ICM Again by TOM SUTCLIFFE
Started on: 09-20-2019 02:06 PM
Replies: 9 (639 views)
Last post by: theogre on 09-24-2019 02:21 PM
TOM SUTCLIFFE

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-20-2019 02:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TOM SUTCLIFFESend a Private Message to TOM SUTCLIFFEEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Lots of posts on this topic but I couldn't find one that answered my specific question. I went to the GM/Delco parts site to try an determine the correct ICM module for my 85 V6 SE. My original ICM finally bit the dust after many years and after replacing the entire distributor with a new one, the ICM quit after only a few hundred miles. I'm convince its a heat-related issue due to other vendors now building these parts.

After entering my full (VIN 1G2PF3796FP266811) the Delco site came back with 1985 Pontiac Fiero 2.8L 173 cid V6 VIN:9

The ICM shown were:

Ignition Control Module
Part Number: D1943A
Product Notes:
Ignition Control Module
All; w/o HEI; VIN: 9*
Per Vehicle: 1; Years: 1985-1985

Part Number: D1984A
Product Notes:
Ignition Control Module
Per Vehicle: 1; Years: 1985-1988

Part Number: D1906C
Product Notes:
Ignition Control Module
Per Vehicle: 1; Years: 1985-1988

So basically 3 versions without any specifics as to the differences and one version specific to the 1985 year. So the D1943A would be correct and likely the one that came with the vehicle from the factory, but the other 2 could also be compatible. Also, the VIN: 9 must be significant since there is a specific ICM that references it.

I'm in the electronics business so I fully understand the importance of heat dissipation and what can happen when components are exposed to high heat with no where for that heat to go. Products sourced in China by US companies should be tested by those companies to meet the OEM specs so habitual failures would be the fault of the US concern not where they are made.

At this I was looking for feedback on which specific Delco versions other members have used. with success.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post09-20-2019 05:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Welcome to the Forum!

D1943A and D1984A are both good for the '85 - '88 Fiero, one being higher priced than the other.

They all tend to fail more often than they should...so many owners keep a second one in the trunk.

D1906C is not correct....different connector layout.

[This message has been edited by Gall757 (edited 09-20-2019).]

TOM SUTCLIFFE

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-20-2019 06:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TOM SUTCLIFFESend a Private Message to TOM SUTCLIFFEEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for your input. An extra ICM in the trunk is the way to go.
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post09-20-2019 10:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by TOM SUTCLIFFE:

An extra ICM in the trunk is the way to go.

I would argue that a heatsink installed on the underside of the distributor is "the way to go". That was my solution anyway.
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post09-21-2019 02:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Heat Is Not the only or even the worse problem(s) that can kill an ICM.
F'ed coils (main and pickup), cap/rotor, plugs and plug wires, etc, can repeatedly fry the ICM.
See my Cave, HE Ignition

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave

fierobear

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 383
Rate this member

Report this Post09-24-2019 01:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierobearSend a Private Message to fierobearEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:

I would argue that a heatsink installed on the underside of the distributor is "the way to go". That was my solution anyway.

I’ve had very good results with this stuff...

https://www.radioshack.com/...?variant=20332046277

It was recommended to me by a Silicon Valley type fellow Fiero guy. I think he’s ccrider on this forum.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post09-24-2019 03:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierobear:

With or without an additional heatsink, decent thermal compound between the ICM and the distributor base will certainly help to keep the ICM cool. Good to see that there's a quality thermal compound readily available from a common retailer. (Common in the States anyway as Radio Shack has disappeared from Canada.)

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post09-24-2019 11:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierobear:

https://www.radioshack.com/...?variant=20332046277

It was recommended to me by a Silicon Valley type fellow Fiero guy. I think he’s ccrider on this forum.

I have used this as well, on 2 Fieros, the ICMs were BWD from oreilly, havn't failed yet, its been about 7 years on one of them.
USMUCL

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-24-2019 01:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for USMUCLSend a Private Message to USMUCLEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I can't open that link, but I assume from the "Silicone Valley" reference that it is intended for computers.

When I went to a computer store looking for something for my ICM, the guy was adamant that the heat sink for computers will not withstand the heat and humidity from automobile use.

I used this. So far, so good: https://www.grainger.com/pr...Sink-Compound-44N787

theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post09-24-2019 02:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
RS HS Grease is nothing but standard White HS grease sold everywhere for 40+ years.
Is just Silicone oil w/ Zinc Oxide.

Can get that and other types thru Digikey, Grainger, Mouser, Amazon, etc. etc. etc. Often w/ larger package for less money per ml.

Some use same Hype grease sold to fools in the PC market to try to get CPU 1 or 2 degrees cooler.
While most works as HS grease is mainly hype to sell at High $. Like Many think Silver color mean Silver metal but most are just Aluminum.
Warning: Do Not use Gallium etc. "Liquid Metal" HS goo or you will ruin the distributor at minimum and often in hours.
Most of YT videos showing Gallium and others eats Aluminum are real. Most "Liquid Metal" goo has same warnings Not to use them w/ Aluminum HS etc.

I hate the small packs but Most people Should Not get a large tube/bottle of any HS grease.
Silicone Oil and other carriers can separate in the pack, More so if stored in hot places and DIY mixing won't help trying to fix this problem.
DIY mixing can't delver uniform mixing of oil and zinc etc.
Worse, Non-silicone HS Greases may have part of the grease that evaporate out of the package after opening.
Either problem meaning the grease is too thick to flow right and doesn't perform or worse if used months to years later.

If you have Permatex Brake Grease... Can use it in place of HS grease.
Does flow under pressure but won't run and never dries out and won't hurt plastic/rubber. It flows so thin the metal parts actually touch everywhere they can to transfer heat directly.
But is a real grease and will move until you install the screws etc.

Note: DIS modules are installed Dry from the GM factories. Anyone Adding HS grease other makes problems because the module is so big and grease can't flow making uneven pressures in the module. I install them w/ Brake Grease or Silicon Oil. Is to seal the faces to prevent corrosion as well as transfer heat a little better. Why? Unlike some others, 87+ Duke DIS module is very low on the engine and easier to get spayed w/ road trash and polluted water. Any Corrosion block heat transfer, if bad enough can put uneven pressure on the module too.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock