Tires! Summer only, what to buy by WullahBlack
Started on: 07-16-2019 05:14 AM
Replies: 12 (279 views)
Last post by: Blacktree on 07-17-2019 07:21 PM
WullahBlack

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-16-2019 05:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WullahBlackSend a Private Message to WullahBlackEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hello. I've been lurking here for years and finally decided to sign up. Lots of great people and information here.

My question is this. I have aftermarket 17inch rims, and I've been running the same summer tires on my Fiero for 10 years. Needless to say, Im due for some new skins.

At the time, I was told the largest that would fit were 215/40/17. The tires performed great (they were conti extremecontact) but I was curious what other people used for a summer only performance tire.

Honestly, I would love to go up to a 215/45/17 because Michigan potholes eat rims when you have so little sidewall. But the guy at Discount Tire told me that was the largest size that would fit. Though looking at it, I seem to have a lot of clearance with that existing tire size.

So I suppose my two questions are, what summer only performance tires would any of you recommend, and what do you believe the maximum tire size I could fit an on 85 GT with 17inch rims?

Thank you in advance.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
cvxjet

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-16-2019 11:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cvxjetSend a Private Message to cvxjetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The original tires on a 85 GT are 215/60-14 which are 24 inches in diameter.......the 215/45-17 are 24.6 inches in diameter....They are the perfect size for your car- I have converted my 85 SE V6 to 86-88 GT bodywork and Getrag GT 5 spd.....I put 16 x 7 wheels and 205/55 and 225/55 tires on it- the rear tires are slightly bigger than the 86-88 GT tires (215/60-15) and my speedo is right on the button.

The 215/40-17s are only 23.77 inches in diameter- which is smaller.....they do not fill the wheel wells......Go with the 45 series tires...

Also, I would stick with the conti-extremes- Continental (And their subsidiary General Tire) make the lightest tires- I switched my car from some BFGs and the 3 lb difference in front and 6 out back made a big difference in how the car felt- 40 lbs of >Un-sprung< weight is comparable to 200 lbs of weight off the body/chassis......

[This message has been edited by cvxjet (edited 07-16-2019).]

pmbrunelle

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post07-16-2019 12:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pmbrunelleSend a Private Message to pmbrunelleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I had 225/45R17 tires on my 17x7 rims on my 85 Fiero:
WullahBlack

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-16-2019 06:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WullahBlackSend a Private Message to WullahBlackEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Interesting! I do enjoy trying out different tires on my vehicles. I've been very happy with the Contis on my Fiero, and I have an all season set for my Trailblazer.

I was looking into some Pirelli P Zero Nero GT tires. But a tire guy i know says they are very good, but I'd probably get better wet traction with the Contis I have now.

Though thank you very much for informing me a 45 sidewall should work. This pleases me as Michigan roads do not take kindly to thinner sidewalls.
cvxjet

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-16-2019 07:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cvxjetSend a Private Message to cvxjetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My 225/55-16s are 25.74 inches in diameter...I like some sidewall on my Fiero- We don't have the newer refined suspension modern cars have (Aluminum A-arms and spindles, electronic shocks, etc)

And, most places now like to re-cover old asphalt and then let it rot for 10-20 years...Potholes! (In San Leandro where I live, they have what I like to call "San Leandro Potholes"; They lay on another layer of asphalt, but do not raise the manhole covers....they sit approx' 1-2" below grade....Fun to test your car's integrity. I had a windshield separate from the frame on the passenger side on my Fiero back 20 years ago.....)
La fiera

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-16-2019 08:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for La fieraSend a Private Message to La fieraEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Try Federal 595RS-RR. You will not be dissapointed. I use 215/40/17 and it's pretty beefier. It protects my rim and the rubber is soft (200UTG but it feels softer than that). One thing, they are very loud.
They sound like you are flying on a Japanese Zero WWII plane. The best part is the price. You can get a set of 4 215/40/17 shipped at your door for $400+. There's no other tiere that performs like this at this price.

[This message has been edited by La fiera (edited 07-16-2019).]

olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post07-16-2019 09:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What offset and width are your back wheels?

Tire size calculator shows you could easily go 245/50/17 on 30 offset, 7" wide wheels.

They are taller, will reduce wheel well gap by over an inch and throw off your speedo.
But they are better on our potholes....
WullahBlack

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-17-2019 04:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WullahBlackSend a Private Message to WullahBlackEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

This is what I was currently dealing with.
Will

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 237
Rate this member

Report this Post07-17-2019 07:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yeah, those are tiny. There's PLENTY of room in the wheel arches for MUCH larger tires than stock, as you can see.
The guy at Discount Tire doesn't know crap.
olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post07-17-2019 10:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the picture, nice car.

Can't tell anything about wheel width and offset from the picture.

Width and offset info should be fast on the inside of the wheel, probably on the back of the spokes.

You've got room for lots more rubber than you've been led to believe.
WullahBlack

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-17-2019 07:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WullahBlackSend a Private Message to WullahBlackEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Will:

Yeah, those are tiny. There's PLENTY of room in the wheel arches for MUCH larger tires than stock, as you can see.
The guy at Discount Tire doesn't know crap.

I'm sure as most people know, knowledge on Fieros is something nearly every shop seems to be lacking. And this was 10 years ago that I got these things, too.
PFF
System Bot
WullahBlack

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-17-2019 07:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WullahBlackSend a Private Message to WullahBlackEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

WullahBlack

11 posts
Member since Jul 2019

Originally posted by olejoedad:

Thanks for the picture, nice car.

Can't tell anything about wheel width and offset from the picture.

Width and offset info should be fast on the inside of the wheel, probably on the back of the spokes.

You've got room for lots more rubber than you've been led to believe.

Agreed. I'll take a look when its not an oven outside to check for that information you told me to look for. Aside from that, your prior tire sizing info is very useful to me at this junction. Thank you sir.

Blacktree

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
Rate this member

Report this Post07-17-2019 07:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by WullahBlack: At the time, I was told the largest that would fit were 215/40/17. The tires performed great (they were conti extremecontact) but I was curious what other people used for a summer only performance tire.

I used Continental ExtremeContact.

Tire sizes were 205/50-R17 front and 225/45-R17 rear, on 17x7" wheels. There was plenty of clearance, even with a lowered suspension. Or if you want the same size all around, 215/45-R17 is good.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock