ECM Tuning 97 3.4DOHC OBD2? by Inferno
Started on: 08-20-2019 01:03 AM
Replies: 12 (401 views)
Last post by: Darth Fiero on 09-20-2019 12:34 AM
Inferno

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-20-2019 01:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for InfernoSend a Private Message to InfernoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I am having a hell of a time, trying to find a supplier for tuning software that I can use on my OBD2 97 3.4DOHC's ECM.

I have contacted EFIlive and HP Tuners and they both say they cannot help.

ECU #16227797, CAYC *86CAYC7870422L5X*

Anyone have some thoughts or directions?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post08-20-2019 07:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You can try contacting Tunercat but Ryan at Sinister Performance tunes those engines and would know the answer to the question on what software to use for tuning. If you can scan and supply data logs on your PCM then Ryan can probably help you with changes via mail order.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Spintech/Hedman Exhaust, P-log Manifold, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, Champion Radiator, S10 Brake Booster, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

Inferno

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-20-2019 03:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for InfernoSend a Private Message to InfernoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks Dennis. I want and need to tune my own stuff. I am going to be doing a lot of modifications so I cant be relying on anything outsourced that I will have to wait on others for.
I will give Ryan a shout though and see if he is willing to steer me in the right direction.
Darth Fiero

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 361
Rate this member

Report this Post08-20-2019 05:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Darth FieroClick Here to visit Darth Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Darth FieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Inferno:

Thanks Dennis. I want and need to tune my own stuff. I am going to be doing a lot of modifications so I cant be relying on anything outsourced that I will have to wait on others for.
I will give Ryan a shout though and see if he is willing to steer me in the right direction.

TunerCat OBD2 Tuner supports both 1996 and 1997 3.4 DOHC PCMs. However, software directly from www.tunercat.com can no longer be purchased by the general public (the public release rights were bought by JET a number of years ago). You can buy JET DST for this application which will get you the software https://jetchip.com/shop/ch...tuner-programmer-2/, or you might be able to get TunerCat OBD2 Tuner by purchasing the Moates.net RoadRunner LS1 PCM. http://www.moates.net/roadr...ation-pcm-p-105.html

-ryan

------------------
More is more. Less is not enough.

Custom GM OBD1 & OBD2 Tuning | Engine Conversions & more | www.gmtuners.com

Raydar

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post08-20-2019 09:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If you already own the Tunercat OBD2 tuner, you can still buy the Definition files for whatever engine you need to tune.
The original purchasers were grandfathered in, and are covered by the original license.
ericjon262

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 66
Rate this member

Report this Post08-21-2019 01:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ericjon262Send a Private Message to ericjon262Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
or you *might* be able to install a later PCM from an L67 with some programming changes. a while ago, I ran a 3400 with L67 programming, and a bunch of changed flags. it will really depend on the cam position sensor arrangement.

------------------
"I am not what you so glibly call to be a civilized man. I have broken with society for reasons which I alone am able to appreciate. I am therefore not subject to it's stupid laws, and I ask you to never allude to them in my presence again."

"The day I tried to live, I stole a thousand beggars' change and gave it to the rich."
//www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/119122.html

msweldon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-26-2019 08:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for msweldonSend a Private Message to msweldonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What ericjohn said or even look at buying a slightly used Haltech, i.e. E11V2 or a 2000 series ECU... you're going to spend the same amount of moolah and have an order of magnitude more tunability. Haltechs have been proven to work with the stock GM ICM or you can modify it to work with a Haltech ignitor as well.
Inferno

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-05-2019 04:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for InfernoSend a Private Message to InfernoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Jet Performance DST is now ordered. Hope to have by the end of October.
Also picked up a book on ecm tuning. I hope it helps.
Camel

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-08-2019 12:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CamelClick Here to visit Camel's HomePageSend a Private Message to CamelEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Jet Performance DST is now ordered. Hope to have by the end of October.
Also picked up a book on ecm tuning. I hope it helps.

What book did you decide on?
Inferno

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-16-2019 12:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for InfernoSend a Private Message to InfernoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The DST arrived early and the MAF sensor, both from Jet.
Thanks Ryan at Sinister for the direction and thanks Dennis LaGrua for pointing me to Ryan.

The Book Engine Management Advanced Tuning

The Parts from JET Performance
JET Performance DST
JET Performance MAF Sensor

I will continue to inform my progress in order to help others.

Thanks to everyone for adding your input and suggestions; Raydar, ericjon262 and msweldon.
Dennis LaGrua

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post09-18-2019 09:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

The DST arrived early and the MAF sensor, both from Jet.
Thanks Ryan at Sinister for the direction and thanks Dennis LaGrua for pointing me to Ryan.

The Book Engine Management Advanced Tuning

The Parts from JET Performance
JET Performance DST
JET Performance MAF Sensor

I will continue to inform my progress in order to help others.

Thanks to everyone for adding your input and suggestions; Raydar, ericjon262 and msweldon.

The software from Jet should do it for you. I read the Advanced Engine Management Book by Greg Banish and its good info but only a very general guide to tuning.. Greg really wants you to buy his $300 CD tuning lessons.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Spintech/Hedman Exhaust, P-log Manifold, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, Champion Radiator, S10 Brake Booster, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

PFF
System Bot
Inferno

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-19-2019 06:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for InfernoSend a Private Message to InfernoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Dennis LaGrua:

The software from Jet should do it for you. I read the Advanced Engine Management Book by Greg Banish and its good info but only a very general guide to tuning.. Greg really wants you to buy his $300 CD tuning lessons.

How right you are on that.

Darth Fiero

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 361
Rate this member

Report this Post09-20-2019 12:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Darth FieroClick Here to visit Darth Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Darth FieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Lots of good DIY Tuner info can be found here: http://www.gearhead-efi.com...-Injection/forum.php

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock