External emergency fuel pump by pontiacfierokid1985
Started on: 09-18-2019 12:55 PM
Replies: 5 (595 views)
Last post by: pontiacfierokid1985 on 09-28-2019 12:19 PM
pontiacfierokid1985

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-18-2019 12:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiacfierokid1985Click Here to visit pontiacfierokid1985's HomePageSend a Private Message to pontiacfierokid1985Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ok so was on my way with my wife to court this morning to go handle a matter. All the sudden we get stuck in traffic and hear a loud whining noise from inside the car right in the middle even the wife said that don’t sound right. I installed a walbro 255 pump about a month or 2 ago when I purchased my 86 gt. Pump was real quiet but still had the normal humming sound but today died in the middle of the travel lane. Threw the hazards on got out had her steer it over to brake down lane while pushed it. Soon as I got to the brake down lane instantly checked if fuse was bad, or relay burnt out disconnected the pump harness had her turn key on got power for about 3 seconds so everything to prime was telling me I was good there. So my whole post here is there anyway to install a external pump in a location that i can mount a and when the in tank pump fails I could flip a switch to that so i won’t be stranded like today. 2.8 4 speed if that matters
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post09-18-2019 01:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
We've had bad luck with the Walbro High Volume fuel pumps and they are noisy. We've had, good luck with the Bosch brand. I don't see anyway to use an external pump inline as an auxiliary fuel supply. If its turned off it will probably pose an impediment to the flow of the in tank pump. IMO, best to drop the tank and use a reliable brand of fuel pump. AC Delco used to be reliable but they are now just a Chinese made pump (made by who knows who) in an AC Delco box. I'm sold on the Bosch brand, made in Brazil but in their own manufacturing plant.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Spintech/Hedman Exhaust, P-log Manifold, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, Champion Radiator, S10 Brake Booster, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post09-18-2019 03:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You bought the pump exactly Where?
Ebay and Amazon are well known for Counterfeit car parts sold under most brand names including ACDelco and Walbro.

Did you install a New pump Sock?
The sock is a prefilter to keep big crap getting in the pump. Is required to install new sock to get Warranty from most brands.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave

[This message has been edited by theogre (edited 09-18-2019).]

Blacktree

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
Rate this member

Report this Post09-19-2019 01:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So instead of replacing the bad fuel pump with a good one, you want to ghetto-rig a second fuel pump?
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post09-19-2019 03:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by theogre:

You bought the pump exactly Where?
Ebay and Amazon are well known for Counterfeit car parts sold under most brand names including ACDelco and Walbro.

Did you install a New pump Sock?
The sock is a pre-filter to keep big crap getting in the pump. Is required to install new sock to get Warranty from most brands.

The Walbro pumps that we purchased were from a franchised dealer. They ran loud as heck even to the annoyance level. One failed the other one we sold but they were genuine Walbro 255gph pumps. I just assume that they just were not made for street use.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Spintech/Hedman Exhaust, P-log Manifold, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, Champion Radiator, S10 Brake Booster, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

pontiacfierokid1985

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-28-2019 12:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiacfierokid1985Click Here to visit pontiacfierokid1985's HomePageSend a Private Message to pontiacfierokid1985Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Pump I bought was a walbro 255 pump from summit all was good for a few. Later on that day I went to start the car and got a weird whining noise from the pump thinking hey that isn’t normal but it’s a daily driven car so didn’t want to Be down cause I had a meeting to go to with the wife her car waiting on parts as well for repairs. Well lesson learned broke down got it home and ended up just getting a 60 dollar precision pump from Oreillys which for the past week has been holding up better then the sh** walbro pump.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock