Mating a Fiberfab Avenger GT kit to a Fiero by DroKnows
Started on: 06-22-2019 10:17 AM
Replies: 17 (1122 views)
Last post by: La fiera on 07-04-2019 10:08 PM
DroKnows

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-22-2019 10:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DroKnowsSend a Private Message to DroKnowsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I bought an Fiberfab Avenger GT kit from eBay. Currently sitting on a VW Beetle pan. I realized that I will be severely limited with horsepower and handling keeping the VW frame soI after comparing Beetle and Fiero measurements I got a 1987 Fiero donor car for the project. Has anyone on here done this before? I found a few pics off the web, so I know it has been done. I just wanted to hear some firsthand experience.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
sourmash

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 50
User Banned

Report this Post06-22-2019 10:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sourmashSend a Private Message to sourmashEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Haven't any experience, but would it not be easier to put in a 915 Porsche trans and any sort of higher torque engine with an bellhousing adapter?
DroKnows

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-22-2019 10:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DroKnowsSend a Private Message to DroKnowsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I plan on putting a SBC in. Not sure about the transmission yet. MY concern is body fitment at the moment
fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 258
Rate this member

Report this Post06-22-2019 01:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
There is an old thread where someone started doing the same thing and ran into lots of issues with wheel base, track width, and Fiero structure.

He basically cut the body down the center to make it wide enough for the Fiero, cut it along the length to make it longer, and hacked the vast majority of the fiero structure away.

VW based kit car bodies only have the vw floor pan to contend with.

Possible, but a huge undertaking...

Edit:
Found the old thread:
//www.fiero.nl/cgi-bin...3242&style=printable

[This message has been edited by fieroguru (edited 06-22-2019).]

Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post06-22-2019 01:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by DroKnows:

I bought an Fiberfab Avenger GT kit from eBay.

Just so we can all see what you're referring to...

sourmash

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 50
User Banned

Report this Post06-22-2019 09:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sourmashSend a Private Message to sourmashEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fieroguru:

There is an old thread where someone started doing the same thing and ran into lots of issues with wheel base, track width, and Fiero structure.

He basically cut the body down the center to make it wide enough for the Fiero, cut it along the length to make it longer, and hacked the vast majority of the fiero structure away.

VW based kit car bodies only have the vw floor pan to contend with.

Possible, but a huge undertaking...

Edit:
Found the old thread:
//www.fiero.nl/cgi-bin...3242&style=printable

I heard a craft beer show once talking about their alcohol free beer. They called it "Why Bother?"
DroKnows

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-22-2019 09:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DroKnowsSend a Private Message to DroKnowsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the info. Wonder if the guy ever finished the project.
Larryinkc

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-23-2019 09:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for LarryinkcSend a Private Message to LarryinkcEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
DroKnows

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-23-2019 10:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DroKnowsSend a Private Message to DroKnowsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Cool, very helpful. Found these pics of the exact kit I bought, mounted to a Fiero.

[This message has been edited by DroKnows (edited 06-23-2019).]

cvxjet

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-23-2019 05:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cvxjetSend a Private Message to cvxjetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Personally, I would go with the LS4 V8...Much lighter, and has the bellhousing shape for the Transverse transmissions. With a Iron SBC, you will be worse than 40/60 % weight distribution to the rear- spooky handling.....

They were in 2005-9 Pontiac Grand Prix, Chevy Monte Carlo/Impala and Buick LaCrosse.

How much structure is under the FG body? That will tell you how much Fiero structure you will have to cut away. Also, compare Wheelbase and track width to see how much the body has to be stretched to fit over a Fiero chassis.
DroKnows

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-23-2019 06:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DroKnowsSend a Private Message to DroKnowsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The kitcar is coming in from ND sometime in mid-July. Soon as it comes, I'll start taking measurements. LS4 is not out of the question.

[This message has been edited by DroKnows (edited 06-23-2019).]

PFF
System Bot
cvxjet

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-23-2019 07:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cvxjetSend a Private Message to cvxjetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just checked- Fiero has 93.4" wheelbase and VW Beetle has 94.5" wheelbase.....width is 68.9" Fiero and 60" for Beetle- but actual beetle body used very narrow tires, while your Avenger would use much wider tires/wheels.......so Avenger body should be substantially wider......Can't find actual specs.....
BillS

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-03-2019 02:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BillSSend a Private Message to BillSEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Biggest issues with using an old body with a modern chassis is the fact that the newer stuff is usually way wider - in your case you need to 'lose' a whole 10" of width. Which means a huge amount of chop and glassing and that if you just widen the whole body, you'll never find a windshield to fit it. Even finding the original Corvair glass might b a challenge today.

You'd probably be way better off to create a new chassis that fits the body and stick whatever drivetrain you want into it. In other words, forget about the Fiero connection entirely. It is possible to build a V8 powered car based on a VW floorpan, but the suspension isn't ideal and the reinforcements needed are significant. Fiberfab did the new chassis thing and called it the GT15.

At least the Fiberfab bodies were pretty good quality. This is my Fiberfab Jamaican based on an MGA chassis, ironically using Fiero components (well, at least a 3.4 GM V6)

DroKnows

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-03-2019 03:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DroKnowsSend a Private Message to DroKnowsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Beautiful car! The Fiero should only be 6 inches wider but the tires on a Fiero are much wider than a beetle so hopefully there is only a 1-2 inch difference. Already having problem with the shipper. The Avenger was supposed to be here in July, now it's pushes back to August.
olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post07-03-2019 05:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
A friend of mine built an Avenger on a VW pan, but used Corvair front and rear suspension and a Corvair flat six that was cranked up to about 300 HP.

It was a LOT of fun.
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post07-03-2019 09:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Almost anything can be made to fit with anything but it all comes down to how much you want to spend and how much time you have to put into the project. The fiberfab body design is quite old but IMO it was ahead of its time. Good luck on the project but get ready to do some frame work.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Spintech/Hedman Exhaust, P-log Manifold, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, Champion Radiator, S10 Brake Booster, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

Neils88

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 56
Rate this member

Report this Post07-03-2019 10:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Neils88Send a Private Message to Neils88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This should be an interesting build. I hope you post your progress! Good luck with it!
La fiera

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-04-2019 10:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for La fieraSend a Private Message to La fieraEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by BillS:

At least the Fiberfab bodies were pretty good quality. This is my Fiberfab Jamaican based on an MGA chassis, ironically using Fiero components (well, at least a 3.4 GM V6)

WOW Bill, that is beautiful!!!!!!

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock