Clutch pedal back in, now no gauges... by CSM842M4
Started on: 06-26-2019 05:47 PM
Replies: 10 (215 views)
Last post by: CSM842M4 on 07-12-2019 10:09 PM
CSM842M4

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-26-2019 05:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CSM842M4Send a Private Message to CSM842M4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This one is stumping me. Had to pull the clutch pedal in the wife's '84 while replacing the clutch master cylinder. Got it all back together, got the clutch bled, and prepared to take a test spin. Turned the key and started the engine, but got no activity in the instrument panel. Tach is stuck around 1500, temp gauge is in the middle of the scale, voltmeter is past the left end of the scale, and no bulb check. I'm prepared to believe there's a ground problem, but I don't remember disconnecting anything. Also, the "gauges" fuse shows good on both ends. We're a phone call away from taking the car to get new tires, but I don't want to drive it without working gauges. Any advice? Thanks in advance - Chris

[This message has been edited by CSM842M4 (edited 06-26-2019).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Gall757

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post06-26-2019 07:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You have been working around where the dimmer switch is located. See if it is off or disconnected.
CSM842M4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-27-2019 09:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CSM842M4Send a Private Message to CSM842M4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks, as always, Gall757. Not sure how the dimmer switch/wiring/connector could cause everything I'm experiencing, but these ARE strange little cars, and as one of the heavy hitters on this forum, I'm certain you've got way more experience and expertise than I can hope for. So that will be the direction I head when I get home from work tonight. Thanks again, I will update as soon as there's news. - Chris
Gall757

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-27-2019 09:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It does sound like there is more than one issue going on. Don't confuse my number of posts with actual knowledge.....I've just been around for a while.
olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post06-27-2019 10:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Check you fuse box, you may have jarred something loose.
CSM842M4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-27-2019 05:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CSM842M4Send a Private Message to CSM842M4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
See, these are the kinds of issues that make me wish the electrical diagrams in the Chilton's manual were more extensive. It would be cool to be able to trace more than where the cigarette lighter plug light gets power from...
olejoedad

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-27-2019 06:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Factory Service Manuals are available, it's the only way to go...
Gall757

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-27-2019 10:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You can have this one....

CSM842M4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-02-2019 09:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CSM842M4Send a Private Message to CSM842M4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I don't know what manual that diagram isthe out of, Gall757, but its quite the bomb. I'm guessing the FSM? Anyway, I just got to be in the car for a minute, and the grounds on both multi-pin connectors are grounded, and the pink/blacks get battery voltage. So, the mystery continues. Hate to think I'm going to have to pull the instrument panel out, but it wouldn't be the first time.
olejoedad

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-02-2019 10:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That's a nice diagram, but it's not from the FSM.
CSM842M4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-12-2019 10:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CSM842M4Send a Private Message to CSM842M4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well, after ringing out all the traces on the circuit film and checking power, ground, signal and all in the wiring connectors, I plugged the connectors into the panel before throwing everything back together. Panel appeared to work as it should. Speedo was hanging around 25-30 mph, but it may just do that until it gets a signal. Hope to have enough free time to put everything back together soon, test drive it again and get it to the tire shop. Thanks for all the help - Chris
PFF
System Bot

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock