Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  Where can I get output shaft seals for the Muncie tranny?

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Where can I get output shaft seals for the Muncie tranny? by randy86
Started on: 07-15-2019 07:13 PM
Replies: 10 (416 views)
Last post by: theogre on 07-18-2019 10:21 AM
randy86

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-15-2019 07:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for randy86Send a Private Message to randy86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My seals are leaking around my M17 output shafts and I cannot find seals at the usual places I shop.

Anyone know a source for output shaft seals?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post07-15-2019 09:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I just bought some at Autozone about 2 months ago.
randy86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-15-2019 09:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for randy86Send a Private Message to randy86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
They only list the 5sp seals, I need 4sp. But thanks!
pmbrunelle

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post07-15-2019 09:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pmbrunelleSend a Private Message to pmbrunelleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 258
Rate this member

Report this Post07-15-2019 10:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The 4 speed, 5 speed (Getrag, Isuzu, F23) and 6 speed (F40) axles seals are all the same. As well as the passenger side seal on the 125C, 4T60 and 4T65.

[This message has been edited by fieroguru (edited 07-15-2019).]

Will

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 237
Rate this member

Report this Post07-17-2019 08:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fieroguru:

The 4 speed, 5 speed (Getrag, Isuzu, F23) and 6 speed (F40) axles seals are all the same. As well as the passenger side seal on the 125C, 4T60 and 4T65.

Exactly... GM has used the same axle seals for LITERALLY 30 years.
Spoon

Feedback score:    (16)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 61
Rate this member

Report this Post07-17-2019 06:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SpoonSend a Private Message to SpoonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I just picked some up at Advance Auto a month ago. The good kind with the heavy metal ring with 6 holes in it. The other versions is worthless in my opinion.

Spoon

------------------
"Kilgore Trout once wrote a short story which was a dialogue between two pieces of yeast. They were discussing the possible purposes of life as they ate sugar and suffocated in their own excrement. Because of their limited intelligence, they never came close to guessing that they were making champagne." - Kurt Vonnegut

AsaBergman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-17-2019 09:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AsaBergmanSend a Private Message to AsaBergmanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I assume by 'output shaft' seal you mean axle seal? I just picked up the seals at AutoZone two months ago, part number 3543. They are listed as for the automatic but they fit the 4 speed manual. I'll double check my boxes later to be sure. If you don't know you pretty much cannot install the seal without some sort of pipe or large socket. I used a very large socket I picked up at autozone to get the seal in. Also get new axle nuts while you're there as many sources(handbook,the ogre) say not to reuse them.
AsaBergman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-18-2019 12:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AsaBergmanSend a Private Message to AsaBergmanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just checked my garage, Duralast 3543 is the seal and I used a 2 inch socket I got from AutoZone to get the seal in. Good luck.
fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post07-18-2019 07:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by AsaBergman:

Just checked my garage, Duralast 3543 is the seal and I used a 2 inch socket I got from AutoZone to get the seal in. Good luck.

I did the same thing after destroying a seal with a Loaner Tool seal driver from O'Rielly.

theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post07-18-2019 10:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Note that axle seal leaks/failures are otfen cause by other things so is Not a simple as a "bad" seal. Big ones are:
Iffy Axle bearing(s) can allow the axle to move sideways more then the seal can handle.
Replacing a seal w/o sealer "glue" lets oil/fluid leaking between seal outer and case. Paint the seal w/ High Tach or Super 300 "Paint" gasket sealer to seal small gaps and damage in the hole.
Axle can wear where meets the seal. Or rust where old seal doesn't cover. New seals have same PN but can be made w/ small difference and doesn't match the old one exactly. Can try cleaning or repair sleeve sim to crank balance sleeves but doesn't always work because might have either/both previous problems.

Auto trans axle bearing are very often simple sleeve type and wear out. You need right tools to replace them w/o tearing the trans apart.
Stick cars often have dif bearing problems and does same thing to axles.

Originally posted by fieroguru:
Both are same for TH125c. Drivers side is a big pain to remove. I have to replace several over the years.
PFF
System Bot

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock