Open loop by FX
Started on: 07-05-2019 01:25 PM
Replies: 6 (239 views)
Last post by: FX on 07-05-2019 03:15 PM
FX

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-05-2019 01:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FXSend a Private Message to FXEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
86 GT 2.8. We all know that the 235* factory temp is scary, and excessive heat can cause damage over time. Well in trying to get my temp down I installed one of RD's lower in-block fan temp switches and a 195* stat ( I forgot what the stock thermostat was). I think the 235* came in with the original in-block fan temp switch. Engine is mostly running in closed loop now. Does any one out there have a good combo of stat, and switch that would run it closer to 200? I think it's supposed to go to open loop at about 160, and I'm consistently running at or below that.

[This message has been edited by FX (edited 07-05-2019).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post07-05-2019 02:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by FX:

I think it's supposed to go to open loop at about 160, and I'm consistently running at or below that.

What are you basing that observation on? If true, I suspect your thermostat is stuck open.

You might possibly be getting confused between the temperature ratings of the fan switch and of the thermostat.

The factory thermostat is 195°F. The Stant SuperStat (#45819) is a superior 195°F thermostat.

The factory fan switch turns on at 235°F. Many of us swap that out for a 210° on and 200° off fan switch.

None of the changes mentioned here will affect closed loop operation.

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 07-05-2019).]

FX

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-05-2019 02:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FXSend a Private Message to FXEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Patric, I'm basing this on the temp gauge, and poor mpg, it's not running in open loop. My objective is to run in open loop without the fan on almost constantly. I don't want it to fail before it's time. I will install the thermostat you suggest, you could be right on it sticking open. I do have Rodney's lower temp switch installed.
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post07-05-2019 02:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by FX:

I'm basing this on the temp gauge, and poor mpg,...

You can't trust the dash gauges. Using a scanner, you need to see the actual temperatures being reported to the ECU.

Poor MPG could be caused by any number of factors.

Originally posted by FX:

...it's not running in open loop.

You don't want it to be running in open loop.

Originally posted by FX:

My objective is to run in open loop without the fan on almost constantly. I don't want it to fail before it's time.

This makes no sense. You want the engine to be running in closed loop. I have the fan switch and thermostat previously mentioned installed on my Fiero(s). The rad fan rarely comes on.

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 07-17-2019).]

FX

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-05-2019 02:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FXSend a Private Message to FXEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Then I got it backwards...Closed loop, operating temp, when it leans out the mix....And I don't have an obd 1 scanner...

[This message has been edited by FX (edited 07-05-2019).]

cebix

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-05-2019 02:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cebixSend a Private Message to cebixEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
https://youtu.be/XutHcwaWUpY

Easiest way to tell if you're running in open or closed loop with no scanner.

"If the engine controller is in open-loop mode, the MIL will flash extremely rapidly, about two-and-a-half times per second. If the engine controller is in closed-loop mode, it will flash about once per second."

[This message has been edited by cebix (edited 07-05-2019).]

FX

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-05-2019 03:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FXSend a Private Message to FXEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks cebix, I will check this out.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock