Electrical issues - Fan motor, fuel gauge and temp gauge questions by justin87
Started on: 07-16-2019 10:17 AM
Replies: 0 (137 views)
Last post by: justin87 on 07-16-2019 10:17 AM
justin87

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-16-2019 10:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for justin87Send a Private Message to justin87Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
In my 85 gt that i recently bought, I have the following issues I suspect are connected;
1. Fuel gauge does not work. It is stuck somewhere just above 1/8th of a tank and does not move at all when the key is turned on.
2. Temp gauge on the dash does not work. Also does not move at all when key is turned on.
3. Fan motor comes on and stays on when key is turned.

I suspect these three things are related and I'm about to tear into it and try and figure out where the problem is. However, I'm hoping some of the experts here can give me some advice as to places to look. Some additional info; When I test drove the car, I do not remember any of these issues happening and think i remember looking specifically for the fan / temp, however, I cannot be 100% sure. I AM positive however, that the gauge cluster was switched on me when the car was delivered so it is possible that it is simply defective or was not hooked up correctly (or some wiring was broken or shorted when he installed it) . I was told at the time when I questioned the previous owner that "I had the wrong cluster int here, so I gave you the right one" . So at this point I question the gauges themself.

So my questions are...
1. Are these circuits connected in any way other than just being on the dash?
2. Is there any way to test the gauges with a multimeter
3. Where is the wiring for the fan? i/e would it kick on if the temp gauge was not working correctly? (I thought it was a mechanical thing) .
4. What is the best place to start troubleshooting all this?

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot

All times are ET (US)
next newest topic | next oldest topic

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock