Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  Engine is being dropped to fix a clutch issue, anything I shoudl do while it's out?

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Engine is being dropped to fix a clutch issue, anything I shoudl do while it's out? by McCool
Started on: 07-03-2019 10:11 PM
Replies: 5 (175 views)
Last post by: Dennis LaGrua on 07-04-2019 12:04 PM
McCool

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-03-2019 10:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for McCoolSend a Private Message to McCoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Aside from an engine swap of course.... Is there anything I should be doing maintenance wise on my 2.8 4spd while the engine is down. I'm not talking about anything like tearing the engine apart and rebuilding it, I'm thinking more like tune up kind of stuff.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Spadesluck

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-03-2019 10:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SpadesluckSend a Private Message to SpadesluckEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I would just give the engine a good look over. Leaks, manifold cracks etc.... Maybe a tune-up while it is easy to get to (if it needs it).
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post07-03-2019 11:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Are you dropping the cradle? If so... while you have easy access to the heads, it would be a great time to remove and port the exhaust manifolds. Gives a reported 8 HP boost, and IMO improves the exhaust tone as well (which already sounds pretty good from the 2.8 V6). Just be careful removing the exhaust manifold bolts. However, if you break any (or discover some which are already broken/missing), having easy access to the heads makes drilling out the broken bolts a whole lot easier!
olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post07-04-2019 07:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Depending on mileage / evidence of leaking, wear, damage or corrosion

- water pump
- timing chain and gears
- front seal
- rear seal
- rear cam cover gasket
- oil pan gasket
- check coolant crossover pipe
- hoses
- suspension and cradle bushings
- engine and transmission mounts

[This message has been edited by olejoedad (edited 07-04-2019).]

fierosound

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post07-04-2019 10:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Clean and detail your engine bay and engine before reinstalling.
A few rattle cans of paint can make a world of difference.

------------------
My World of Wheels Winners (Click on links below)

3.4L Supercharged 87 GT and Super Duty 4 Indy #163

Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post07-04-2019 12:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
One critical oil leak point is the O ring at the point where the distributor fits in the block. I would check it. If it needs replacement make sure that you index the distributor/rotor position for proper re-assembly.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Spintech/Hedman Exhaust, P-log Manifold, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, Champion Radiator, S10 Brake Booster, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock