastener is too long and interferes with the window mechanism. If you replaced that fastener and didn't cut off about 3/8 inch of the top, you'll get a hangup and clunk. That was a factory solution to the problem.

fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post09-26-2019 09:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Did you ever resolve the issue? If you did, what was the problem?

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock