Started on: 09-08-2019 09:38 AM
Replies: 29 (885 views)
Last post by: yamaha94 on 12-10-2019 07:20 AM
cam-a-lot

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 99
Rate this member

Report this Post09-08-2019 09:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cam-a-lotSend a Private Message to cam-a-lotEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hello

Does anyone know who makes (or used to make) a steel "insert" that could be welded into the 88 cradle in a spot that was notorious for cracking? I used to have this piece but unfortunately sold it with my stash of parts, and now am regretting it. Can't find the original link.

Would like to purchase it if still available.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
hnthomps

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post09-08-2019 06:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hnthompsSend a Private Message to hnthompsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have a complete set of them that has not been installed on one of my 88s as of this date. I will look in my parts supply and see if I can tell who I purchased them from. I think that they were designed to be either welded or bolted into the proper locations.

Nelson
Spoon

Feedback score:    (16)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 61
Rate this member

Report this Post09-14-2019 07:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SpoonSend a Private Message to SpoonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Are you referring to this?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e7yBXx5CVxg

Spoon

------------------
"Kilgore Trout once wrote a short story which was a dialogue between two pieces of yeast. They were discussing the possible purposes of life as they ate sugar and suffocated in their own excrement. Because of their limited intelligence, they never came close to guessing that they were making champagne." - Kurt Vonnegut

Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post09-14-2019 11:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I enjoy challenges. I suspect this is what you're after...

Custom Cradle Stiffener for all years

cam-a-lot

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-15-2019 11:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cam-a-lotSend a Private Message to cam-a-lotEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That's it! Good catch. Looks like they are out of production

I can easily make these if the original supplier is gone. Just need someone to send me a simple flat CAD drawing. I have access to laser and press brake

Does anyone still make these?
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post09-20-2019 11:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by cam-a-lot:

That's it! Good catch. Looks like they are out of production

I can easily make these if the original supplier is gone. Just need someone to send me a simple flat CAD drawing. I have access to laser and press brake

Does anyone still make these?

I'll be needing one, too. If you find out anything, or decide to produce these, will you please keep me in the loop?
Thanks!

turbo86se

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-24-2019 08:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for turbo86seSend a Private Message to turbo86seEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Me too, keep me in the loop. Probably get two sets.
pmbrunelle

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post09-24-2019 09:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pmbrunelleSend a Private Message to pmbrunelleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Don't forget to make sure that you have a large pair of beefy washers as well.

This thread prompted me to have a look underneath my (84-87) Fiero, where I discovered that I had installed inadequate transmission mount washers. The washers were too small, so it looked like the transmission mount nuts could potentially tear through the holes in the cradle.

From my collection of automotive treasures (or rather, junk), I found some suitable washers. After some wire wheeling, I installed them on my Fiero.

The correct washer is at least as important as the doubler; the doubler is limited in that it has large slotted holes to allow for assembly tolerances.

Only washers can have a hole that fits closely to the stud.

[This message has been edited by pmbrunelle (edited 09-24-2019).]

hnthomps

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-30-2019 11:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hnthompsSend a Private Message to hnthompsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I finally located my box with the 88 cradle reinforcement bracket and have an address for the person who supplied me with them. This bracket has been in storage for about 7 years and I now see a small amount of surface rust on it. IIRC, you could either weld or bolt this reinforcement on. The shipper name/address is as follows but I cannot guarantee whether he is still in business or has any more stock.

Carl Clevenger
3748 Los Santos Drive
Cameron Park, CA 95682

Nelson
cam-a-lot

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-30-2019 04:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cam-a-lotSend a Private Message to cam-a-lotEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I don’t think we are supposed to post people’s actual names here ? Not sure

If you don’t need it , I can buy it for you and make a bunch more. Can make it out of stainless if people are willing to pay some extra

I have access to laser , waterjet , press brake , etc. So these parts would be a breeze

The original supplier replied to me that he no longer makes these
cam-a-lot

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-30-2019 04:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cam-a-lotSend a Private Message to cam-a-lotEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

cam-a-lot

2131 posts
Member since Oct 2010

If you don’t need it , I can buy it for you and make a bunch more. Can make it out of stainless if people are willing to pay some extra

I have access to laser , waterjet , press brake , etc. So these parts would be a breeze

PFF
System Bot
pmbrunelle

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post09-30-2019 07:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pmbrunelleSend a Private Message to pmbrunelleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Can make it out of stainless if people are willing to pay some extra

I'd suggest carbon steel only... less chances of people having problems with welding dissimilar metals.
fierogt28

Feedback score:    (14)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-01-2019 04:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierogt28Send a Private Message to fierogt28Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I'd be open to buy 2 if reproduced. Keep me posted...

------------------
fierogt28

88 GT, Loaded, 5-speed.
88 GT, 5-speed. Beechwood interior, All original.

hnthomps

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-01-2019 05:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hnthompsSend a Private Message to hnthompsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
PM sent

Nelson
Crasian

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-01-2019 08:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CrasianSend a Private Message to CrasianEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Heck yeah! I would buy one, maybe even two if I feel like doing both cars.

-Crasian
yamaha94

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-21-2019 04:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for yamaha94Send a Private Message to yamaha94Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hi Everyone, I will be re-producing a variation this bracket shortly. If you have any interest what-so-ever send me a PM. I have a close friend who has been making custom machined products like this for over 15+ years and has the facilities to make them. We will do a good job. I will start with a small batch and make them available shortly. ETA for production at the latest will be within 2 weeks. Again, send me a PM if you want one.

[This message has been edited by yamaha94 (edited 10-21-2019).]

Lunatic

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-21-2019 08:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LunaticSend a Private Message to LunaticEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Pete,

When I had your cradle here, I welded the piece in place. However, before I did that, I made a CAD drawing of it. I think I also made a drawing of the bends as well. I'll take a look. Send me a message or text.

cam-a-lot

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-21-2019 10:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cam-a-lotSend a Private Message to cam-a-lotEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks Shayne

If someone else is going to make them, then I won't bother since I have a lot of other things to do with my spare time... so let's wait and see. I do have access to lots of machine tools, so it would not be an issue to make.

yamaha94

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-07-2019 10:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for yamaha94Send a Private Message to yamaha94Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hi Everyone, the bracket is now in production! thank you for the 10 people who are in the queue. A picture will be posted once the product has been made and we are satisfied with it.
turbo86se

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-11-2019 08:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for turbo86seSend a Private Message to turbo86seEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Put me down for one!
yamaha94

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-19-2019 07:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for yamaha94Send a Private Message to yamaha94Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just an update - still making progress...we had to install a new laser for the CNC machine. Spending time calibrating making sure everything is A OK. just want to make sure quality and consistency is the same. Will make a posting when we are ready to ship. thanks
PFF
System Bot
yamaha94

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-22-2019 07:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for yamaha94Send a Private Message to yamaha94Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Brackets are almost finished. Next week we should be complete! will be sending out orders and contacting everyone soon.

Thanks
Mickey_Moose

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 143
Rate this member

Report this Post11-24-2019 11:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Mickey_MooseClick Here to visit Mickey_Moose's HomePageSend a Private Message to Mickey_MooseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
price??
jjd2296

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-27-2019 03:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jjd2296Send a Private Message to jjd2296Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by yamaha94:

Brackets are almost finished. Next week we should be complete! will be sending out orders and contacting everyone soon.

Thanks

When do you think they will be ready? We’re all waiting.
cam-a-lot

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-27-2019 06:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cam-a-lotSend a Private Message to cam-a-lotEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jjd2296:

When do you think they will be ready? We’re all waiting.

Yes, Shawn says they look great and came out realy accurate. The bends off the press brake came in perfect as well. Thank you to Yamaha94 for reproducing these parts. Are they ready to ship ?

[This message has been edited by cam-a-lot (edited 11-27-2019).]

yamaha94

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-01-2019 11:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for yamaha94Send a Private Message to yamaha94Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Mickey_Moose:

price??

Send me a PM I will add you to the list. Will be in Canadian dollars. No import duties since you are in Canada. Price will be announced once we are finished making them.
yamaha94

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-01-2019 11:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for yamaha94Send a Private Message to yamaha94Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

yamaha94

251 posts
Member since May 2017

Yes, Shawn says they look great and came out realy accurate. The bends off the press brake came in perfect as well. Thank you to Yamaha94 for reproducing these parts. Are they ready to ship ?

Thank you for the kind words. FYI There is a wait list with over 17 people on it. Based on our whats-app conversation the estimated ETA is next week.
jjd2296

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-01-2019 02:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jjd2296Send a Private Message to jjd2296Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Is camalot first on the list? Since he was the one that started the post?
jjd2296

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-01-2019 02:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jjd2296Send a Private Message to jjd2296Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

jjd2296

1424 posts
Member since Jan 2016
Is camalot first on the list? Since he was the one that started the post?
yamaha94

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-10-2019 07:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for yamaha94Send a Private Message to yamaha94Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Now available in the mall. thanks for all the support!

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock