Priming Oil Pump in 3800 series 2 by BadNewsBrendan
Started on: 07-02-2019 03:52 PM
Replies: 3 (492 views)
Last post by: cmechmann on 07-03-2019 09:53 PM
BadNewsBrendan

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-02-2019 03:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BadNewsBrendanSend a Private Message to BadNewsBrendanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I am planning on starting the spare engine I swapped in tonight. I did a head swap and a main seal and gasket refresh on the engine. To say the least, the engine was sitting for a long time before I bought it and had moisture in it. Will post pictures of what the engine looked like if i get it running but would not have recommended using this engine to a friend but I got it for basically free and super cheap gaskets in it. Anyway, the last engine only made it about 300 miles before getting a knock and I did not prime the oil pump before starting because I read you didn't need to. It took a good amount of time for it to build oil pressure at idle and wondering if this might have damaged the bearings because it took a while to get oil there. I made sure to lube lifters and push rod ends with lucas oil. Ive seen people take spark plugs out and just crank the starter to let it build oil pressure so thats what I was planning on doing as well as prefilling the oil filter. What have you guys done if anything? Any suggestions are appreciated.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post07-02-2019 04:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
When starting an engine that has sat for a long time, its a good idea to first fog the cylinders well with oil before doing so. You did change the oil and fill the filter so if you turn it over a few times (without the fuel pump fuse) and then start it up, the pump should be primed and you should be ok.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Spintech/Hedman Exhaust, P-log Manifold, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, Champion Radiator, S10 Brake Booster, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

BadNewsBrendan

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-03-2019 12:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BadNewsBrendanSend a Private Message to BadNewsBrendanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the tips Dennis, got it started with out any issues so far.

[This message has been edited by BadNewsBrendan (edited 07-03-2019).]

cmechmann

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-03-2019 09:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cmechmannSend a Private Message to cmechmannEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I know it's a little late but we prime using a hand held pump like an A/C oil charger. Kind of like a caulking gun but has a fitting on the end of the tube that you can put on a hose. Then attach it where the oil sending unit would go. Prime until you feel resistance.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock