What do I do? by ascii23
Started on: 09-20-2019 05:45 PM
Replies: 5 (204 views)
Last post by: Patrick on 09-20-2019 11:57 PM
ascii23

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-20-2019 05:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ascii23Send a Private Message to ascii23Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hi! My 84 Duke just threw a rod, and I'm wondering what to do. The three options I've thought of are: Rebuild using another block I have from a parts car, Get a new engine from a junkyard for $400 and swap it in, or part it out and move on. I'm mainly wondering on the cost of a rebuild, and what I can make from a part out from 2 cars.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post09-20-2019 06:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Not knowing your mechanical ability, thats hard to answer.
Parting out a car or two doesnt raise much cash, you work for about $1/hour, and need to have someplace to store the stuff until it sells.
Does the other engine really need rebuilt?
$400 sounds pretty high for a Duke from the wrecking yard....

Hey, at least it didnt burn down!
ascii23

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-20-2019 06:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ascii23Send a Private Message to ascii23Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by olejoedad:

Not knowing your mechanical ability, thats hard to answer.
Parting out a car or two doesnt raise much cash, you work for about $1/hour, and need to have someplace to store the stuff until it sells.
Does the other engine really need rebuilt?
$400 sounds pretty high for a Duke from the wrecking yard....

Hey, at least it didnt burn down!

Yeah, the other engine is just a bottom end, and it burnt A LOT of oil when it ran, and $400 is the cheapest duke within reasonable distance of me. My mechanical skills advanced novice, I've swapped a few engines, but I've never done a rebuild.

shemdogg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-20-2019 10:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for shemdoggSend a Private Message to shemdoggEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Get a quote to have it rebuilt from an engine builder, rebuild kits about $200. Maybe try some bartering, I got my 5.0l rebuilt for a day and a half of landscaping. And hes a repeat customer lol.

shem
Tha Driver

Feedback score:    (46)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 204
Rate this member

Report this Post09-20-2019 10:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tha DriverClick Here to visit Tha Driver's HomePageSend a Private Message to Tha DriverEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have a low mileage '86 2.8 you can have for $300, in Commerce, Ga.
You can PM me or email me at ImThaDriver at yahoo.
~ Paul
aka "Tha Driver"

Custom Fiberglass Parts
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post09-20-2019 11:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by ascii23:

Get a new engine from a junkyard for $400 and swap it in...

If your junkyard sells "new" engines for $400... go for it! My junkyard only sells used engines, but at least they're dirt cheap... $150

Seriously though, you need to consider what your '84 will be worth after replacing or rebuilding the engine. 84's aren't exactly highly desirable. Not much point spending $1000 on a $500 car. I'm generalizing here, but I'm sure you catch my drift.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock