V8 Swap by Chief08
Started on: 07-05-2019 04:38 PM
Replies: 60 (3002 views)
Last post by: Chief08 on 07-11-2019 04:52 PM
Chief08

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-08-2019 08:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Chief08Send a Private Message to Chief08Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fieroguru:

The 3.6 is part of the GM High Feature V6 lineup. The Saab Turbo 2.8 is part of that engine family and comes factory with an F40, so there is a version of the F40 with the proper bellhousing. Just remember the F40 is available with about 4+ different bellhousings (Metric, Ecotec, High Feature, Opel Diesel) so it will be important to source the right one.

There has been 1 completed Saab 2.8 swap. There were several issues with the Saab ecm at the time, but he finally found a work around.
//www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/091238.html

Here is a LFX/F40 swap currently underway:
//www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/142132.html

This is likely the most wished swap currently... but so far there is only 1 High Feature V6 swap completed and it didn't use the factory GM ECM. The second one is getting close, but it will be the 2nd. The 3.6L swap is far from fully documented and no kit exists, which makes it very, very challenging.

Thaks for that info. I guess I'll try to stick to the V8 that requires the least Fab work that is compatible with the F40. Would that be the 5.3L that you have been talking about?
IP: Logged
pmbrunelle

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post07-09-2019 12:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for pmbrunelleSend a Private Message to pmbrunelleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If you want to minimize fabrication work, talk to Archie.

He has what you need for a plug-and-play V8 + F40 install.

Right now you're kind of firing from the hip with non-specific questions; I'd suggest doing some reading through the Archives.

[This message has been edited by pmbrunelle (edited 07-09-2019).]

Will

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 237
Rate this member

Report this Post07-09-2019 07:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by engine man:

yes a even better choice is the cobalt f35 MU3 it has a 4:05 final drive ratio

That was only built with the Ecotec bolt pattern.
buildamonster

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-09-2019 11:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for buildamonsterSend a Private Message to buildamonsterEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
PM sent
engine man

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-09-2019 01:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for engine manSend a Private Message to engine manEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
well don't that suck can the ring and pinion be swapped into another tranny ?
Chief08

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-09-2019 02:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Chief08Send a Private Message to Chief08Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So, I've decided to go with the LS4/F40 combo. It seems to be the combination of power and ease of install. Thanks to Fiero Guru, your advice is what steered me in tis direction.
Chief08

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-09-2019 04:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Chief08Send a Private Message to Chief08Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Chief08

323 posts
Member since Feb 2017
Do the fiero gauges interface with the new ecu and vss, or do they need to be replaced?
fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 258
Rate this member

Report this Post07-09-2019 05:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I run all stock Fiero gauges with my LS4/F40 swap
Chief08

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-09-2019 05:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Chief08Send a Private Message to Chief08Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I run all stock Fiero gauges with my LS4/F40 swap

Good to know, thank you.
fieroguru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-09-2019 05:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Wiring details are fully documented for the E67 ecm in my build thread.
Chief08

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-09-2019 07:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Chief08Send a Private Message to Chief08Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Wiring details are fully documented for the E67 ecm in my build thread.

Ok, I'll check it out. What about the a/c, does the fireo a/c system work, or does it need to be changed. Also, how is the steering effort with those 18s?
PFF
System Bot
fieroguru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-09-2019 09:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Fiero A/C doesn't need any ecm to run, so you have options on how you want to run it. I used the stock LS4 A/C compressor but use Fiero non-ecm wiring/control since the E67 ecm doesn't have a discrete A/C request signal input.

I only have 17s up front, but due to width and offset, the front wheels reduced the scrub radius from stock, so they aren't any harder to turn.

[This message has been edited by fieroguru (edited 07-09-2019).]

Chief08

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-09-2019 09:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Chief08Send a Private Message to Chief08Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by fieroguru:

Fiero A/C doesn't need any ecm to run, so you have options on how you want to run it. I used the stock LS4 A/C compressor but use Fiero non-ecm wiring/control since the E67 ecm doesn't have a discrete A/C request signal input.

I only have 17s up front, but due to width and offset, the front wheels reduced the scrub radius from stock, so they aren't any harder to turn.

[/QUOTE

Assuming I had everything I need to complete the swap, how long to you think it would take to complete?
Daryl M

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-10-2019 02:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Daryl MSend a Private Message to Daryl MEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

The 3.6 is part of the GM High Feature V6 lineup. The Saab Turbo 2.8 is part of that engine family and comes factory with an F40, so there is a version of the F40 with the proper bellhousing. Just remember the F40 is available with about 4+ different bellhousings (Metric, Ecotec, High Feature, Opel Diesel) so it will be important to source the right one.

There has been 1 completed Saab 2.8 swap. There were several issues with the Saab ecm at the time, but he finally found a work around.
//www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/091238.html

Here is a LFX/F40 swap currently underway:
//www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/142132.html

This is likely the most wished swap currently... but so far there is only 1 High Feature V6 swap completed and it didn't use the factory GM ECM. The second one is getting close, but it will be the 2nd. The 3.6L swap is far from fully documented and no kit exists, which makes it very, very challenging.

I can vouch for that statement. The LFX/F40 swap does require a fair amount of original work. Lately I have been tied up with other things so progress has been slow, but I am satisfied that this swap will be one that becomes popular. The combination of available and affordable engines and the light weight and respectable power of this motor transmission combination, will become more desirable as other options age out. Just my opinion.

fieroguru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-10-2019 08:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Chief08:
Assuming I had everything I need to complete the swap, how long to you think it would take to complete?

I would allow at least 3 months. It took me 3 years, but I was developing solutions and did another SBC swap in the middle.

It really depends on what else you do and what you want to end up with. It is one thing to throw a swap together and have it look like it. Completely different amount of work to make it look awesome, run great, and be daily driver reliable.
Will

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 237
Rate this member

Report this Post07-10-2019 09:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

well don't that suck can the ring and pinion be swapped into another tranny ?

The F23 five speed from an HHR has 4.17ish final. The F23 from a Saturn Vue has a 4.40 final.

There are 24x LS4's, right? So it's possible to do the swap with an earlier LS computer (drawing a blank on the PN right now), while using the "analog" option in the tune for A/C control. This requires adding a pressure transducer to the high side of the system, but that's not hard considering the other A/C work that has to be done.
fieroguru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-10-2019 07:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

yes a even better choice is the cobalt f35 MU3 it has a 4:05 final drive ratio

The F40 came with all of these final drives:

fieroguru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-10-2019 07:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

fieroguru

12128 posts
Member since Aug 2003

Originally posted by Will:
There are 24x LS4's, right? So it's possible to do the swap with an earlier LS computer (drawing a blank on the PN right now), while using the "analog" option in the tune for A/C control. This requires adding a pressure transducer to the high side of the system, but that's not hard considering the other A/C work that has to be done.

Yes, the 05 and 06 LS4s are 24X. They come with the E40 (which I think does have an AC request input), but you can also run them with the other school 411 ecm an a throttle cable.
Chief08

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-10-2019 11:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Chief08Send a Private Message to Chief08Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Will the F40 bolt up to the 3.4L pushrod V6?
fieroguru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-11-2019 07:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Since the F40 came in at least 4 bell housing patterns, a version of it will bolt up to nearly any GM transverse FWD engine built since the 1980s. The only FWD bellhousing pattern it didn't come with is the Quad 4.

The G6 version uses the GM Metric bellhousing pattern, which is the one that will bolt to the 2.8/3.1/3.4/3.5/3.9 and 3800 V6 engines as well as the caddy 4.5/4.9, N*/Aurora and the LS4.
Chief08

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-11-2019 04:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Chief08Send a Private Message to Chief08Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Since the F40 came in at least 4 bell housing patterns, a version of it will bolt up to nearly any GM transverse FWD engine built since the 1980s. The only FWD bellhousing pattern it didn't come with is the Quad 4.

The G6 version uses the GM Metric bellhousing pattern, which is the one that will bolt to the 2.8/3.1/3.4/3.5/3.9 and 3800 V6 engines as well as the caddy 4.5/4.9, N*/Aurora and the LS4.

Very informative, thank you. I found a nice 88 GT with the 3.4L. It's not a V8 obviously, but it's already done and it will save me a ton of money. So if I get it i'd like to add the 6spd.
PFF
System Bot
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay