Dorman vs. AC Delco turn signal stalks by David Riedle
Started on: 09-20-2019 11:24 PM
Replies: 11 (873 views)
Last post by: Skybax on 04-04-2022 10:14 AM
David Riedle

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-20-2019 11:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for David RiedleSend a Private Message to David RiedleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm getting ready to purchase a new turn signal stalk.

Ready to order a new AC Delco part, but a mechanic with lots of Firbird experience told me that the Dorman 49286 turn signal stalk was a better part than the OEM AC Delco unit.

He said that the stalk was redesigned to be more robust than the AC Delco part with a larger base and stronger switches.

Anyone care to weigh in on this?

Dave Riedle
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 567
Rate this member

Report this Post09-20-2019 11:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Think both only makes cruise levers...

Dorman is cheaper and does work. I got one years ago and 1 mark for delay didn't line up perfect.
ACDelco is China made or 3rd World made at high markup for nearly nothing to nothing but the name.

could get used but cruise part often have problems.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave

CookesForChrist

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-21-2019 10:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CookesForChristClick Here to visit CookesForChrist's HomePageSend a Private Message to CookesForChristEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
86 Fiero SE 2.8

I had purchased the AC Delco turn signal arm (part # 19244690) but found the metal stud too thick. Operating the delay wipers was very, very stiff - even with lubrication. When I used the mist function, it would get stuck and keep running the wipers. Plus the delay/lo/hi markings did not line up well.

I ended up sending it back and trying the WVE/AIRTEX/WELLS turn signal arm (part # 1S2012). This functioned much better, but it was considerably "fatter" than the OEM arm, and it stuck out farther. It looked ugly and I was not satisfied...

I finally tried the ADR turn signal arm (part # 2060002) and found this did the trick. It is pretty well a match to the OEM arm except the lower part of the arm is chrome instead of black, which will annoy Fiero purists, but I think it is attractive. Also, the delay markings do not line up perfectly - but they are reasonably close. All in all, it is fresh and new and works great. (I got it on Ebay: https://www.ebay.ca/itm/370821646642)
Camel

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-21-2019 10:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CamelClick Here to visit Camel's HomePageSend a Private Message to CamelEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If you are trying to stick to originality, and your car is pretty much a nice low mileage with all OEM parts then that would be the only reason I would stick with a AC Delco stalk.

Amazon has 4 or 5 brands all for 20 - 25 buck prime and I have used one fine for 9 years, however I accidentally pinched the wire and had to repurchase a new one this year, but its been fine too.
viperine

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-25-2019 12:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for viperineSend a Private Message to viperineEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I picked up a NOS (new old stock) Delco unit after searching for years to find the exact replacement. I hate the newer version that is fatter, and it took some real digging to find the slender, all black version. Works perfectly and the print on it reminds me that it was worth the effort.

Some care less, but I have no regrets holding out. Now my cruise control works flawlessly. 87 GT 5 speed.
css9450

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post09-25-2019 11:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for css9450Send a Private Message to css9450Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by theogre:

ACDelco is China made ...

As is the Dorman and all 4 or 5 of those others on Amazon, most likely.

theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 567
Rate this member

Report this Post09-26-2019 10:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by css9450:
As is the Dorman and all 4 or 5 of those others on Amazon, most likely.
No sh... And you ignore the rest of that statement.
IOW...
ACDelco wants Premium $ and gives 90 Day Warranty Max for same China made part.
Many to most Dorman Cardone and other parts have a Lifetime Warranty for a lot less money.

GM stopped making most to all parts 20 years ago for GM factories and ACDelco Brand. All parts was spun off as Delphi that quickly went Bankrupt and sold most to others like GM/ACDelco Battery Bands are owned or made by Johnson Controls as are Sears Diehard, Interstate, and many others.
ACDelco is but GM's version of Sears Kenmore that jacks the price for whatever made Whirlpool et al. At least Most Kenmore items have same Warranty as the OEM that makes them.

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post09-27-2019 02:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Some Dorman parts leave more to be desired. My wife broke the knob off of a Dorman window crank on the first road trip after install, and no the window doesn't resist too much.
css9450

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post09-27-2019 03:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for css9450Send a Private Message to css9450Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

No sh... And you ignore the rest of that statement.

The rest of the statement wasn't relevant to my point.
Skybax

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 78
Rate this member

Report this Post03-27-2022 08:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SkybaxSend a Private Message to SkybaxEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I stumbled across this thread while searching so wanted to add what I found recently for future readers...

Originally posted by CookesForChrist:

86 Fiero SE 2.8

I had purchased the AC Delco turn signal arm (part # 19244690) but found the metal stud too thick. Operating the delay wipers was very, very stiff - even with lubrication. When I used the mist function, it would get stuck and keep running the wipers. Plus the delay/lo/hi markings did not line up well.

Maybe that is an older number, or replacement equivalent, I'm not sure... But when I was recently looking to replace mine it was # 25111262 and the NOS one I bought looked identical to the original and didn't have any of the issues you mentioned.

ACDelco is China made or 3rd World made at high markup for nearly nothing to nothing but the name.

ACDelco wants Premium $ and gives 90 Day Warranty Max for same China made part.

Depends on the part and how old it is, some ACdelco parts from 5, 10, 15, 20 years ago are made in USA and Mexico. The factory original GM Delco-Remy (best) ICM's from the 80's were made in Singapore. Here is photo of the turn signal stalk package I bought and it was identical to the original in every way...

[This message has been edited by Skybax (edited 03-27-2022).]

Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post04-04-2022 08:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The only thing good about AC Delco is the nice box that the parts come in. AFAIK, GM bids out for the best price and its anyone's guess whats inside that box or where exactly it was made in China. It may be very good or it may be very bad. From what I understand Delphi although Chinese is a fairly good product made in their own factories so QC MIGHT be a bit better.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Spintech/Hedman Exhaust, P-log Manifold, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, Champion Radiator, S10 Brake Booster, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

PFF
System Bot
Skybax

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 78
Rate this member

Report this Post04-04-2022 10:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SkybaxSend a Private Message to SkybaxEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Dennis LaGrua:

The only thing good about AC Delco is the nice box that the parts come in. AFAIK, GM bids out for the best price and its anyone's guess whats inside that box or where exactly it was made in China. It may be very good or it may be very bad. From what I understand Delphi although Chinese is a fairly good product made in their own factories so QC MIGHT be a bit better.

You just re-posted the same thing Orge said which can be misleading to readers. It might help to be specific when talking about "NEW" AC Delco parts. If you are buying new recently made AC Delco parts from the parts store then yes your statement is correct. If you are buying new older AC Delco parts (see my post above) from thousands of eBay sellers or a GM dealer then your statement is false. Many brand new AC Delco parts (like the one I bought above) are quality NOS (new old stock) made between 1985 and 2015, still available, and manufactured in many different countries (i.e. AC Delco distributor cap from 2013 is Made in the USA). I recommend to customers/friends to check the dealer and eBay first for quality older new AC Delco parts before buying current day parts store junk, especially ignition modules.

[This message has been edited by Skybax (edited 04-04-2022).]

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock