Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  1985 duke dieing issue, on and on it goes !

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
1985 duke dieing issue, on and on it goes ! by Lou6t4gto
Started on: 07-13-2019 08:41 PM
Replies: 37 (540 views)
Last post by: Lou6t4gto on 08-16-2019 04:47 PM
Lou6t4gto

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-13-2019 08:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou6t4gtoSend a Private Message to Lou6t4gtoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
1985 2.5/auto .engine is low mile (Mechanically sound), but lately it has a habit of stalling for no known reason. usually at a light, But did it Once going down the road at 30MPH. Has always started right up again. NEW fuel pump, lines, filter, injector, regulator, Pickup coil, IAC, ICM, (within the last 500 miles !) the Stumble before totally quiting leads me to believe a fuel issue, but everything is NEW. Thinking of installing a fuel Pressure gauge IN the Dash so I can SEE what happens when it stumbles. Volts do not drop, tach does nothing wierd. I've tried jiggling the key switch when it started stumbling,... NOTHING. I dis connected & re-connected all electrical connections.
then after it re started, I get on my way, and if I push on the accelerator, does NOTHING ! doesn't quit, but won't speed up either ! TPS is Also NEW. tried switching the AC and fuel pump Relays also.
maybe a coinsidense, but the AC (that will usually Freeze me out ) every now and then blows WARM, 2 min later it blows Ice Cold !!??
running out of "what can it be's. Help! Thanks
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
cebix

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-14-2019 04:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cebixSend a Private Message to cebixEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
TCC locked up? Common issue with the symptoms you're describing.
Tempus_Fugit

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-14-2019 07:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Tempus_FugitSend a Private Message to Tempus_FugitEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by cebix:

TCC locked up? Common issue with the symptoms you're describing.

I like this theory, disconnect electrical connector at trans to test?

Lou6t4gto

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-14-2019 01:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou6t4gtoSend a Private Message to Lou6t4gtoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'll TRY anything at this point. I installed a new lock up solenoid about 3 years ago.
AsaBergman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-14-2019 03:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AsaBergmanSend a Private Message to AsaBergmanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
First thing to try is disconnect the torque converter clutch wire on the transmission and see if the issue continues. As someone else said this is a very common issue.

If you have a spare engine computer you should try swapping it. For stupid reasons I happen to have an 85 2.5 auto engine computer that I know works I could send you for cost of shipping from PA.
viperine

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-14-2019 04:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for viperineSend a Private Message to viperineEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Been in this situation with a 2.8, turned out to be a clogged cat. 60k miles on this one. I suggested this to another thread on a super low mile car and it happened to be the cat being clogged even there. Was under 10k miles, IIRC.

Take out the oxygen sensor and see if the problem goes away.
Lou6t4gto

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-14-2019 05:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou6t4gtoSend a Private Message to Lou6t4gtoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
disconnected the lock up. took it for an 8 mile ride, Perfect !....................NOPE, 1/2 hour later went to use it and I didn't even get out of my driveway ! Has NO Cat on it ! how long will it run with the O2 disconnected ??? (am I going to get stuck 2 miles down the road ?) or will it just run rich and throw a code?
Lou6t4gto

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-14-2019 05:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou6t4gtoSend a Private Message to Lou6t4gtoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Lou6t4gto

8436 posts
Member since May 2008
making me crazy, the "entire car" is like new, and yet I'm afraid to use it !
Lou6t4gto

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-14-2019 05:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou6t4gtoSend a Private Message to Lou6t4gtoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Lou6t4gto

8436 posts
Member since May 2008
PM Sent. thanks
Lou6t4gto

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-15-2019 04:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou6t4gtoSend a Private Message to Lou6t4gtoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I disconnected the O2 sensor, made Not alot of difference except putting the ses light on and a 13 code. disconnected and plugged EGR, no difference, checked wires in console (No mouse chews), r&r all the plugs to make sure they are "Seated". still Sputters for 1 second then quits, will start right up again though. did it 4 times just in the driveway !, then ran fine for about 2 miles before doing it again.
cebix

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-16-2019 11:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cebixSend a Private Message to cebixEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You say new fuel pump... have you actually checked fuel pressure? Never saw any 44 codes?
PFF
System Bot
Lou6t4gto

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-16-2019 02:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou6t4gtoSend a Private Message to Lou6t4gtoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
fuel pump was 1st thought. New ac fuel pump and hose, the old hose was Split after 2 years !so I put in a new pump while the tank was Out has 13 psi fuel pressure engine off, engine running. cannot see it when the engine shuts off, (thats why I was thinking of a fuel pressure Gauge in the dash), Happens so Quickly, no warning or time to really see anything "abnormal' happening ! Volts do Not drop ( well goes from 14 to 12 when the engine stops spinning) (normal). Switched AC and Fuel pump Relays, no difference, ordered a new relay anyway,LOL. Running out of "what to try". *Can a OBD1 car (fiero) be hooked to a laptop and driven to SEE what is happening ??* I am totally WILLING to pay the man in a big shopwith latest equipment to "Diagnose" this if it is possible, I'm running out of Ideas.
I Know, whatever it is, IS just a "prettymuch" $10 fix, But I just can FIND the "Culprit". Starting to think it's a BAD "Brand New Part" that I already replaced
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post07-16-2019 02:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Lou6t4gto:

*Can a OBD1 car (fiero) be hooked to a laptop and driven to SEE what is happening ??*

It was all thoroughly explained to you five years ago in This thread, and I also reminded you of this a year ago Here.
Lou6t4gto

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-16-2019 04:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou6t4gtoSend a Private Message to Lou6t4gtoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Is there ANYONE "LOCAL" to Ocala Fla, Capable of FIXING this thing ???
Lou6t4gto

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-17-2019 01:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou6t4gtoSend a Private Message to Lou6t4gtoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
IS IT Possible ? for the Ign COIL to intermittently overheat and shut the engine down ? the COIL is original to the car and about the only part that has never been replaced, I know, grasping at straws.
cebix

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-17-2019 01:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cebixSend a Private Message to cebixEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post07-17-2019 08:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Its possible that the ECM, or ignition module may be working intermittently. A scan tool may give you and indication.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Spintech/Hedman Exhaust, P-log Manifold, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, Champion Radiator, S10 Brake Booster, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

Lou6t4gto

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-17-2019 11:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou6t4gtoSend a Private Message to Lou6t4gtoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
just replaced the ignition module, no difference. a rebuilt ecm is on the way. I do not have a way to SCAN it, or I surely would do it. (Not that I would know what the numbers meant anyway)
fierosound

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post07-18-2019 02:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I do not have a way to SCAN it, or I surely would do it. (Not that I would know what the numbers meant anyway)

Easier than you think... https://www.fiero.nl/cgi-bin/main.cgi?ECMCodes

------------------
My World of Wheels Winners (Click on links below)

3.4L Supercharged 87 GT and Super Duty 4 Indy #163

Lou6t4gto

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-18-2019 03:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou6t4gtoSend a Private Message to Lou6t4gtoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I CAN read the "flashing codes" by jumping it (Has NO Codes !) But what I Cannot do it (using a "SCANNER")
to SEE "what it's DOING when it's DOING IT". it only shows Codes AFTER the fact". and it shows NO Codes
fierosound

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post07-19-2019 06:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I CAN read the "flashing codes" by jumping it (Has NO Codes !) But what I Cannot do it (using a "SCANNER")
to SEE "what it's DOING when it's DOING IT". it only shows Codes AFTER the fact". and it shows NO Codes

Gotcha... http://www.reddevilriver.com/aldl.html
PFF
System Bot
Lou6t4gto

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-20-2019 11:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou6t4gtoSend a Private Message to Lou6t4gtoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
here is a list of Whats NEW in this car: (1985 fiero 2.5 /auto) All PARTS less than 100 miles

Fuel pump, hose, pickup, filter, regulator, throttle body, IAC, Map, TPS, Fuel injector, fuel pump relay
dist pick up coil, ICM, rotor, cap, wires, plugs
rebuilt ECM, ALL temp senders/sensors,(air and fluid)
O2 sensor
has 10 psi fuel pressure at all times (even when it quits)
Extra "Grounds" from bat to engine, engine to frame, frame to body* holds at 14 volts running, drops to 12.5 after it dies*
all connections are clean and tight
engine (2.5) has 10k since total rebuild * automatic
The car has run "flawlessly" for 4 years, then out of the blue it started this: stalling at a light thing, ac on, ac off, with Lockup disconnected,
the only thing NOT changed yet is the ign switch (Not Key switch)
the car idles just fine, then (with Fuel pressure gauge hooked up) it will die while maintaining 10PSI.
I believe I have already looked into or replaced "all the known suspects".
I'm out of ideas ! Anyone local to me have a machine that can Properly monitor this thing while it does it's dieing thing ???
Lou6t4gto

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-21-2019 12:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou6t4gtoSend a Private Message to Lou6t4gtoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
should ad this, it will do it open or closed loop !
cebix

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-21-2019 02:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cebixSend a Private Message to cebixEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My bet is electrical. Either the ignition is failing or there's some loose/corroded wire/connection you haven't found yet.
Lou6t4gto

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-21-2019 02:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou6t4gtoSend a Private Message to Lou6t4gtoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
a new ignition COIL is on the way, after that, I'm out of ideas. already checked all the connections. cannot FIND anything "when it's not in the act of dieing". it immediately fixes itself, and starts right up. COULD the ORIGINAL "Oil Sender" cause it to shut off fuel supply, then on restart the fuel RELAY brings it back up ???
cebix

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-21-2019 02:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cebixSend a Private Message to cebixEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

(...) already checked all the connections(...)

Have you, really? With an ohm-meter across an unplugged wire and wiggling it to see if it breaks connection? ECM reset wire? I had a somewhat "similar" problem to your when my positive battery cable to the junction box was corroded inside the insulation. Couldn't see it. Only realised it was it when I wiggled it when running the engine and it died.

About the oil sender - nope. It acts parallel to the relay. If you hear that pump run, you've got fuel. You also said you've got steady fuel pressure, so no problem there.
Dennis LaGrua

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-21-2019 02:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Once thing for certain; you are either losing ECM power, spark or fuel. Does the tach work correctly? If not the tach filer may be shorting. Borrow a scan tool and do a datalog.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Spintech/Hedman Exhaust, P-log Manifold, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, Champion Radiator, S10 Brake Booster, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H

Lou6t4gto

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-21-2019 04:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou6t4gtoSend a Private Message to Lou6t4gtoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I "THINK" I finally got it. the ignition Switch was the LAST thing I was "replacing", (Of course they sent me the wrong switch), BUT, the Main" PLUG" going onto the switch, with the main red and yellow 10 gauge wires, the "plastic Plug" was burned at the yellow and red, the wires and switch are fine, But it HAD TO BE a loose connection to generate the HEAT to melt the plastic!
so far so good, Probably should Not Celebrate yet, But I'm "thinking" after all this, I finally found it. Heres hoping
Dennis LaGrua

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-24-2019 10:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Lou welcome to the "its driving me crazy club" . Sounds like you found the problem. I should have mentioned that as I experienced a intermittent ignition switch failure once myself but it was years back. Good job and congrats for staying with it. Problems such as this can make one feel like setting the car on fire but for every problem there is a solution. A good lesson to be shared with everyone.

------------------
"THE COLUSSUS"

Lou6t4gto

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-27-2019 03:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou6t4gtoSend a Private Message to Lou6t4gtoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I should have know better ! after changing to the rebuilt computer, today it acted like it was running out of fuel Twice and did NOT want to start right up again. 5 min before that the converter WAS "locking up" trying to stall it below 25mph. when the (running out of fuel thing happened) it would not start right up ! after coasting to a side road, it did start up again, so at least I did not end up Walking ! going to put the orig computer back in and see what happens. oooooh.......
edfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-30-2019 01:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for edfieroSend a Private Message to edfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm going to put some money on the ECM.

Now that these things are 30+ years old, they will get flakey. And even a so-called rebuilt one can go at any minute.

I've replaced the ECM 4 times in 2 years (for different problems) on my 84 Grand National.
PFF
System Bot
Lou6t4gto

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-30-2019 05:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou6t4gtoSend a Private Message to Lou6t4gtoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
that was my thought, I did Not have the "lock up problem before I put this ecm in.
Akheron

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-31-2019 07:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AkheronSend a Private Message to AkheronEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm just gonna throw this out there, but have you replaced the EGR valve? I ask because your stalling problem sounds like what my car was doing. When my EGR failed, it would stall at low RPM's (at a light) and I would have to put it in neutral and rev it to keep it running, but would run smooth as silk at highway speeds. Granted, my EGR valve failed catastrophically and it was obvious that it needed to be replaced, but I'm wondering if yours is on the frits and is about to fail completely.
Lou6t4gto

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-31-2019 01:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou6t4gtoSend a Private Message to Lou6t4gtoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
EGR was Replaced, and the EGR has nothing to do with the Converter locking up
Lou6t4gto

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-14-2019 07:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou6t4gtoSend a Private Message to Lou6t4gtoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
replaced the ECM with the original, still stalls, didn't even get 50 feet , engine was not even warm yet ! Unbelievable !!!!
Lou6t4gto

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-15-2019 07:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou6t4gtoSend a Private Message to Lou6t4gtoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
"SCREAMING"........ HEELLPP
Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post08-16-2019 03:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
take a day off, Lou.

some ICMs fail right out of the box, and more fail before 100 miles.
Lou6t4gto

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-16-2019 04:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou6t4gtoSend a Private Message to Lou6t4gtoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
OK, Antone got a Known GOOD ONE ???

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock