trying to find 88 Koni struts by mcguiver3
Started on: 07-27-2019 09:07 PM
Replies: 16 (655 views)
Last post by: Larryinkc on 04-10-2020 10:56 AM
mcguiver3

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-27-2019 09:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mcguiver3Send a Private Message to mcguiver3Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Have an older set of Koni red adjustable struts on my 88 Formula race car.
Tried to find replacements but failed.
Is there a source for these?
Who is rebuilding them and what would be the cost and turnaround time?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
cvxjet

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-27-2019 09:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cvxjetSend a Private Message to cvxjetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
They are no longer making them; I apparently got the last ones. I am not sure if they are rebuildable (The monotubes like Bilsteins are but these are twin-tube shock which are far more complicated)
mcguiver3

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-28-2019 10:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mcguiver3Send a Private Message to mcguiver3Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If that is the case what options are there for an adjustable unit?
I have my Koni struts converted to coil overs now.
I will probably run out the season with the current ones but will be revamping the suspension over the winter months.
fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 258
Rate this member

Report this Post07-28-2019 10:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yes, the Koni rear struts for the Fieros have been discontinued.

Yes, the ones you have are rebuildable. Here are the rebuild centers listed on their website, but there are likely more.
http://www.koni-na.com/en-US/NorthAmerica/Locator/

KONI Rebuild Centers:

Performance Shock, Inc. @ Sonoma Raceway
29139 Arnold Drive
Sonoma, CA 95476
Phone: 800-965-5664

Truechoice
4683 Northwest Parkway
Hilliard, OH 43026
Phone: 888-566-4722

Pro Parts USA
310 E Easy St Unit B
Simi Valley, CA 93065
Phone: 818-888-8904
Z3SpdDmn

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-15-2020 04:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Z3SpdDmnSend a Private Message to Z3SpdDmnEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm just trying to find Koni Red fronts. I already have the rears in the car. Does anyone have a line on them? I haven't called Koni yet.

Koni is based in Hebron, KY, right around the corner from where I used to live. They used to do rebuilds there.

KONI North America | 1961 International Way | Hebron, KY 41048 | Telephone: (859) 586-4100

------------------
Anthony

'88 Fiero GT 5-spd "barn find"
2012 NASA SpecE30 National Champion
#80 BMW M235iR - Pirelli World Challenge TC
Rooster Hall Racing / FCP Euro

cvxjet

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-15-2020 05:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cvxjetSend a Private Message to cvxjetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have a set of the KYB Gas-A-just up front- they are (Basically) a copy of the Bilstein Monotube shock.....They have been discontinued also....

The Bilstein Monotube is a quantum leap above the other shocks- including the Koni adjustables...they can be tuned to whatever your cars purpose/spring stiffness is. (Must be done at a shop)

The front are regular shocks- you should be able to find a Bilstein that is close and then make modified brackets to mount them.

(23 years ago, I had a 1973 mach 1 w/ 5.0 FI engine- set it up for handling but wasn't happy with the ride and body control; A friend who raced BMWs told me about the monotube shocks- found that KYB made them for the old Mustangs.........The car rode AND handled better- how does it improve both ends? Variable orifice valving....To give you an idea how big an improvement, my BMW buddy was flabbergasted that the car rode and handled so well. (Over broken RR track crossing rode smooth (vs knocking teeth out!) then over a big hump/dip the body made one cycle and then STOPPED (Before it made three cycles)...The shocks I replaced were the Gabriel Strider 3 click adjustables.)

I believe some Vettes used shocks that are close in stroke/length to the 88 Fiero's.....
msweldon

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-16-2020 12:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for msweldonSend a Private Message to msweldonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
PM sent
Jay-ID

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-16-2020 11:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Jay-IDSend a Private Message to Jay-IDEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I posted in your Mall thread as well.

I bought a 8040 series for a Corvette and had Performance Shock shorten and re-valve it. You can call Performance Shock and they can find the right Corvette damper for you. This was a good solution for much stiffer (~650 lbs) front springs with a 1" lowering. My total cost was $515 for the shocks and modifications.
Z3SpdDmn

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-17-2020 03:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Z3SpdDmnSend a Private Message to Z3SpdDmnEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by cvxjet:

I have a set of the KYB Gas-A-just up front- they are (Basically) a copy of the Bilstein Monotube shock.....They have been discontinued also....

They appear to still be available. I can order them through my Tire Rack account.
I'll soon have a set with <5k miles on them available if anyone is interested. Never even seen rain

------------------
Anthony

www.DriveFasterNow.com

Z3SpdDmn

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-17-2020 03:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Z3SpdDmnSend a Private Message to Z3SpdDmnEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Z3SpdDmn

162 posts
Member since Jan 2011
So, Koni referred me to Classic Garage in Brewster, NY, as they had made the last bulk order of the front Koni Red dampers (8040 1092). They still have ~ a dozen of the fronts in stock, in case anyone needs them. $179.96 each. After this, I checked my inbox and found that this was the same source that Jay-ID had.

I spoke with Joe at Classic Garage (www.classicgarage.com): (845) 940-1900

Unfortunately, they don't have the rears. In order for them to get Koni to make another run, they'd need to place an order of at least 50 of each.

Cheers

------------------
Anthony

www.DriveFasterNow.com

Fiero Vice

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post04-02-2020 11:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero ViceSend a Private Message to Fiero ViceEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Z3SpdDmn:

So, Koni referred me to Classic Garage in Brewster, NY, as they had made the last bulk order of the front Koni Red dampers (8040 1092). They still have ~ a dozen of the fronts in stock, in case anyone needs them. $179.96 each. After this, I checked my inbox and found that this was the same source that Jay-ID had.

I spoke with Joe at Classic Garage (www.classicgarage.com): (845) 940-1900

Unfortunately, they don't have the rears. In order for them to get Koni to make another run, they'd need to place an order of at least 50 of each.

Cheers

Actually, I gave you a hint in private message that it was Classic Garage. I guess you didn't credit me for it. SMH!

When people tell you where to go, it usually is a nice manner to thank them & credit them.

See this thread from the Mall. Got no thanks from this guy. Good to know what kind of person he is.

//www.fiero.nl/forum/F.../HTML/078352.html#p9

[This message has been edited by Fiero Vice (edited 04-02-2020).]

PFF
System Bot
Z3SpdDmn

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-03-2020 09:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Z3SpdDmnSend a Private Message to Z3SpdDmnEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fiero Vice:

Actually, I gave you a hint in private message that it was Classic Garage. I guess you didn't credit me for it. SMH!

When people tell you where to go, it usually is a nice manner to thank them & credit them.

See this thread from the Mall. Got no thanks from this guy. Good to know what kind of person he is.

//www.fiero.nl/forum/F.../HTML/078352.html#p9

I think I mis-credited Jay-ID by mistake. I was bouncing between my inbox, here, and calling Koni and Classic Garage, that I got the names mixed up. I believe I meant to credit you there. I don't have any PM's from Jay-ID.
Simple mistake. No need to call my character into question here.

------------------
Anthony

www.DriveFasterNow.com

Fast Red

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-06-2020 12:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fast RedSend a Private Message to Fast RedEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Wcf has Koni shocks for the 84-88 cars

https://westcoastfiero.com/...rmance-yellow-shocks
wftb

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-06-2020 07:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for wftbSend a Private Message to wftbEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Those are the Koni strut inserts. This is how they work https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PXSnNZt3NiI

It looks like WCF is making them up using old struts or possibly new KYB's as they can be had fairly cheap from any discount Autoparts store. If you really want Koni struts it really is not that complicated to install these in to your old struts.

------------------
86 GT built 2.2 ecotec turbo
rear SLA suspension
QA1 coilovers on tube arms

msweldon

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-09-2020 10:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for msweldonSend a Private Message to msweldonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I will be attempting to install the koni inserts into my old OE struts soon. One gotcha doing this is that I believe you'll have to have a gland nut adapter machined.
wftb

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-10-2020 10:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for wftbSend a Private Message to wftbEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have watched the video twice now and I don't see anything other than common tools required. I was thinking of going back to a strut system on the rear of my car but once I added up the cost of making Koni's up I decided against it.

------------------
86 GT built 2.2 ecotec turbo
rear SLA suspension
QA1 coilovers on tube arms

Larryinkc

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-10-2020 10:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for LarryinkcSend a Private Message to LarryinkcEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by msweldon:

I will be attempting to install the koni inserts into my old OE struts soon. One gotcha doing this is that I believe you'll have to have a gland nut adapter machined.

I have a set of the Koni strut inserts on all four corners of my DD. They were installed 10 years and 100,000 miles ago, no problems and dampening is still great.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock